We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfares from San Francisco

El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Airfares from San Francisco

Should I consider a ~$600 roundtrip airfare from SFO to Kauai good for October, or should I hold out a little longer for a lower fare to come up? The above fare would include a non-stop flight in one direction and a single stop on the return (redeye).

Also, have any of you used the United discount coupons from the Entertainment book? The coupon says you receive $75 off roundtrips for selected flights if the original RT fare is over a certain amount (I forget the exact amount, but Hawaii fares were definitely above the threshold), but when we checked the rates online using the provided discount code, the rate that came up was only $15 less than what was offered before we put in a discount code. Also, even though I have multiple coupons, there didn't seem to be a way to book discounted tickets for 2 passengers at the same time. Do any of you know if/how this discount can be used for 2 people (without having to make 2 separate reservations)?

Thanks for any help.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfares from San Francisco

Is this a United flight? It's not a bad fare, but you may do better searching the other airlines, too. Hawaiian recently had a big fare sale- something like $400 RT from SFO. ATA also flies out of SFO. And Aloha and North American Air also fly out of Oakland. I'd suggest checking hteir websites directly. Of course, flying direct to Kauai may add a bit to the fare compared to flying to Oahu.

Vallejo, California
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfares from San Francisco

I agree with macjack; I think you should definitely shop around. I just went to Expedia and was able to pull up flights in October for 489 RT SFO-Lihue (that was with Hawaiian); >$600 was on the expensive end (I selected midweek flights, by the way, since they are often cheaper). Also, if you are willing to fly out of Oakland, your options double - it's worth checking. And like Macjack said, check the airlines' sites directly for any specials they may have running. ATA, Aloha, Hawaiian, etc.

Something you might want to follow up on: I was at the Aloha Festival in SF this past weekend, and Aloha Airlines had a booth there and they were handing out flyers advertising $278 RT! Not sure of the dates for that special because I left my flyer at home, but you could always call them up and ask! Tell them you got the flyer but can't find it or something, and ask how you can get that fare!

El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfares from San Francisco

Yes, I the fare I referred to was for United. United and ATA appear to be the only ones that have any direct flights from SF or Oakland to Lihue, and the ATA direct flights are only on Saturday, which won't work for us. I'll take another look at Aloha or some of the other airlines, but it seemed like their schedules weren't very good and turned 5.5 hrs of flying time into 10+ hour trips with the plane changes. And I don't think Aloha had a red-eye option for the trip back. Another option we've thought about was booking a RT to Honolulu, then a separate RT from Honolulu to Kauai, but I don't think that would lower the cost much (if at all), and then I think we'd probably have to get our own luggage from 1 airline to the other.

I'm only going to have 7 days for my trip, so I want to minimize the amount of time spent traveling and waiting at airports.

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfares from San Francisco

United, American and ATA all fly direct into Lihue, but you're right, ATA only has one flight per week. Given the substantial savings of Hawaiian Airlines over United, a lot of people choose to go through Honolulu instead of direct. The layover is usually only about an hour unless the interisland flight you want is full. Sign up for their frequent flyer program and you could save even more, and book on their website, not through Expedia or anybody like that.

Another bonus is that Hawaiian flies wide-body 767's to and from the mainland to Honolulu, United flies narrow-body, one aisle 757's direct to Lihue. Hawaiian still serves meals and United you have to buy something if you want to eat. United is notoriously late and Hawaiian is always on-time or early!!

I would book October as soon as possible before the rates start going up.

CA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfares from San Francisco

Can you fly out of Oakland instead? Suntrips always has lower rates. We just paid 349 per person for a flight in October.

Rocky Mountains
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfares from San Francisco

Consider checking out the kayak.com search engine. It searches all airline web sites, other search engines, and nearby airports for less expensive flights. It's saved me time and money on more than one occasion.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfares from San Francisco

Would Friday work? Try Suntrips out of Oakland. I am playing the waiting game for fares in November. Have been lucky two years in a row, getting in direct for +/- $350.00 all.

El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfares from San Francisco

Flying out of Oakland would be great. But it doesn't look like Suntrips offers enough (or any) flexibility as far as travel dates and times. I guess schedule flexibility is worth paying a bit more for the trip, so I'll probably end up going with United. With such a long flight, I really prefer being able to take a red-eye flight eastbound so I don't feel like I'm wasting a whole day of my vacation. And if I had to take an early afternoon flight home, then I'd probably want to stay 1 day more and then have to pay for another night of lodging.

To correct a previous post on this thread, American Airlines only has 'direct' flights to Kauai from LAX, not from the SF area.

california
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfares from San Francisco

You might try suntrips again. I entered a search to leave on 9-17-05 and there was no availability, then about a week later I tried again and lo and behold they had a heck of a deal. You may also want to check with your local triple A office if you are a member! Good luck

California
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Airfares from San Francisco

I paid $469 RT for non-stop flight from LAX to LIH mid Oct weeday travel. I bought the tkts online on airtohawaii.com If you get Air+car, then you get their best fares.