We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kona low hammering us

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Kona low hammering us

We've had 2-3 inches this afternoon into the evening here on the east side. This after 5 inches the first time this system hit us Wed PM into Thursday. At 4:30 it was so dark it seemed like 7 PM. We still have flash flood alerts for Kauai and Oahu as of the 9 PM weather report.

This "low is pulling away to the North but very slowly" according the the Weather report on Channel 5. They predict rainy for sat/sun, bit better for Mon/Tues but back again Wed/Th.

Ugh. Starting to feel like 2006.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kona low hammering us

10 PM news reporting numerous sewage spills on Oahu and statewide brown water alerts. Oahu took the biggest whack in this particular storm but we're going to be the ones with the rain hanging around the longest.

Much as Kauai need the tourist $, Maui may be a better bet at this time.

Princeville, Kaua`i...
Level Contributor
301 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kona low hammering us

Aloha from Princeville...

Rain began again Friday afternoon, and hasn't stopped for more than a few minutes since then. Thunder and lightning during the night, and again this morning.

Flash flood watch has been extended through tonight.

At least the winds seemed to abated somewhat, but it's gonna be a soggy, soggy day on the north shore today.

Brown water alert is still in effect -- nasty stuffs coming down the streams and rivers:

"The public is advised to stay out of flood waters (brown water)that may contain pollutants from overflowing cesspools, sewer manholes, animal wastes, dead animals, pesticides, chemicals, and associated flood debris. The public should also stay out of coastal waters impacted by storm water runoff near stream mouths and drainage ditches. If the coastal water is brown, stay out."

Chicago
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kona low hammering us

"Much as Kauai need the tourist $, Maui may be a better bet at this time."

You're correct about Maui. Yesterday was great here and today looks to be shaping up to be another good one. Just looked at the radar for you guys. Not nice. :( Hope it clears soon!

Princeville, Kaua`i...
Level Contributor
301 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kona low hammering us

Aloha from (soggy) Princeville...

It's still raining buckets here...no let up since last night, and this is definitely not a light rain. KKCR radio got the following message from the County this morning:

As of 0318 hrs, December 13, 2008, the Hanalei Bridge is closed to any traffic. As of 0500 hrs, the Hanalei River still shows signs of rising. The ocean tide is going down to help stem the rising river level. Drivers are advised to use caution.

Debris from runoff and ponding conditions are present on all parts of Kauai’s highways. The County of Kauai – Public Works and the State of Hawaii – Highways Divisions are working to correct any hazardous situations at this time.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kona low hammering us

Tough to feel sorry for a pro surfer, but I felt bad for competitors in the Pipeline Master final day on Oahu's north shore yesterday. The waves were nice size and shape, but it looked like they were surfing a big chocolate fountain - yuck!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kona low hammering us

We arrived in Kauai Friday afternoon and are planning to stay until next Friday. I have to say that we're very disappointed. It isn't anyone's fault, but still very disappointing to have such bad weather for our 20th anniversary trip. We booked this trip last April.

We're talking about how to salvage this vacation and considering taking a day trip to the Big Island on Monday.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kona low hammering us

Aloha from Kaua'i!

You might take a look at a fairly recent thread here that dealt with "rainy day activities on Kaua'i" - I think it was a couple of weeks ago - it might give you a few ideas!

It is always junk - as much as we desperately need the rain - it always is going to affect someone's vacation - that is the bummer part.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,710 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kona low hammering us

Any news on the roads going west? I heard that Waimea was experiencing some flooding and that the road up to Waimea Canyon were washed out. Any truth to these reports?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kona low hammering us

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I heard that it has been raining as far west as Waimea and Kekaha - I haven't heard anything about road conditions up at Koke'e Park - I wouldn't want to venture up there today however!

Certain areas of Waimea and Kekaha always flood in these types of conditions - they are on secondary roads however and shouldn't effect the main road.

Don't know about the highway fronting Kekaha Beach though - that sometimes takes a beating.

Anyone from the far west to report here?

Malama Pono,

Janet

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,982 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kona low hammering us

we are also here for our vacation, but oh, well....it is snowing where we come from.

i have enough fresh fruit, veges ect from all the farmers markets, lots of imbibing mixtures, and good books. this is what the islands are all about in the winter...that is why they are so lush.

i feel for the guys in hanalei, as yesterday they were putting up tents for a sale and entertainment...but we will try and get there in a while...i have never heard or experineced rain like this in my life. the thunder and lightning, as long as it doesnt' hurt anyone, is wonderful...nature at its finest.

if you are on vacation, grab and umbrella, and go shopping. the towns will need the money and it is just rain and warm at the same time.

aloha