We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon on the North Shore, Dec. 2009

Franklin...
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon on the North Shore, Dec. 2009

Hello all:

After much research, we have decided to brave the high likelihood of rain and honeymoon on the North Shore of Kauai from Dec. 21-26 before heading off to Wailea, Maui for 7 nights. We figured since we would be doing the sun and beach part of the HM in Maui, we'd want to be closer to the exploration side of Kauai, and in all of the pics I have seen, the North Shore just seems more romantic. Suggestions for specific condo units/ condo complexes? We can't afford the St. Regis, but what about the Westin? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon on the North Shore, Dec. 2009

I think that the Westin is nice, but it also seems to attract more families with kids. You might enjoy the Hanalei Bay Resort or Pu'u Poa more. There are some gorgeous units at HBR with drop dead views of Hanalei Bay. You can't hardly go wrong there.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon on the North Shore, Dec. 2009

Second Kimocats suggestion....

The Hanalei Bay Resort is really quite nice, and perhaps, jebett can assist with scoops on the happy talk lounge being open.

One thing, that is important. You mentioned exploration.

Do check out the trail conditions if there has been substantial rain.

Denny

California
Level Contributor
35,534 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon on the North Shore, Dec. 2009

The Westin is very nice, but you will experience tons of kids. Last year there was a horrible incident where these families let their kids go wild there. They were setting off alarms and causing havoc so we heard. The beach access is very poor from the Westin. If you rent a suite you will hear the people snoring in the adjoining room so you'll need to rent a larger unit.

The North Shore is gorgeous rain or shine. I was there 2 Xmas's ago and if it was a rainy day we just headed out to explore.

Denny mentioned HBR and the Happy Talk Lounge. It should be open very soon. It's nice to have a bar/restaurant right on site.

The restaurant at the Westin is good in my opinion by the way. I love their beet salad.

If you want to consider condos do look at Hanalei Bay Resort or Puu Poa. Those are the two nicest complexes. Rent through a private owner only as those are the superior units. Remember, it's all about the views.

http://www.summitpacificinc.com/

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…princeville

Franklin...
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon on the North Shore, Dec. 2009

Awesome- great help! I am going to check out the HBay Resort and Pua Poa (sp?) condos. Sounds like the Westin is nice, but too kid ish for us. My future hubby and I are both teachers, and love kids, but not on our HM! :)

denver, CO
Level Contributor
475 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon on the North Shore, Dec. 2009

there was a thread just recently with this same subject...put in "honeymoon north shore" in search box above and you will get tons of suggestions....congrats!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon on the North Shore, Dec. 2009

I would highly recommend the Hanalei Bay Resort. We toured unit 4222 last summer and really loved everything about it. Beautiful interior and fabulous views! It was close to the great pool (but not too close). We enjoyed a nice lunch at the Happy Talk Lounge. You also have access to a very nice beach. We walked down a totally cool path but there is a shuttle that can take you down and back. It was a short walk. They also have nice tennis courts, barbecues and a smaller pool area. You can find some great condos through Summit Pacific.

summitpacificinc.com/hanalei_bay_resort.html

Here is the link to the unit we toured:

www.summitpacificinc.com/4221-4222.html

Franklin...
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon on the North Shore, Dec. 2009

Do all of you think it would be better if we stayed on the "coconut coast" so that we had equal access to north and south shore beaches/ exploration? It doesn't seem as romantic or beautiful as the North Shore, but perhaps we may have SOME sun. I really love the pics of the North Shore and I'm torn. Def. do not want to do the South Shore as we are doing Maui for 7 days in Wailea, though. What do you think?

California
Level Contributor
35,534 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon on the North Shore, Dec. 2009

Many people do as you are suggesting and stay on the East side. It is not half as pretty as the North Shore, a bit more congested, and nice accommodations are fewer.

If you do, here are some suggested places to stay:

Waipouli Beach Resort: newer complex by Outrigger. Across the street from a big shopping center with Safeway, Longs, Subway etc. Fun pool, not such a great restaurant but you'd have other options, might have a lot of kids, non swimming beach.

Marriott Lihue: highrise hotel, great pool, good restaurants closeby

Kauai Coast Resort/Beach Boy: condo/hotel, redone rooms, was an older motel years ago so not modern looking (more older Hawaii feel), great restaurant right there, tiny pool, beach not good for swimming.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon on the North Shore, Dec. 2009

I guess it depends on how much time you want to spend driving around the island. I usually advise first timers to consider the east shore if they arenot staying for at least a week or more. It does cut down on drive times. On the other hand, the choices for accomodations in the "honeymoon" class are fewer. The Waipouli Beach Resort is probably the newest and most upscale condo complex on the east coast. There are no upscale hotels there. Take a look at Waipouli on their website and see if that is something you might enjoy.

Franklin...
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon on the North Shore, Dec. 2009

That's what I figured- nope, sticking with the North Shore. We're only in Kauai for 5 nights, but I want them to be romantic, and even the rain is romantic in a beautiful setting! :)