We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recyling on Kauai

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Recyling on Kauai

When traveling, I try to recycle what I can, especially if I'm there for any length of time. On an island it seems even more important to recycle.

I've been on Kauai now for over a week and have found drop off bins to recycle most things & thought other visitors might like to know. Here's a link. Note they don't take everything you may be used to recycling.

kauai.gov/Government/…Default.aspx

Yikes that's a long link.Here's a smaller one, I hope:

http://tinyurl.com/kauairecycle.

My only problem has been finding a place to take back deposit bottles and cans. Many beverage containers have a 5 cent deposit. The Koloa location was supposed to be open Thursdays and Sundays next to the fire station. We couldn't find anything near the fire station.

Anyone have any tips on finding this or should I just go to the Resource Center near the airport?

Thanks!

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recyling on Kauai

Those multiplying plastic shopping bags...they can go in bins at Walmart, Safeway or the Kauai Resource Center on Ahukini Rd near the airport.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recyling on Kauai

The last two trips we've made they had the deposit in effect and we left all deposit containers in one area for the housekeepers. And both times they were very thankful for them. A little extra money they don't have to report and they don't have to dig them out of the garbage which I believe most resorts and condos make them do.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recyling on Kauai

For visitors, it may not be convenient or possible to get to the redemption centers while they are open, to redeem your 5 cents per bottle. But still go ahead and rinse them and set them aside. If you don't get a chance to get to one of the many collection centers for recyclables before you leave, don't put them directly in the trash. Ask any onsite staff where you are staying if any of the staff collects the beverage containers (bottles) with the HI 5 labels.

The manager or other staff member might know someone who would be happy to get a bag of bottles, maybe one of the gardeners or caretakers of the property. Also, many visitors might not realize that those down on their luck make the rounds to the resort dumpsters after dark looking for those bottles. You can make it easier by having them bagged in advance.

Enumclaw, WA
Level Contributor
751 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recyling on Kauai

hula4me has good advice. My husband and I take our deposit bottles and set them aside right next to the dumpsters. They always seem to disappear nearly immediately.

About 10 or more years ago, there was a homeless guy who kind of hung around the Wailua Bayview area. He was very unobtrusive, didn't make waves, and in fact just kind of quietly went about picking up litter on the beach and keeping the dumpster courtyard looking good. He kind of had a little spot in the garbage area behind the fence where he'd sit on a milk crate and read newspapers and magazines he found in the trash during the day. At night we saw him make his way down to the beach after dark where I think he kind of had a tent/nest in the rocky area at the far north end of the beach. When we left, my husband carefully wrapped up our leftover food (snacky type stuff--crackers, bagels, cheese, chips, nuts etc.) with a couple of frozen water bottles for cooling and left it next to the dumpster when we were cleaning out the condo on our last day. When we drove past on our way to the airport, we could see through the slats in the fence that he'd found the stash we'd left him and was happily eating a bagel and cream cheese.

I don't know if by helping the individual we somehow hurt society--that's a larger debate. I'll only say it felt good, and he seemed to appreciate it.

I know 15 years ago there used to be a group on Maui who distributed marked bags that tourists could put their unopened and unused non-perishable food into to leave for volunteers to pick-up and take to the food bank. I thought that was a brilliant idea, but I only saw it that one time. Is there anything like that on Kauai now?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recyling on Kauai

Aloha from Kaua'i!

We are religious about recycling and the redemption center here in the Po'ipu area is open on Sundays - it is immediately adjacent to the fire station and is on the left if you are facing the station. It is usually just 2 guys and a little tent most of the time, easy to miss.

It has been open every Sunday - my hubby went last Sunday to redeem his recycles (he does it every Sunday) - it you are diligent about it (he runs every morning and also picks up recycles at a couple of parks) you can have a nice little savings from it - we put aside our "recycle" money every year for something for the house - this year we bought a 40" HD widescreen TV with just the monies from one year of recycling redemption. Sweet!

The other cardboard/glass recycle station is in the parking lot at Brennecke's Beach Broiler here in the Po'ipu area. There is also one behind K-Mart in Lihu'e.

Recycling - it should be a way of life here for everyone.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recyling on Kauai

Thanks Janet! I'm thinking they might have closed up a bit early last Thursday as when we stopped with our bottles about 3, there was nothing/no one at the fire station. No problem, we drove up to the Lawai Post Office this morning and cleared out all our recycling stuff. And got a good rinsing in the process!

We are in a VRBO home and so our options are limited as far as leaving stuff in the hopes that someone will want to redeem or recycle it.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,452 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recyling on Kauai

i don't think we use anything that has a deposit, but we are VERY big recyclers...i am amazed at the bins EVERYWHERE..in Kilauea yesterday, there were some that were 10 feet apart!!!

much better than where i come from. they make it very hard for us, but we still do it...i feel much better and thank you kauai for making it so easy on us...aloha

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recyling on Kauai

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"I know 15 years ago there used to be a group on Maui who distributed marked bags that tourists could put their unopened and unused non-perishable food into to leave for volunteers to pick-up and take to the food bank. I thought that was a brilliant idea, but I only saw it that one time. Is there anything like that on Kauai now?"

I'm afraid we don't have anything like that set up to my knowledge - but canned items can always be taken down to the Food Bank in Nawiliwili (it is on the way to the airport more or less) - I know several times when we've gone down to the recycle bins at Brennecke's people have left full six packs of beer and other beverages sitting out in hopes of someone taking them - I don't think they sat out very long!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recyling on Kauai

one of the best things a visitor can do is quit using the little water bottles....get a canteen or re your bottle...fill it up every day....the hungreds of thousand of plastic bottels here never get recycled.

Our water is safe to drink.....

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recyling on Kauai

WAmayberry -- if you are interested, the long term homeless guy on Wailua beach was eventually coaxed into housing. There was a long story about his situation in the local paper a few years back when he passed on. Nice that you tried to help.

You can get your deposit back down in Nawiliwili at Reynolds Recycling (if they haven't changed the name). They have another site up Kawaihau Road in Kapaa open tues-sat except for a 1.5 lunch break. No reverse vending machines here unf.