We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting a convertible when forecast is rain showers

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
renting a convertible when forecast is rain showers

hi, we have booked a convertible for our trip to maui. weather forecast for kauai is (unfortunately) rain showers. Is it worth renting a convertible (for all that extra money) when it's going to rain all day?

I do not know what it means when the weather forecast says 'rain showers' for the islands of hawaii. does it mean constant rains or just occasional downpurs throughout the day?

Locals/experts please help!!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: renting a convertible when forecast is rain showers

You don't mention your dates or where you will be staying or spending most of your driving time on Kauai... The south shore and west side are considerably drier than in the foothills of the mountains and the north shore.

If you're coming in the summer time, go for it. December - February are our rainiest months, so you'll want to watch the weather and make the call closer to your dates.

No matter where you are, if the forecast for your area says less than 30% "chance of showers" they are likely only passing showers lasting only a few minutes each and you'll have considerable sunshine or at least dry and overcast weather. That's my experience anyway. If the forecast is 40% or more, you will likely have less down time for your convertible top, between downpours. You still might get the top down enough to make it worth your while up until it's 60% chance or more. Forecasts don't always come true and usually look far worse than reality.

Sometimes we do get weeks where it rains a good portion of each day. Hard to predict very far in advance. You can usually find the dry weather somewhere. Only you can tell if it's worth the extra money for the chance to have the top down once in a while. Will you be driving a lot - or just getting to your destination and enjoying the outdoors?

A convertible can be nice, if you enjoy the feel of freedom and the added visibility as you are enjoying the beauty along the road. If you are really in doubt as to whether you'll get your money's worth, you might just reserve a basic car, then see if the rental car office is offering free upgrades to convertibles at the time. Sometimes they do that. (Though lately it seems to be the gas guzzlers they are upgrading folks to.)

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: renting a convertible when forecast is rain showers

please read the answers to the same question you posted only 10 min ago

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: renting a convertible when forecast is rain showers

Thanks, this has been very helpful.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,710 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: renting a convertible when forecast is rain showers

Hubby was on Kauai in early December with a friend and they rented a convertible. Even though it rained quite a bit, they still were able to take advantage of putting the top down when the sun came out.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: renting a convertible when forecast is rain showers

Here's a web site that gives the hour-by-hour record of temp, wind and rain for Lihue on Dec 23, 2008. You can reset it for any past day you want.

I think it gives a pretty good idea of rain patterns in Kauai - more rain at night, with showers posssible at any time, but not usually lasting very long, and maybe only once or twice a day in an amount sufficient to measure (or put the top up):

wunderground.com/history/…

Hank

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: renting a convertible when forecast is rain showers

It is the tropics, and for those thinking about renting a convertable.....

We have passing showers, very short lived , almost every day, some place on the island.

The convertable tops, go up and down with the touch of a button, and click of two latches, no problemo.

I would say, that if you want a convertable, take a look at the weather pattern, and forcasts for the time you will be here ( for full blown storms ), and make your decision.

We have been upgraded twice to convertables on the big island, seibrings, and thought they were great.

We did have a little rain, but just kept the top up, until it passed, and then unzip, snap, snap, whirrr, whirrr, and let the breeze and sun flow by.

Have a great time....ahhhhhhhhh...sniff the fragrances, and just flat enjoy.

Denny

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,982 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: renting a convertible when forecast is rain showers

i say go for it...they are so easy to put up and down, and you really can SMELL the islands...

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
319 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: renting a convertible when forecast is rain showers

Speaking from experience, I'd be more worried about sun exposure than rain. I was sunburned for weeks last year after a day of top-down Sebring. Use more sunblock than you think you'll need, and get a broad brimmed hat that secures under your chin so it won't blow off.

As far as rain, if it's a light shower and you are in motion, you probably won't even get wet. Once you slow down it's another story. Look for a place you can pull off - you can't lower or raise the top unless the car is in park.

It's still a fun experience and I would encourage you to try it.

Pekin, IL
Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: renting a convertible when forecast is rain showers

Aloha,

Go for the convertible if you don't need to put a ton of stuff in the trunk...no room at all in the new Sebring's trunk when the top is down. We had one for ten days in September and only got caught once in a significant shower when we were coming back from the Waimea Canyon. Pulled over, put the top up and we were on our way. No different than having a sedan if the top if up so you have nothing to lose and even an hour with the top down is liberating! If you follow the suggestions of the TAers you can get a great deal on one.

Enjoy your trip.

Vikki

FL
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: renting a convertible when forecast is rain showers

We rented a Mustang convertible on the BI and a Jeep convertible on Kauai last month. I agree with the previous post to consider how much luggage you'll have. We had a problem fitting our 4 bags--for the wedding and honeymoon--into the Mustang and into the Jeep. We were only able to fit them into the Mustang when the top was down.

Other than that, I don't think you need to worry about the weather. It rained quite a bit while we were in Kauai, but our only problem was that our particular Jeep had a leaky roof, and as a result the floor was consistently covered in water. Alamo gave us a credit for it when we brought the Jeep back in and told them of the problem.