We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

E Kanikapila Kakou Schedule - March 2009

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
E Kanikapila Kakou Schedule - March 2009

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I don't know how many folks know about this wonderful program here every Monday nite called

"E Kanikapila Kakou" - which is an informal backyard Hawaiian music jam, that shares Aloha among Kaua`i residents and visitors by experiencing Hawaii's outstanding composers, musicians and kumu hula sharing their Hawaiian songs and chants.

It has been going on for years now and has a very loyal following of residents and visitors - I highly recommend it to anyone interested in Hawaiian music (and not just because Leilani is doing it in March!).

If you enjoy real "Kanikapila" style music and enjoy singing or strumming along with some of Hawai'i's best entertainers - this wonderful program is available every Monday nite at Island School in Puhi from 6 to 9pm (behind Kilohana). Admission is donation only - whatever you like to give. Chairs are pretty much pau by 6:30!

Here is the schedule for March:

March 9: Leilani Rivera Bond and Darryl Low, they will share new CD compositions, some dancers from their halau, and Leilani's extraordinary voice. (darryl.leilani@hawaiiantel.net)

March 16: Leokane Pryor and Friends, Maui falsetto singer with new CD compositions and zesty fun personality is new to EKK. (aloha@leokane.com)

March 23: Lopaka Bukoski, Kauai kumu hula, along with Kelly Love and Naniwai'ui Kanahele of Ni'ihau, new to EKK and unique presentation. (paka16@hotmail.com)

March 30: "Jumping Flea" Virtuosos will each share their own unique ukulele stylings - Gordon Mark, classical ukulele; David Kamakahi, contemporary and traditional Hawaiian music; (one more ukulele artist to be confirmed)

All sessions held at Island School main hall, 3-1875 Kaumualii Highway, Lihue 96766

• Time: 6 to 9 p. m.

Guaranteed good fun - and no "suggested donation" - just whatever you would like to give.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
735 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: E Kanikapila Kakou Schedule - March 2009

Mahalo, Janet.

I hope you keep posting this. We plan to be in Princeville in May for a few days, and I'd like to fit this in.

Hank

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: E Kanikapila Kakou Schedule - March 2009

janet,

Kanikapila is great.....

have a question for you....last time that we went..last year....several nights, the kanikapila was Behind KCC...on the road that leads into and to the left of the community college.

help us out on this, as we would like to go on March 9th for sure.

We know some of the residents that bring their ukes, and guitars, and practice away and then join in with the professionals.

It is a hoot, lots of aloha, lots of hugs, lots of smiles and lots of music, and sometimes great times with the entertainer talking story.

For those who have not been...get there by about 6 pm, as the chairs will start to fill up pretty quick.

This will not be a resort style program, it is local fun, and friendship, with much of the audience joining in.

Denny

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: E Kanikapila Kakou Schedule - March 2009

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yep, it is held at Island School - which is actually kind of behind KCC - you can take the road into Kilohana to get there as it now runs right to Island School.

And yes, bring your ukes and your singing voices (if you like) -- it actually means "let's make music!"

Good fun and doesn't seem to be something that a lot of visitors know about - but everyone is invited and has good fun!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: E Kanikapila Kakou Schedule - March 2009

Hank..: "E Kanikapila Kakou" program tends to end in April. Below is link:

http://gardenislandarts.org/ekk_2009.html

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: E Kanikapila Kakou Schedule - March 2009

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Jump "bumping" this up as it is now the end of February and some folks might be heading towards our island in March!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Earth
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: E Kanikapila Kakou Schedule - March 2009

Aloha, Janet -

I was going through Tripadvisor.com and saw your many posts about Kaua'i and ukulele playing, particularly the E Kanikapila Kakou at Island School. I'm a uke player and I'll be returning to Kaua'i in August, and I'm looking for places that I can play. You seem like you know what's up, so I thought I'd ask if you know of any places that I can call to book myself ... restaurants or whatever. Or just places to jam for fun, like the Island School kanikapila. Hope you don't mind my asking.

Also, do you know if the Island School group has a website or posts any video? I'd love to find out more, and play with them in August.

By the way, you can see my videos, CDs and all of that at my website, Bartt.net.

Mahalo!

Bartt

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: E Kanikapila Kakou Schedule - March 2009

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'm afraid I can't tell you who to contact to book yourself at any of the sites around here that have live music - we are an island full of musicians and everyone is always looking for a gig I'm afraid!

E Kanikapila Kakou is pau by now and while you certainly could call Island School and find out about who is a contact person for them, I don't think it would pan out to be anything for you.

You might try one of the Senior Centers on island - they have plenty kupuna who play ukulele and have certain nights where they get together to do this - as long as you're not age sensitive, this would be maybe something to see about - talking story with the kupuna and doing kanikapila would really be a great experience if you can do it.

Your best bet is simply to bring your ukulele with you to places such as Tahiti Nui up in Hanalei on a night where they have live music and if you are lucky you might get a chance to join in.

By all means bring your uke and hopefully you'll have a chance to play it - whether it is just sitting by a beach and strumming or at a lounge or other spot.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: E Kanikapila Kakou Schedule - March 2009

Definitly take it. We meet a hubby and wife while snorkeling at tunnels that were very into music. They meet quiet a few locals and went to there homes in Hanalei to "jam" with. We went one night with them. It was a lot of fun. He also went to the guatair store to find out about places to play. There is quite a bit going on on the island that is not advertised.

Have fun.

9. Re: E Kanikapila Kakou Schedule - March 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 00:18