We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Princeville or Koloa?

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Princeville or Koloa?

My husband and I are planning a trip to Kauai the first week in March and are debating between the Sharaton in Koloa near Poipu Beach or the Westin in Princeville. The Westin seems like a nicer place to stay, but the weather and beaches may be better at the Sheraton. Is the weather really that different? Any thoughts? Your feedback is much appreciated!

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Princeville or Koloa?

In March I would recommend staying in Poipu. The Sheraton is a nice hotel on a beautiful beach. Though Princeville and the entire north shore are beautiful, I don't believe the Westin is oceanfront. March still might be a bit rainy on the North Shore too. I would definitely visit the North Shore though.

California
Level Contributor
36,490 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Princeville or Koloa?

As much as I love Princeville, if those were my only 2 choices, I would go with the Sheraton in Poipu. The Westin might be loaded with kids (spring break for some schools starts early March), the beach access is lousy and the weather could be iffy. Read the recent reviews on the Sheraton though. Not very good especially if you rent a garden view room.

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Princeville or Koloa?

Thank you so much for the helpful advice!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Princeville or Koloa?

I think the Sheraton is a great place. Not sure how the reviews could be bad? Those who complain about the Sheraton tend to be in the Garden Wing buildings. Those buildings are older and withstood the hurricane. They're a good price though and most people will realize they're only getting what they paid for. But there are always those who expect more than what they paid for and will complain.

So I can wholeheartedly recommend the Sheraton if you get a room in the Beach Wing or Ocean Wing. My preference would be the Ocean Wing as it's oceanfront and away from the pool area. The beach there is wonderful and can't be beat for swimming, boogie boarding, and snorkeling further on down.

California
Level Contributor
36,490 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Princeville or Koloa?

<<I think the Sheraton is a great place. Not sure how the reviews could be bad? Those who complain about the Sheraton tend to be in the Garden Wing buildings. Those buildings are older and withstood the hurricane. They're a good price though and most people will realize they're only getting what they paid for.>>

I looked up some off season rates in the Garden Wing rooms and I think $269-400 a night is pretty darn expensive in my book for what you get at the hotel. Over $400 for ocean wing. If I paid $300/nt I would expect more than a Motel 6 as some have described it. I do see where websites like hotels.com etc are offering lower rates and I bet I know where they'll put you. Maybe the Starwood Company needs to take a little off the redo of the St Regis and put it in the Sheraton. This lovely spot deserves better.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Princeville or Koloa?

If you want a tropical experience, the Westin.

If want to make sure you have good weather, the Sheraton is your best chance.

Princeville is where "The Garden Island" comes from. The north shore is the true Kauai for me.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
296 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Princeville or Koloa?

If you stay on the North Shore you may want to consider Hanalei Bay Resort or Sealodge. HBR has a great walk to a beach with views of Bali Hai from most condos while Sealodge has dramatic cliff views of Anini and the Kilauea Lighthouse! Both are in he Princeville area and both have beach access. As mentioned by Jebett, there are many children at the Westin while HBR and Sealodge are more just honeymooners and such!

8. Re: Princeville or Koloa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 13:21