We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Princeville to Koke'e state park....2.5 hr drive?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Princeville to Koke'e state park....2.5 hr drive?

Is this right? There's no road that goes directly and I have to go around the entire Island according to google maps?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Princeville to Koke'e state park....2.5 hr drive?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

You cannot drive around the island of Kaua'i - the Na Pali coastline starts at Ke'e Beach on the North Shore - which is where the road ends.

You must drive from the North Shore all the way to the West Side - and then up to the Canyon - which is a narrow, winding road that is slow going for the most part.

I'd say that 2 1/2 hours is actually short of what it is going to take you to drive all the way up to the "Pu'u 'O Kila" lookout - which has the view down to Kalalau Valley and beach. There are numerous lookout points to Waimea Canyon on the way up as well.

Probably more like 3 hours (and maybe a little more depending on how many lookouts you stop at).

Malama Pono,

Janet

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Princeville to Koke'e state park....2.5 hr drive?

awww. thanks for the confirmation. I should have looked this up before, lol!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Princeville to Koke'e state park....2.5 hr drive?

Yep,

Reaeaching your destination and learning about the island of kauai would have been great..

However, you will be staying in one of the most beautiful places on the planet, the North Shore of Kauai.

So, you have to make a drive....no biggie.

the drive itself is not like traveling in New York City....you will have a great time cruising thru tropical forests, along rolling green hills, witnessing stretches of ocean and coastal views, and then heading up Wiamea Canyon Road, and enjoying the different micro climates and changes of veiws and scenery up to the kalalau lookout.

Should not a a tedius drive if you love the beauty of what nature will provide.

For those that have the Ultimate Kauai Guide Book, you can pretty much by-pass the two small towns of Kapa'a, and Lihue by checking out the by-pass roads, or alternate routes.

Unless of course, you have a love affair with strip malls and towns. Then you can cruise thru checking out what a Kauai Town is all about. Still that will be a short drive, as they are small.

And , you will probably only make that trip once. Not like a daily commute.

We, as visitors , tossed the watches into the dresser drawer at the condo, not involving time in our lives, and just enjoyed the special gifts that Kauai Island shared with us.

You are gonna love it.

Denny

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Princeville to Koke'e state park....2.5 hr drive?

Just combine your trip to Kokee with other spots you want to see on the south and west shores. A popular combination is a visit to Polihale Beach along with Kokee. Don't forget the art shops in Hanapepe on your way there. Or, other stops along the way in the Lihue area or Poipu. Get going super early and make a full day out of it. Have dinner at Waimea Brewing Company on your way back. It's not like you need to drive straight through, nonstop.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Princeville to Koke'e state park....2.5 hr drive?

According to Google, it's 2 hours and 9 minutes (depending on traffic). Everyone has given you great advice. We usually spend extra time over on the west side when we go to Waimea Canyon like lunch at the brew pub or drive over to Polihale State Beach. Take a look at google maps and you'll see the route takes you through Kapaa, Lihue, close to Poipu, Hanapepe, etc.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Princeville to Koke'e state park....2.5 hr drive?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Man, I'd like to know what rocketcar "Google" travels on to make that time estimate! LOL.

I know I'm not the speediest person around, but unless you have zero traffic and have pedal to the metal all the way up - I don't know how you can do that time! It takes me an hour and a half or close to it to drive to Princeville from here in the Po'ipu area - on the South Shore. And it is easily a 45 minute drive to Waimea from here - not counting the drive up to the Canyon.

I'm in full agreement that you can easily combine a day on the West/South shore - while Polihale State Park is incredible - you should check to make sure the road is open - it has been closed for awhile for repairs. Waimea town itself is a very historic spot and worthy of your time - Hanapepe is full of fun places to visit as well (including the "swinging bridge) and as noted you can easily take in some time here on the South Shore as well.

I'd make it an early start - the best views of the Canyon are generally before 10am, just a general time when clouds tend to start appearing - obviously depending on conditions!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Princeville to Koke'e state park....2.5 hr drive?

Janet,

Google's time estimate was extremely low. Funny, my hubby stayed in Princeville one year and it took him over 2 hours to get to Port Allen, with no traffic.

Marti

Indiana
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Princeville to Koke'e state park....2.5 hr drive?

Polihale be closed for the forseeable future.

9. Re: Princeville to Koke'e state park....2.5 hr drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 17:19