We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February 2009 Weather

Los Angeles
3 posts
Save Topic
February 2009 Weather

Aloha!

My boyfriend and I are going to Kauai from Feb. 15-23, and are staying in a rental cottage on the North Shore. I was wondering if anyone can tell us a little bit about Kauai's weather in February (in general), as well as what the weather has been like so far this winter.

We love to snorkel, swim, kayak, hike and enjoy the outdoors.

We went to Maui in Dec. 2007 and were there for the biggest storm to hit the island in 20+ years...it poured during our entire week-long trip and we never made it into the water...the condo we were staying in flooded and our car had to be towed out of the mud. Awful!

Any way, we're hoping for a much better trip to Kauai!

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: February 2009 Weather

I'm sure you'll get lots of advice here, Sasha!

First off, North Shore is not great for swimming etc in the winter.

The good news is, if you drive to the other side of the island it should be ok.

Your Maui trip sounds terrible!

May you have a better Kauai trip!

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: February 2009 Weather

Uhmm, isn't that something you research before you book? :-)

This web site has historic weather data:

www.hawaiigaga.com/WeatherGuide.aspx#kauai

The north shore's weather will be a coin toss. For snorkeling you'll probably want to go to the south shore. River kayaking and hiking will likely be possible for some part of your trip, trails take a couple days to dry after heavy rain. Swimming will depend on rain, but you should have a few good beach days. Hanalei bay can have good swimming even when the surf is big.

It will likely be partly cloudy most of the time, intermittent raining, really nice and warm when the sun comes out, chilly at night.

Have fun and try not to worry too much about the weather. Lots to explore!

California
Level Contributor
37,459 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: February 2009 Weather

Ocean conditions on the North Shore will be rough most likely. For kayaking I suggest Hanalei River or Wailua River. Snorkeling will be best on the South Shore. You might be able to enjoy the calm reef at Anini on the North Shore. Check the ocean conditions daily for Hanalei Bay. Do not visit Queen's Bath and be cautious on any muddy trails while hiking. If it's says flash floods coming, do not go hiking.

Feb is usually rainy (it is middle of winter) but it could be for an hour, an entire day or 5 minutes. A few days ago on the NS it was raining all day and then the sun popped out.

If it's rainy either wait a few minutes or drive south.

Los Angeles
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: February 2009 Weather

Thanks for the info!

Of course we researched the weather--we were told it's not the rainiest month of the year but the weather is unpredictable. I just thought I'd ask what the latest is, rather than simply reading weather.com. :-)

And we're pretty limited as to when we can take vacation: it was either Feb. or wait another year. Considering the bad economy, we're happy to be employed and lucky that we get to take a vacation at all. We're just hoping for a good trip after what we went through on Maui.

California
Level Contributor
37,459 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: February 2009 Weather

Good for you and have a great time. I will hope for sunny skies with morning rainbows.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: February 2009 Weather

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Our weather has been pretty typical for winter weather here on the South Shore - while right now it is blue skies and lovely out - it has been fairly overcast and rainy (that is passing showers throughout the day) on and off - there are folks laying out by the pool at our condo right now - so obviously it is good beach weather this afternoon!

I know you said you were staying on the North Shore however - and I believe it has been pretty much similar type of weather there, at least from what I hear from a friend that lives in Hanalei.

On the cool side as well - particularly at night, when it can get downright cold - socks, sweatpants and long sleeved shirts to bed! Light jackets or long sleeves during the day and long cotton pants for me.

It hasn't been particularly bad - just normal winter weather - no big flooding or week-long rain spells.

I haven't heard a long-term forecast for February - but nothing that I've heard on the local news would indicate anything big coming our way anytime soon.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: February 2009 Weather

Most weather web sites will give you average rainfall.

Here is one that gives you actual (and average) day-by-day rainfall for each day of January this year, at the Lihue Airport:

wunderground.com/history/…MonthlyHistory.html

You can also set it for last February's day-by-day history:

wunderground.com/history/…MonthlyHistory.html

I think it's a tossup as to whether last Feb's rainfall or this Jan's rainfall will be more like what you experience.

Notice that in Jan they had four days when the rainfall was more than a tenth of an inch. Last Feb they had five. (Or was it the other way around - I forget ;-)

Hank

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,059 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: February 2009 Weather

Ignore weather.com. Believing them is a common mistake among visitors. Try this site:

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/kauai.php

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: February 2009 Weather

Cant believe your trip to Maui!! Im sure Kauai will be good on one side of the island or the other! We have been to Hawaii many times during the winter cause I love the Humpback whales. Never had a weather problem//We cant go until April. Have a great time. I love the north shore of Kauai!! It is just magnificent

San Jose
Level Contributor
85 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: February 2009 Weather

I'm also travelling to Kauai during that time frame and I always have good luck with weather, so you have that going for you.