We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Economy and Hawaiian vacations

Economy and Hawaiian vacations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 January 2009, 18:58
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Economy and Hawaiian vacations

My husband is an unemplyed Wall Streeter (operations). It has been very bad in his industry with no hope in sight. He is actually considering a complete career change, for the first time in 25 years, but is completely at a loss as where to start.

If we hadn't booked and paid for everything a year ago when we planned our upcoming Hawaii trip and not been able to get our $$ back, I am sure we would have cancelled. We travel frequently, but it sadly looks like all our future plans after our February Maui/Kauai trip will be on hold.

In the meantime, we've been cooking more meals at home and eating out less, less shopping at the mall, and even recycling our aluminum in anticipation of our vacation.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Economy and Hawaiian vacations

This recession will affect everyone as these things always have a trickle down effect.

We seriously considered cancelling but we had booked airfare last June when our dollar was still reasonably good. We also opened a U. S. account at that time which has helped a lot. We wish we had put more into it now.

My husband plans to retire when we get back from Kauai so it might possibly be our last trip to the islands for a few years. I really hope not.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Economy and Hawaiian vacations

I hope not too... We all have to hang in there...

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Economy and Hawaiian vacations

Time for a reality check.....we are on the verge of depression....

I cant fathom any person who does not have deep pockets even thinking about travel other than to the store, doctor and work.

Lifestyle needs to refelect reality...we all cant do what we used to... unless we want to face financial ruin.

Hawaii will always be here...well in the next thousand years for sure....

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Ohio
Level Contributor
152 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Economy and Hawaiian vacations

We went to Kauai and Maui last July. I'm glad I didn't know anything about the economy at that time because we wouldn't have gone. We're going to San Francisco in April and probably wouldn't be doing that either but bought the airfare last August. So, we're going, but it makes me a bit nervous. If we go anywhere in 2010 and things haven't turned around, we'll go somewhere we can drive.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
California
Level Contributor
39,502 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Economy and Hawaiian vacations

<<I cant fathom any person who does not have deep pockets even thinking about travel other than to the store, doctor and work.>>

Gee what a surprise to see this post.

Yes we all need to watch it. I do not have "deep pockets" (2 kids in college after all) but travel is my passion. I can skip Starbucks, not buy a new outfit, eat out at 2 for 1 restaurants, and keep my 9 year old car for another 3 years, but I can't live without my travel. I will leave on a Tuesday instead of a Saturday, I will look for discounts, I will eat in more and I will live my life.

True, it's a wake up call. My taxes are increasing (and so will yours folks), my 401 is shrinking and my house has depreciated 30%, but I can still dream of my travels this coming year.

Hawaiidan can stay home and mope!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,995 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Economy and Hawaiian vacations

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I certainly can't afford to travel at this point - but then again, I am fortunate enough to live here and try never to take the beauty around me for granted.

Sure, sometimes it would be fun to take a vacation -

we all have stressors in our lives no matter where we live (even Kaua'i!), but appreciating the wonders all around me and taking advantage of them is certainly helpful.

I very recently suffered a death in my immediate family and just sitting by the ocean at Salt Pond or Kukui'ula Harbor (and taking a dip if it is warm enough) is one of the most helpful things I have done for myself this week - the ocean is one of the most calming places for me.

I have found in this week particularly Kaua'i to be a very "healing place" as so many others have said before me.

I hope that each of you who are not able to visit as you would like have a "special place" that you can enjoy where you live - there are gems everywhere - you just have to look for them sometimes.

Sorry - don't mean to get all "zen" on anyone! I hope our economy recovers and our tourists start coming back to enjoy the wonders of this island!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Economy and Hawaiian vacations

jebett, AMEN!! Yes, of course we're in the midst of one of the worst economic situations of our lifetimes. We can choose to stop living, or we can do what is most sensible - make choices in our lives that reflect our personal priorities and, as jebett says, "passions". Indeed for many of us, travel is our passion. I'll gladly bypass on that $300 pair of shoes just to look nice. I'll continue to drive my 5 year-old car for perhaps another 3-5 years. Whatever I choose, however, is a personal decision on my part. If I can afford to spend the money I earn, I will. I will make the necessary sacrifices and live within my means. To simplistically claim that nobody should be travelling because we are on the verge of a depression is a bit far fetched.

9. Re: Economy and Hawaiian vacations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 January 2009, 04:03
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Economy and Hawaiian vacations

While some of you may find HawaiiDan an eeyore, taking pot shots at him is juvenile. No one is throwing rocks at the "always look on the bright siders" that gloss over reality to sell "paradise".

People do need to realize that the hunker down mentality is what makes recessions last longer and go deeper. Every dollar not spent is a dollar out of someone else's income. Obviously spending money you don't have is bad news and part of our overall problem. the USA has been living far beyond it's means for the last decade.