We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding for 2 - Package Deal or "Ala Carte" ?

Arizona
Level Contributor
130 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding for 2 - Package Deal or "Ala Carte" ?

We are headed to Kauai in November to get married, it will jsut be the two of us, ver simple.

We want some nice pictures of course, and I am wondering if most of you went with the package deal (am thinking of Kauai Island Weddings), who seem to have a great deal.

But then, maybe arranging my own photographer and officiant is the way to go, I certainly want the most bang for my buck, and it really would not be a problem to provide our own leis and bridal bouquet. What did most or you do ?

California
Level Contributor
37,009 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding for 2 - Package Deal or "Ala Carte" ?

Private message hula4me. She'll have great ideas and can help you.

I also like Diana Gardner. She can do small weddings or large.

http://www.alohanaweddings.com/

I have some names of good photographers and you can PM me if you decide to go the ala carte route.

Getting leis is easy. You can even get them at the grocery stores.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding for 2 - Package Deal or "Ala Carte" ?

If you are on a budget or want to be involved with planning your own wedding, the most economical way would be to hire your own officiant and photographer separately, then get any flowers on your own. Your wedding officiant can direct you to the nearest marriage license agent. By hiring each vendor separately, you get what you want.

You can choose the type of wedding officiant who will fit your spiritual views and can help you design a ceremony that reflects your feelings and intentions. You want to be able to feel the ceremony suits you.

Also, you can choose a wedding photographer who has the style you are looking for and is in your price range. Many have websites show a gallery of their work and you can judge their talent for yourself - and compare their price lists.

Your wedding officiant and/or photographer can help you choose a ceremony location near your lodging or where you'll be celebrating afterwards. If it's a beach location, your officiant can obtain the necessary beach permit easily. A misconception is that only a planner can obtain the permits.

Picking out your own flowers, leis and/or bridal bouquet can be part of the experience. There are several fine flower shops on Kauai. If you are on a time crunch by getting married soon after you arrive, many of them have online catalogs to help you order what you're looking for before you even arrive. Then they can deliver the flowers to your hotel - or you can just go in and pick them up.

Usually a very simple ceremony such as an elopement doesn't require a planner and package, but having a wedding planner may take the stress off you on wedding day, especially if they can offer you a rainy day back up plan. (November can be rainy)

If you'd rather take more of a hands on approach and participate in the planning of your own wedding, then definitely go "ala carte" as you mentioned. You are then responsible for the details.

You've got plenty of time. I've seen weddings that had 4 hours planning go just as well as those planned for a year or more.

Have fun planning your Kauai wedding and honeymoon. I'll PM you with some resources in case you are wanting to look into some "do it yourself" planning.

Arizona
Level Contributor
130 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding for 2 - Package Deal or "Ala Carte" ?

I don't mean to sound dense, am new to the forums, but how do you "PM" someone ?

Lombard, IL
Level Contributor
790 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding for 2 - Package Deal or "Ala Carte" ?

PM is private message. If you click on someone's name you'll come to their info page and find the option to send a private message.

5. Re: Wedding for 2 - Package Deal or "Ala Carte" ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 18:16