We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The trip that almost wasn't....

Joseph, Oregon
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The trip that almost wasn't....

After over a year of planning, our trip to Kaua’i almost didn’t happen. Early last week my DH’s hip (which was replaced 18 months ago) started acting up and he was in a lot of pain and was having trouble walking. While being examined, x-rayed and ultra-sounded to see what was up with the hip, a mass was discovered in his abdomen. (Never did figure out the hip, but it got a little better every day and is good again now. Go figure…) He was immediately scheduled for a biopsy, which happened last Wednesday. We were still set to leave last Saturday, but weren’t sure if that was going to be possible. We found out the type of tumor it is the day after the biopsy, but we still don’t know (even even yet today) if it is malignant or benign. The doctor encouraged us to go on this trip and enjoy ourselves because as soon as we return DH is scheduled for surgery to remove the mass and depending on the news from the pathologist, he may also immediately begin chemo. Sure makes this trip extra, extra special!! I'm working on Trip Reports for the first few days, and hope to post them yet today. Just wanted to say, we are sooooo thankful to be here!

Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
391 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: The trip that almost wasn't....

Bella,

I've actually taken steps to plan another trip to Kauai before I've even gone on THIS ONE! That's hardcore!

My fingers and toes are all crossed for you for good news tomorrow.

Have fun today!!!

Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
391 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: The trip that almost wasn't....

Wow,

I just re-read my last post on this topic and all I can say is...

My name is Marilee and I'm a Kauaiaholic, does anyone know if there is a 12-step program for that?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,930 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: The trip that almost wasn't....

malawacky: If there is such a group, they meet at the beach and you can join them when you get there . . . and if they aren't there, they are posting here on TA. hahaha! :)

Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
391 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: The trip that almost wasn't....

No, Coalminer,

Having a Kauaiaholic meeting on a BEACH in KAUAI with fellow TA'ers, would be like having an AA meeting at a really fun BAR, serving free drinks - maybe not such a good idea?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,930 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: The trip that almost wasn't....

Oh, you are right! I guess you would have to come here . . . no tropical atmosphere here! :) However, a beach meeting with drinks does sound just wonderful to me. :)

26. Re: The trip that almost wasn't....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 22:22