We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Golf

Coming back over in March. I have played Princeville and Poipu Bay. Will be with a golfer not as good as myself and we are looking to play twice. Any recommendations on where to play and tell me why. Thanks

California
Level Contributor
38,381 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf

Hi bogieman,

FYI:

Makai course in Princeville is closed for renovations. Just thought you'd want to know because their ocean course would have been perfect. I remember you played Princeville which is tough.

Here's a website. I might think about Kauai Lagoons. It is such a beautiful course. M DH played it years ago so get other's advice. He lousy at golf.

Wailua Bay is an inexpensive course and OK.

www.summitpacificinc.com/kauai-golf.html

Welcome back!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf

Is the Wailua course only okay? My husband wants to golf a couple times while we are there. He's a pretty good golfer and has golfed some beautiful courses here in Canada. Will he be disappointed with that course?

seattle
Level Contributor
52 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf

Tee times hawaii has a special for Kiahuna GC, play 2 rounds for $80 a round. Not a bad price, and can be played on different days.

San Jose
Level Contributor
85 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf

I am heading to Kauai in February with my son. We are going to play Kiahuna Golf course. I have been told it is very well kept and also wide open (hence a little easier). I just booked my tee times directly thru the course and I paid $99 for the first round and $48 for the second round. My son's golf coach told us that the course is great. Have fun.

California
Level Contributor
38,381 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golf

The Wailua course is a municipal course. I think it is very nice and you can't beat the price. I think the biggest issue by DH had with it was the equipment he had to rent. It wasn't as good as other courses. It has some nice views. My son is the golfer. I called him and he said it was "OK". He prefers tougher courses. I am sure others have a more favorable opinion of Wailua.

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golf

We have golfed at Princeville, Makai, Wailua, Puakea and Kukuiolono.

We really enjoy Wailua Muni but they only take tee times 7 days out so it can be tought to get on but for the price it's worth being flexible. Cash only too. It is a nice course.

Puakea is nice also and their prices are decent. It is located in Lihue. Great mountain views and a few peaks at the ocean.

Kukuiolono is a 9 hole course in Kalaheo that is really cheap and has some awesome views as it sits up on a bluff/hill.

We hope to try a new course this time but we will most likely go back to our favorites too.

Philly
Level Contributor
290 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golf

Although there are not nearly as many course on Kauai as there are on Oahu, Big Island, or Maui, there are some very good options, both upscale and midrange.

For those who haven't been there, Princeville and Poipu Bay are both top notch. To the OP, I would check out both courses at Kauai Lagoons (Kiele and Mokihana). The regular rate here is $175 I believe, but there a ton of discounts for this place. You can definitely get on at either course for well under $100 including a cart. Last I checked, you can get on for $60-90 depending on the time. This would definitely be my pick if you wanted to go some place other than Poipu or Princeville.

Other than that, Puakea is decent track that offers some big discounts.

Although I have not played there, I heard that Kiahuna is a decent track. Wailua is also suppoed to be pretty good.

I think that covers pretty much all the major courses on the island. Hope this helps!!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,945 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golf

We really like Kiahuna Golf Course in Poipu. We have golfed there many, many times. We also took the kids to Wailua Muni Golf course. It was perfect for the kids; inexpensive and very informal (hubby wore a t-shirt and flip flops). I guess you get what you pay for? You'll spend very little at Kukuiolono's 9 hole course but the greens are not kept up. Wailua is also a great bargain and the location is great but again, not a top notch course and club rentals are not in great shape. Kiahuna is a little more expensive and the course is kept up very well but the location and views are not as nice as The Prince or Poipu Bay. Kiahuna has a nice restaurant right on the course (Joe's on the Green).

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Golf

If your fellow golfer is a high handicapper, I would recommend Kiahuna as some of the others have. It really is wide open and very forgiving and you don't have to be able to hit the ball a mile. It is in much better shape than it used to be a few years back. The other course I'd recommend is Puakea, the newer one in Lihue. It is very well taken care of, not too long off the tee, but will offer some challenges in terms of shot-making. We used to always play Wailua because it was cheap and is right next to the ocean with beautiful views. But the county has raised prices for tourists and they just don't take care of the place that well. As martik said, it is pretty casual there, but I don't always find that to be a positive. The last couple of times we played there we got behind novices and ended up with 5 hour plus rounds. They don't enforce pace of play there very well.

If cost is not an issue, do consider going back to Poipu Bay -- what a gorgeous course that is. And if you play from one of the more forward tee boxes, it is not bad for the higher handicapper. Not so at the Prince course -- there are no tee boxes there that will save the duffer.

seattle
Level Contributor
52 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Golf

Agree with the prior post, played the muni last year and my only problem was that it took nearly 6hrs. And while yeah the view is great, but waiting 15 min on the tee box, for 18 holes got a little old. If you go there, u will get way you pay for a nice muni track for a good value, but do not expect all the bells n whistles of a "finer" course.