We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Local Eats!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,923 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Good Local Eats!

There are pasteles - sort of Filipino tamales - available just north of Kapa`a, south of Kealia beach, makai (oceanward) of Kuhio Highway. Pork and chicken available. I just had the pork for lunch. Yummy!

Huli chicken at Anahola mauka (mountainward) of Kuhio Highway. I've had it from here before - it's delicious. They sell halves; if you have the means to cut them up they're great for dinner. Refrigerate, they would be a nice addition to your lunch cooler for the beach.

California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Local Eats!

"pasteles"..

Oh that's what they are. A type of tamale!!! I saw signs last weekend with people selling them (one was near the airport) and didn't know what they were. If you see signs for Huli Huli chicken, stop. An excellent idea to bring to the beach.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
886 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Local Eats!

We've had that huli chicken several times - it's hard to drive by that smell after a day at the beach. Made chicken tacos one night - they were the best ever!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Local Eats!

Ha, so you finally had one (pastele) a Puerto Rican dish and very popular here. It's made is green bananas, pork (usually) and olives. My aunty makes them all the time and since I like mine xtra spicy, I'll put in a special order. I just took 3dz to the mainland for my brother. He's says the ones he tried in socal are junk.

So, pzp, are you ready to dance hula with the Makaha sons this summer? I heard you're performing solo. This is YOUR year!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,923 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Local Eats!

Eh, sistah, where ya bin? I can solo as long as it's not Ke Uluwehi o ke Kai. That huli ka`o is killing me.

All you visitors who are thinking "What the heck are they talking about?" should take in a hula show. I'm available for questions, too.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Local Eats!

I know what you mean - I tore my miniscus doing the huli our halau does at the beginning of the Ha'ina verse of Ka Uluwehi O Ke Kai. I had to stop dancing until I could get my knee surgically repaired. Didn't stop me totally though... So PZP, if you won't do a solo of it, how about all of us hula dancers perform that at the next TA gathering? If we serve lots of mai tais first, everyone will think we look pretty good! Who's all up for that?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,923 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Local Eats!

Sounds good to me. We'll do it when I'm in a position to host a gathering at my house; plenty of room on the deck. Frankly, I'd rather do Kaleohano or Hano Hano Olinda. Probably Aloha Kaua`i is more appropriate. Kealohanui knows all these, too, and she knows Ka Uluwehi really well. I bet she'd do it solo. We'll see what she says.

7. Re: Good Local Eats!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 09:39