We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

video of monk seals coming on shore at Lawai

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
video of monk seals coming on shore at Lawai

Ok, my son in law took this video and my daughter put it on utube. It's a new video recorder and he's not the best videographer, but there are some pretty neat views of this rare occurance of 2 young monk seals traveling together. Skip about the first minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_eJciYCu-c

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: video of monk seals coming on shore at Lawai

That is a great video!!!! Thanks for posting it.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,013 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: video of monk seals coming on shore at Lawai

Interesting behavior. Was trying to decide if it was mating behavior or a mother and pretty well grown pup.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: video of monk seals coming on shore at Lawai

that was just adorable! We saw so many this trip. I love them, thanks for sharing. Jeez! I hope I don't offend anyone but what was with that lady getting so close to them?

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: video of monk seals coming on shore at Lawai

Actually I was glad to hear you or someone in your party telling that woman to get back. Even with all of the information available about staying away from endangered monk seals, on every trip, we always see someone who wants to walk up close to take a picture. Please, please stay back from the seals and if you see someone getting too close or in any way bothering them, let these folks know that they can get in a bunch of trouble and owe a big fine with such behavior.

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: video of monk seals coming on shore at Lawai

Thanks for posting this!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: video of monk seals coming on shore at Lawai

I think I heard someone in the background say you are supposed to leave 25 feet between you and the seal. Some people just don't realize they could get hurt. I've watched people jump out of vehicles and run toward bears with their cameras. Duh!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: video of monk seals coming on shore at Lawai

I meant to mention that we have friends who arrived on Kauai Wednesday and are staying at Lawai Beach Resort. I sure hope they got to see these two cuties on the beach.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: video of monk seals coming on shore at Lawai

Thanks so much for posting that link! Monk seal education via UTUBE! Gotta love it! DH actually spotted one from out lanai in Jan! Never seen one in Maui before!

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: video of monk seals coming on shore at Lawai

lovely2 -- tell your friends that the monk seals come up to sun quite frequently there at Lawai Beach. If they aren't there, then sometimes they are in front of the Sheraton, over at Poipu Beach Park. We also have seen them frequently at Maha'ulepu Beach.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: video of monk seals coming on shore at Lawai

Incredible video. Thanks for sharing. Monk seals are on the CRITICALLY ENDANGERED list. There are only 1200 on the planet. It is 25 yards to stay away not feet. Great to see these people keeping them safe!!