We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Coast of Kauai

Missouri
5 posts
Save Topic
West Coast of Kauai

Has anyone stayed much on the west coast of Kauai? We are thinking of staying there on our next trip but are worried about being a little too secluded. The prices seem great and the pictures of the accommodations look great.

Has anyone attended the hula competition for the Mokihana festival in Kekaha? How great is it?

Seattle
Level Contributor
348 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West Coast of Kauai

I didn't stay on the West coast, but did visit there and it's beautiful. I guess it depends on what you want to do. Snorkeling didn't really seem to be an option on the west side (mainly sandy beaches with no reefs or lava tubes. If there are fish, they would be hard to see in the cloudy water.) But it is very close to Waimea and Napali coast if you want to hike. Secluded is a good description. Not much in the way of restaurants, but if you get a place with a kitchen and want to hang out there for meals, then it would be very nice.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West Coast of Kauai

All aspects of Mokihana festival competitions are interesting and so much fun. I have really enjoyed the hula events so much and I am always tickled to watch the keiki (little ones) so seriously and self-consciously demonstrating their skills and stage presence. Additionally, I, particularly, look forward to getting to a venue where there are ukelele and slack-key competitions. Young and old compete at all skill levels in all the competitions. What is so special about Mokihana is the very warm and all embracing sense I get for the spirit of Aloha. These local competitions speak to a lively sense of community and to genuine loving support for each participant. Because they are not glitzy or slick, it impacts one's heart in the nicest possible way. Island humor abounds in some venues when long-time, well-known community figures and radio commentators take charge of introductions and keep things moving right along. So, it is great!

I do not think of Kekaha as so much secluded as I do isolated. Isolated in the sense that it is not populated by the myriad of hotels and condos you find in Poipu, Lihue, Kapaa and Princeville. Just know that you are only short drives to those more populated resorts.

I note in your earlier post that you look forward to quiet after your 80's partying...Kekaha is quiet. You will always have a grand sunset to look forward to each evening and a wonderful long, long stretch of beach. I have never stayed on the West side, but sure have driven by and through many times on the way to Polihale.

Springfield, MO
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West Coast of Kauai

joepeg - My husband and I stayed at Waimea Plantation Cottages on the west side in May of this year. We couldn't have asked for more perfect accomodations. We had an oceanfront cottage with a perfect view from our lanai. The grounds of the plantation are beautiful, and the staff are some of the friendliest people we've met travelling. We had planned on eating out for most of our dinners, and just cooking breakfast and sometimes lunch at the cottage...however, no restaurant could beat the view we had from our lanai, and we ended up spending most evenings eating there. There is a wonderful market in Waimea called Ishihara's that has a wide variety of fresh meats and seafood, and most nights we used the grill provided at our cottage to fix our meals. (much easier on the pocketbook as well!)

The beach in front of the cottages is not swimmable, but is great for a sunset stroll. Salt Pond beach is nearby and good for swimming and you can snorkel there as well. However, our favorite snorkelling was at Tunnels beach on the north shore.

We are going back next May and have looked at accomodations on the north shore, so that we will be closer to parts of the island we didn't explore much last trip, but have ultimately decided we would rather stay at Waimea Plantation, and spend more time driving than stay on the north shore.

What part of Missouri are you from???