We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The trip that almost wasn't....

Joseph, Oregon
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The trip that almost wasn't....

After over a year of planning, our trip to Kaua’i almost didn’t happen. Early last week my DH’s hip (which was replaced 18 months ago) started acting up and he was in a lot of pain and was having trouble walking. While being examined, x-rayed and ultra-sounded to see what was up with the hip, a mass was discovered in his abdomen. (Never did figure out the hip, but it got a little better every day and is good again now. Go figure…) He was immediately scheduled for a biopsy, which happened last Wednesday. We were still set to leave last Saturday, but weren’t sure if that was going to be possible. We found out the type of tumor it is the day after the biopsy, but we still don’t know (even even yet today) if it is malignant or benign. The doctor encouraged us to go on this trip and enjoy ourselves because as soon as we return DH is scheduled for surgery to remove the mass and depending on the news from the pathologist, he may also immediately begin chemo. Sure makes this trip extra, extra special!! I'm working on Trip Reports for the first few days, and hope to post them yet today. Just wanted to say, we are sooooo thankful to be here!

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The trip that almost wasn't....

I'm glad the Dr encouraged you to go. This is a special trip for you both.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,236 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: The trip that almost wasn't....

Thank you for sharing! As others said, have a wonderful trip, and I hope you arrive home safely and will be dealing with good news at that point! Enjoy yourselves at this time & moment! Sending "aloha"!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: The trip that almost wasn't....

I was diagnosed today with breast cancer, so your post really struck a chord with me. We won't be making the Hawaii trip I was hoping for this summer, but I have great memories from our other trips there, which I wouldn't trade for anything, and I'll spend the next few months looking forward to going back at some point. I know something of the stress you're under, but I hope you can put it aside and have the trip of a lifetime. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, and I hope you'll get good news from the doctors. Keep us updated.

Sandy

Joseph, Oregon
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: The trip that almost wasn't....

critt: Our hearts, thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours as well. Bless you.

Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
392 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: The trip that almost wasn't....

bellasadierubie,

I am sooo glad you are in Kauai and having a great time! I was diagnosed with breast cancer a year ago while I was planning a trip to Kauai with my brothers, sister, nephews and niece. I was advised not to go, but I went anyway and it was the best - being in such a beautiful healing place with my family. When I returned and started Chemo. I received about 15 gorgeous photos from our trip, which my brother had taken and enlarged for me. They always reminded me of our trip & made me feel better; (I placed them where I could see them when I went to sleep and when I woke up).

I am now finished with the Chemo. and radiation and everything went well, and I'm now making another trip to Kauai from March 27 to April 13 to rest, heal, and relax (Kauai is such a wonderful place for that). I hope good news will be waiting for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

critt,

Bless you, it is tough, but you can get through it! Cancer care is soooo much better these days. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to talk. The experience wasn't as bad as I had feared and made me stronger and more appreciative of all the good things in my life. My thoughts and prayers are with you as well.

- Marilee.

California
Level Contributor
38,438 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: The trip that almost wasn't....

Sandy,

Wow! You are dealing with a lot and our thoughts are with you too.

Please get lots of support and keep a positive attitude.

You will be on the beach in Kauai soon I hope.

http://ww5.komen.org/

Give to breast cancer research.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: The trip that almost wasn't....

bella~

I'm glad you're on your trip! Kauai is a very healing place. I took my first trip in 2002, right after I had a lump with cancer inside removed from my throat/neck. My doctor encouraged me to go, as well. My story has a happy ending and that first trip to Kauai will always be special. I hope all will go well for you and your husband. Have a blessed time on Kauai :)

jc

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: The trip that almost wasn't....

Bella, Marilee and Jebett, thanks for the kind words of support and the prayers. Marilee, I may be sending you a PM soon. I do have a couple of questions. Thanks for your encouragement and support.

Bella, I've been reading your trip reports. They're bringing back wonderful memories, and I'm glad to hear you're having such a wonderful time. I hope you thoroughly enjoy every minute of your trip! I'm also continuing to pray for good news when you return home.

Sandy

Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
392 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: The trip that almost wasn't....

Sandy,

Please do send a PM. I have been through it all this year (I had stage III) and I'm fine and I made it through very well.

The MOST important thing to do (besides exercise, organic foods, and acupuncture), is to plan another trip to Kauai. That way you have something to look forward to, plan, and dream about, while you are going through it all; and then when you are done - what better place to heal and de-stress!

Take care,

Marilee.

Joseph, Oregon
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: The trip that almost wasn't....

What an amazing group of folks who hang out in this forum! Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this string of posts. You're personal disclosures and words of encouragement are awesome.

We should finally hear tomorrow what the results of DH's biopsy were and when his surgery is scheduled to happen. We are cherishing every minute of our time on Kaua'i and will travel home next Friday and Saturday recharged and prepared to meet whatever challenges lie before us. And I love the tip about planning our next trip to Kaua'i as part of the way to take good care of ourselves through this. I'll definitely get started on that part right away!!

OK, by a show of hands, how many of you have taken steps towards planning your next trip to Kaua'i while still in Kaua'i? : ) I thought so....