We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai-one great thing to do

Nj
Level Contributor
216 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai-one great thing to do

We will be in Kauai for one weekend at the end of October. If we had time to do only one great thing, what do you suggest? At that time of year is there any great snorkelling beach (maybe that would make two great things)? Thanks!!!!

Archdale, North...
Level Contributor
110 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai-one great thing to do

Take a helicopter tour of the island.

My wife and I made our only trip to Kauai in May for 1 week. Of everything we did, and it was alot, that was our highlight. You will get different opinions about which company is best. Since I have only done one I can't compare the companies. Personally, I think about any of them would be a highlight.

Doug

Vallejo, California
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai-one great thing to do

helicopter ride, definitely! We went Interisland bec. they fly with no doors in a small copter - it was one of the most awesome experiences of my life! And if you fly early (which is the best time anyway), you still have the whole day to enjoy in other activities like snorkeling!

Somewhere near the...
Level Contributor
493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai-one great thing to do

drivinggirl: Maybe I'm just too much of a romantic, but to me, if I had only ONE "great" thing to do on Kaua'i, it would be to go to the south side of the island near Poi'pu (or Waimea, or Hanapepe, or even out on Polihale Beach), hold hands with your significant other (or just be by yourself, if you're alone), and watch the sunset (with a glass of champagne, or your favorite beverage). [Free of charge for the view, plus the cost of your favorite beverage]

Or, go up to the top of Waimea, climb out onto one of the summits which overlook the view to Ni'ihau, and again enjoy one of your favorite beverages with your S.O.

Possibly, take a sunset cruise beyond the Na Pali coast.... some come with beverage, some don't.... [cost slightly higher for rental of boat]

And finally, take a copter ride...... (no beverages allowed, sadly).... but great views. (The most expensive of any of the options, but definitely worth the money, if this is your one and only time on the island.)

Aloha, and have a grand time.

Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai-one great thing to do

ANYTHING you do in Kauai is great! What better place on earth can you possibly visit! Everyone will tell you to snorkel at Ke'e or Tunnels - they are great but crowded - if you want the fish but not the people - the hike down to Hideaways Beach - it's an absolute gem - seeing the reef from above will take your breath away! ENJOY! LUCKY YOU!!!!!

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai-one great thing to do

For me it would be the Napali Sunset Cruise. I'd choose that over a helicopter tour, but that's a personal preference thing :)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai-one great thing to do

One great thing for me would be the Interisland Helicopter company's open-door helicopter flight over Kauai. Then, go snorkeling which, as you state, "will make two great things." Poipu beach is good for snorkeling and is just a few miles from where Interisland Helicopter is located at Port Allen. Wish you had more time on Kauai!

Aloha!

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai-one great thing to do

In my mind, the helicopter ride (with InterIsland, of course) only slight edges out the McBryde National Tropical Botanic Garden. The heli ride was exhilarating and tested my courage somewhat, but the Garden was full of the most bizarre exotic plants like nothing I'd seen before.

See for yourself:

www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp…

Nj
Level Contributor
216 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai-one great thing to do

Thank you to everyone who responded. I think the heli tour might be the one great thing. The hike in Waimea or beach -- not sure. My really true one great thing, as suggested by many of you, is just to spend time (w/o kids) with my husband. Thanks again! :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai-one great thing to do

BLUEFLAMINGO: Just wanted to say that I LOVED your photos - they were just incredible! I wanted to go to the gardens, but was traveling at the time w/kids who weren't so interested. My next trip to Kauai, I will be sure to include that! Brings back even the smell to me of Kauai - wish I were heading there right now . . . thanks for sharing.

Drivinggirl: What ever you do, just relax and enjoy it with the one you love - a sunset, a nice dinner, and the sights and sounds of Kauai - couldn't ask for anything better. Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kauai-one great thing to do

Thanks - I learned how to use the MACRO lens and that made all the difference! We're going to check out Na Aina Kai garden this next time - it's more of a planned garden with statuary, etc. and you have to take a tour - no wandering off on your own allowed - but I'm sure it will still be amazing.

I have the picture of the white orchid as my wallpaper on my computer as a constant reminder of how gorgeous Kauai is!