We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai, Should I fit it in?

Chicago
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai, Should I fit it in?

Well, I just put a topic about weather up for Kauai, and boyfriend was told that he had to move and shorten his trip! So frustrating!! So we were supposed to go THIS Friday, now we have to move everything to next Wednesday. Thank goodness they're paying for the changes!!

Anwyays, I only have 7 days in Hawaii instead of 9. We have to go to Maui b/c we're meeting friends there, should we stay in Maui, or should I break up my vacation with 3.5 days in Maui and 2.5 days in Kauai? I feel like it's too much traveling, let me know what you guys think? I REALLY want to go to Kauai, but mostly I just need to relax from all this stress in my life, so I dont' really want to hustle to catch a flight. Plus is it even enough time in these islands? Let me know what you guys think!!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,084 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai, Should I fit it in?

Stay on Maui. You'll lose almost a full day in traveling to Kaua`i, and there's no way to really experience the island in just 1.5 days.

Plan to come to Kaua`i on your next trip.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai, Should I fit it in?

wasting one day of 7 moving islands is more than I would want to sacrifice.

mnr
Kansas City, MO.
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai, Should I fit it in?

I agree too, stay on Maui. Kauai is known as the "Garden Isle". It is also the western-most island to travel to and stay. You would need at least 5 days to make it worth your while.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,653 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai, Should I fit it in?

yeah, enjoy Maui, in February the weather will likely be better than Kaua'i. Either one is worth a ten day trip. You can find plenty of beauty in Maui, sounds like you haven't been before.

Just be happy you have a week in Maui.

A partial stay in each will stress you out and outweigh the pleasure you'll get from "seeing" a brief glimpse of Kaua'i.

Spend some time around Haiku and Hana to get the away from it all fix.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai, Should I fit it in?

Agree....

Your commitment to be on maui to meet freinds, really calls for you to spend your shortened time there.

Hasseling with changing islands, and tossing a couple of extra days of travel, airports, security, aquiring rental cars, checking in and out of accomodations......whew !

just have a wonderful and fun visit to maui, and return to kauai another time when you can relax and just enjoy.

Denny

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai, Should I fit it in?

Ditto everyone else. Stay put on one island.

Chicago
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai, Should I fit it in?

Actually it's more like 4.5 days in Maui and 2.5 days in Kauai. Still a no go?? I hate corporate America :(.

Chicago
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai, Should I fit it in?

OH, and I would fly into Maui and leave out Kauai. Just need one interisland flight in between.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,802 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai, Should I fit it in?

yep.. I agree. One island only.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,260 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kauai, Should I fit it in?

With the hassle of the airports, security, packing, changing accomodations, etc. I would stay put. It would take an entire day to make the switch and you would waste that time when you could be sitting on the beach. Plan another trip to Kauai and stay at least one full week. Have fun on Maui.