We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping question for you locals/frequent visitors . . .

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,909 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
shopping question for you locals/frequent visitors . . .

aloha! Last time I was in Kauai, I bought a beautiful print of the Napali coast . . . and while it was matted, it wasn't framed - and I decided I wanted a real Hawaiian frame, like those made of koa wood or something similar. I have a friend currently on Kauai who will pick this up for me - any suggestions on where she could easily pick up a frame? They are staying in Princeville, but will be all over the island. Mahalo! coalminer :)

California
Level Contributor
36,095 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping question for you locals/frequent visitors . . .

Hi Coalminer,

Tell her to go into Hanalei and try the cute shop next to the music store and below Sushi Blues (Brouchens). In that center there are 2 or 3 stores selling picture frames. Another is across from the jewelery store. Also the antique shop behind BarAcuda had frames. Sand People had frames but not the wood kind. They were seashells. I bought one.

In Coconut Marketplace there are a ton of shops and then of course the Koa Store in Lihue. ($$$) Oh yes another thought. Banana Patch in Kileaua. They have gorgeous frames.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping question for you locals/frequent visitors . . .

Coalminer, if your friend is staying in Poipu there is a shop in Old Koloa town called Christian Riso Fine Art & Framing. Very nice things in there. Or there are places in Hanapepe. There is also a Kauai Product store at the Kukui Grove mall that I believe has all that type of stuff.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,909 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping question for you locals/frequent visitors . . .

Thanks, Jebett! Sounds perfect - I just thought it would help to narrow the field a bit. Enjoy your day! :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,909 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shopping question for you locals/frequent visitors . . .

Kauaigerl - it is my same friend you met last year. Thanks for the info! :)

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: shopping question for you locals/frequent visitors . . .

<<Kauaigerl - it is my same friend you met last year. Thanks for the info! :)

>>

Wow what a lucky lady - she must love to watch those whales now! :) Where did they decide to stay?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,909 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shopping question for you locals/frequent visitors . . .

They are staying in a condo in Princeville - but just the husband and wife - kids and the rest of the family stayed home. She did it as a birthday present for her husband! :)

calgary
Level Contributor
74 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shopping question for you locals/frequent visitors . . .

Try also the Koa Store in Lihue

http://shop.thekoastore.com/

The Koa Store | 3-3601 Kuhio Hwy Lihue, Kauai, Hawaii 96766 | 808-245-4859 | | (fax) 808-245-7917 | Shop@TheKoaStore.com

They have some nice Koa stuff and I saw some smaller frames - but they may have bigger ones - check the web site also.

There is also a nice Koa woodworker in Hanapepe (he had a gorgeous table and chairs and lovely rocking chairs). I believe it is a cooperative - they may also do frames. I think this is there contact info?

KAMAAINA CABINETS / KOA WOOD GALLERY

3848 Hanapepe Road

Hanapepe, HI 96716

(West Side)

Tel. (808) 335-5483

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,909 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shopping question for you locals/frequent visitors . . .

oh, pintobat - that looks great! I'll have to find that shop the next time I am on Kauai. mahalo! :)

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: shopping question for you locals/frequent visitors . . .

There is another store in the Anchor Cove Shopping Center called Seven Seas Trading Company, I forgot about that place - really neat things!

http://www.sevenseastradingcompany.com

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: shopping question for you locals/frequent visitors . . .

Last time I went through Anchor Cove, about a month ago, the Seven Seas Trading Company was no longer... I might be wrong, but it looked like it was pau.

When I want something custom framed, I go to the frame shop on Akahi Street, across from the Tip Top Cafe. They do great work. And are quick. 808-245-3810.

But if you have a standard size art print, you can use a ready made Koa Frame from Walmart, Kmart or if you need a slightly larger one that what they might carry, Pictures Plus at Kukui Grove might have your size in stock. 808-245-7111.

Koa wood frames are expensive, but so beautiful. Mango wood is also nice, but not as rich looking as Koa, in my opinion.