We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finally realized what was so life-changing about my trip...

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Finally realized what was so life-changing about my trip...

Aloha all! I had posted at the end of October about my wonderful Hawaiian honeymoon, and how it seems to have changed me as a person in some way. Even though we've been back at home for about 6 weeks now, I find Hawaii creeping into my waking thoughts, as well as into my dreams at night. My husband laughs and says I'm obsessed, but I just cannot say enough good things about our trip...in fact, I've told him, and several other people, that we could go back and do the EXACT SAME vacation from start to finish, and I'd be thrilled! It was really that amazing! So of course I was pretty excited when a "light bulb" recently went off as I continued to wonder what it was, exactly, that made Hawaii so special. I could list the numerous activities we enjoyed, sights we saw, etc., etc., but what I think it really boils down to is that Hawaii has restored some sense of faith in me. Faith that I can still get really excited about something, and not have my hopes dashed. Faith that there is a place, somewhere out there, where I was not, in the course of 12 days, disappointed once. Not once! Amazement that I had started out our trip thinking that we were visiting a place that was likely overrated, yet left feeling like no amount of good literature and rave reviews about Hawaii could do it justice. When my days become crazy and chaotic and I feel like there is little comfort left here on earth, I think of our short time in Hawaii, and am reminded that there is so much to be thankful for. Now if only we could get back there sooner rather than later...

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Finally realized what was so life-changing about my trip...

Isabellasnapple, How beautiful! Thanks

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finally realized what was so life-changing about my trip...

I've been back there 7 times so far and I still feel that way, too.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,077 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finally realized what was so life-changing about my trip...

Beautiful sentiments! Thanks for sharing.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finally realized what was so life-changing about my trip...

I feel the same way. I just can't get Hawaii out of my mind even with Christmas so close. Our time there was the most enjoyable of any vacations we have taken.

Seattle
Level Contributor
127 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finally realized what was so life-changing about my trip...

Totally agree with you. This was our 7th trip and I really want to stay longer next time. I saw the stress get erased from my husbands face and for a week it was just about the two of us and beautiful Kauai.

Drums, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finally realized what was so life-changing about my trip...

Isabella,

What wonderful thoughts.

My wife and I have traveled to Kauai 20 times since 1985 and we figure we have spent one year of our lives on Kauai on vacation.

We both still feel that same magic, that same "faith" you felt on your first trip and we hope we will continue to feel it for years to come.

162 Days and counting for our 21st Kauai visit.

A blessed Holiday Season to All

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Finally realized what was so life-changing about my trip...

So nice, as always, to hear that others feel the same way. Janie, I hear you perfectly...the stress of having planned a wedding, along with regular old, everyday stress, was erased from BOTH of our faces, and didn't return until we were on our way home (thanks to United Airlines!) Feeling sheltered from daily hassles and responsibilities was definitely part of the magic of Hawaii. I told my husband that we NEED to go back for one of our anniversaries, but I'm thinking more like our 5th (as opposed to 10th, 25th, etc.)...I just don't think I can wait that long =)

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finally realized what was so life-changing about my trip...

Our trips to Kauai are the only vacations I remember where I really felt like I had a vacation and didn't have to come back hone and "recover" from my vacation. Our first trip to Hawaii was about 28 years ago - just 3 days on each of 4 islands - but there was something about Kauai that made us fall in love with it. Although it took 20 years until we could return again, we we then able to go back only 5 years later and begin a stretch of three years in a row to Kauai including next summer - what a great blessing!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finally realized what was so life-changing about my trip...

Your thoughts are very similar to mine.

The first time I left Hawaii, I cried all the way to the airport, during lunch at the airport, during the flight and for 2 weeks later. My husband thought I was nuts.

I still cry when I listen to Bruddah Iz's Somewhere over the Rainbow.

Why did I cry? I think it was because I was so sad to be leaving paradise. When I am in Hawaii, I have no worries, no stress, no pressures. It is the only vacation I have ever taken that does that to me.

Hawaii captured my heart and soul. We're working on our 3rd visit in February and I can already smell the plumeria.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Finally realized what was so life-changing about my trip...

ah, the magic of Kauai! I still remember that first trip, where I felt someone should pinch me, as the beauty was so incredible it seemed unreal. That first trip was for 16 days, and I still did not want to return home . . . got all choked up heading to the airport. As with a few of the others, it is the most relaxing vacation I have ever had . . . and while I have had other trips to other beautiful places, they do not leave me choked up. Maui was fun and beautiful, but it just did not enchant me the way Kauai has. For some folks, it's a wet place with not enough to do - for me, it was life changing - something that got under my skin and hasn't let go of. Not sure when I'll get back, but Kauai is about the only place I think of every day and probably one of the reasons I visit this forum almost daily. I am glad you got to experience such a unique and special place - it is a wonderful thing to carry in your heart. Mahalo for sharing such special thoughts with the rest of us. :)