We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Break out the Long Underwear

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Topic
Break out the Long Underwear

Just a warning to those who are headed this way---bring a jacket!

Okay...maybe not. But it's been cold the last few days on all the islands. Lihue was the coldest:

honoluluadvertiser.com/article/…90128037

California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Break out the Long Underwear

"The average low for January is 65 degrees, according to National Weather Service records."

Seems it's just a few degrees cooler than the average. I did think the evenings were cooler than last year at the same time, but not as much rain. Good advice to bring a jacket anyway as it can get cold inside restaurants that are air conditioned.

I'm sure our friend's in Michigan, Ohio or St Louis would take low 60's any day.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,254 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Break out the Long Underwear

Amen to that - I'll take low 60's any day. Woke up to -25 this morning. :)

rhode island
Level Contributor
808 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Break out the Long Underwear

Absolutely. I'm here in Rhode Island and the temp is 20 degrees which is a heat wave here compared to last week. I'll take 65 degrees in a pinky speedy second!

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Break out the Long Underwear

<<I'm sure our friend's in Michigan, Ohio or St Louis would take low 60's any day.>>

Michigan? Did someone say Michigan?? Well we know how to keep warm here LOL -- STAY INSIDE under a blanket! Please pass the Mai Tai! :)

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Break out the Long Underwear

Kauaigerl wrote:

>>Michigan? Did someone say Michigan?? Well we know how to keep warm here LOL -- STAY INSIDE under a blanket! Please pass the Mai Tai! :)<<

That's what we do here, too, only we pick lemons for our mai tai's before we head under the covers!

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Break out the Long Underwear

<<That's what we do here, too, only we pick lemons for our mai tai's before we head under the covers!>>

Wow that's great to pick your own lemons - we just open our slider and grab ice! :) OH and we can make our own shave ice without using a machine! :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Break out the Long Underwear

I was looking at a website on Maui today and noticed the temperature there. I thought it must be wrong. I guess not. However, you still have it warm in comparison to us. We are - 3 tonight which is actually warm for us. :o) That's 26 in the USA.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,923 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Break out the Long Underwear

I was **freeeeezing** last night and this morning. Couldn't get my hands warm. Took a while to get my nails to show a normal Pink.

California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Break out the Long Underwear

pzp:

Wahhhhh

Wahhhhh

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Break out the Long Underwear

<<<I was **freeeeezing** last night and this morning. Couldn't get my hands warm. Took a while to get my nails to show a normal Pink.>>

OK true story - my friend lives in Kalehao and every year for Christmas she expects the same gift! She LOVES those socks with the toes in them so she can wear them with her slippahs (she said you can't find them there so I stock her up on them). The first pair I ever sent her she thought they were long gloves -- She said she sleeps in those - LOL