We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian food in Kauai

Sunnyvale
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Topic
Vegetarian food in Kauai

Are there any good Vegetarian option (No Seafood too) restaurants in kauai? All the search that I did brought me to very old topics and none of them had any information on any new restaurants or a good one with Vegetarian option. Hence little concerned as we are Vegetarians and we don't eat any kind of meat including seafood.

Also it looks like the best Vegetarian option restaurant called Blossomlotus is now closed.

So is there any other restaurant that serve good vegeratian food or have options of good vegetarian stuff?

California
Level Contributor
35,832 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarian food in Kauai

A good option is Postcards in Hanalei. Most restaurants I frequent have many vegetarian options. My daughter is vegetarian and we never have trouble anywhere we go on Kauai.

Yes Blossoming Lotus closed down after Xmas.

One great veggie meal I had was at Mediterranean Gourmet in Haena. They have a vegetarian plate with hummus, falafal (sp??), grape leaves etc. It was excellent.

I truly feel you can go into any restaurant and fine a pasta dish or vegetarian dish and be very happy.

Toronto
Level Contributor
80 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian food in Kauai

The first thing you should know as a vegetarian is that there are two locations of Papaya's - a health/organic food store with a cold/hot buffet/salad bar on Kauai (one in Kapaa, one in Hanalei). There is a second organic store in Kapaa whose name escapes me... Anyway, it was a pretty good option for lunch.

We (my wife is a strict vegetarian) enjoyed a really good veggie meal at Cafe Coco in Kapaa (where we went after discovering that Blossoming Lotus closed down). There were quite a few all-veggie options on their menu, but they also serve fish dishes.

We also ate two meals at two decent pizza places - one in the north in Kilauea (Kilauea Bakery and Pau Hana Pizza), and one in the south (Brick Oven), in Kalaheo. Brick Oven has a second location in the north or east - I think in Kapaa, but I don't remember for sure. Across the street from the Brick Oven in Kalaheo was a coffee shop/diner which was also quite good for brunch/lunch options.

We didn't go, but people recommended two other places in Kapaa - one was Mermaids Cafe and I forget the second... As the previous poster mentioned, many places will have at least one veggie option. One night we were lazy to drive anywhere special and just asked a sushi restaurant to make us some veggie sushi off the menu which was no problem...

With Papaya's - and Safeway (etc), hopefully you will have at least a fridge in your room so you can self-cater lunch and/or breakfast to save money. We hate spending big bucks for a resort breakfast when we know we aren't eating the expensive breakfast meats. That said, we enjoyed some great veggie breakfasts (on request) at Dilly Dally House (Lo Lo Hale) B & B in Kapaa.

We hope to post formal reviews of the places we went to soon.

Sunnyvale
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian food in Kauai

IS Kappa close to Sheraton? We are planning to stay at Sheraton and this will be our first time to Kauai.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,485 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarian food in Kauai

While I am not a vegetarian, I like lots of vegetarian food and am just thinking that many places do have some veggie choices - other than like the steak houses. ;) For example, the Hanalei Gourmet has some incredible salads and something called artichoke toast that is just wonderful! I second the pizza in Kilauea - my favorite is the pomodoro. I think the Ultimate Kauai Revealed does a good job listing restaurants - that combined with looking here and some on-line research might give you the most/best choices for vegetarian food. You also might search more here on the forum, as I think this has come up in the past as well. Do report back - it would be good to have someone with this info. :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
877 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegetarian food in Kauai

Kapaa is not really close to the Sheraton. For closer veggie options to the Sheraton, by all means try Kalaheo Cafe. Both the vegetarians and the vegan in my family have found Kalaheo Cafe to be the tastiest option on the South/West side. They have salads and wraps with grilled, marinated tofu and happily substitute ingredients in any dish that is not pre-assembled (most of their dishes). The food is tasty, and there are plenty of non-veggie options as well. They have an excellent brunch and sometimes live music in the evenings.

There's also the vegetable saimen at hamura's, though I'm not sure about the broth.

Enumclaw, WA
Level Contributor
758 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegetarian food in Kauai

I'm here to second the Caffe Coco recommendation. It's located in Kapa'a across the main highway from Kintaro's Japanese restaurant. They have a pretty good veggie menu, and they do serve fish and some chicken or pork but you can substitute tofu for any of the proteins on the menu. I dream at night of their tofu potstickers with jungle jazz dipping sauce. I'm not kidding. I'm not a vegetarian, and neither is my husband, but those potstickers are a "must have" every time we come to Kauai. Mmm...and the silver thread salad.....

It might seem as if service is a little lackadaisical, but you'll get your food in due time--their kitchen is the approximate size of a postage stamp, and rice can't be hurried up for anybody. They don't have a liquor license, but you can bring a bottle of wine or some beer and for a small corkage fee they will open it for you and provide glasses.

There's also usually live music in the courtyard dining area, and it is really a lot of fun. Bring bug spray, dining in the garden means if there's a mosquito bloom they'll be dining on you.

Check out the menu here:

http://www.restauranteur.com/caffecoco/

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,485 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegetarian food in Kauai

I love potstickers - those sounds so good! That will be on my list for my next visit! :)

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegetarian food in Kauai

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Here is a pretty good website for vegetarian options here on Kaua'i - do bear in mind however that the restaurants below are no longer operating they have listed:

Kupono Cafe (I've never ever heard of this one!)

Aroma's

E B Eats

himalayanacademy.com/ssc/hawaii/dining.html

Their interpretation of locations is a little "off" to say the least as well - they have several Lihu'e locations (East Side) listed as South Shore.

The two that I'd definitely recommend (my hubby is a vegetarian and I don't eat fish) are:

Toi's Thai Kitchen (Eleele) - anything on the menu can be made vegetarian for you.........

Hanapepe Cafe - a well known vegetarian restaurant, but only on certain nights.

Both of these are on the West Side.

Also the pizza place mentioned - Brick Oven - they just opened a new location in Wailua on the East Side, right before Kapa'a.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Sunnyvale
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegetarian food in Kauai

Wow so many options.. Thank you all and keep it coming..

Sunnyvale
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegetarian food in Kauai

Oh Wow.. from the above website I see that there are two temples too in Kauai... I didn't know about those.. So I will definitely make sure that I visit them.

Thank you for sending that link to me.