We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What kind of Souvenirs do you buy?

kdh, nc
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What kind of Souvenirs do you buy?

What are your favorite souvenirs that you have gotten from Kauai? I'm looking for something a little more authentic than a Kauai t-shirt.

Food items? Local crafts? Artwork?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,603 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What kind of Souvenirs do you buy?

Food, mostly. My mother rated a Ni`ihau shell lei.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What kind of Souvenirs do you buy?

A lot of my Kauai souvenirs over the years have been jewlry and artwork from local artists. I have an interestng collection of earrings that have been made by Kauai folks. Check out the local art and craft fairs and also small shops that carry local artists. And if you do need a Kauai tee-shirt, stop by Pohaku T's in old Koloa town -- everything there is made on Kauai and is not the same old, same old you see in the other stores.

Cleburne, Texas
Level Contributor
401 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What kind of Souvenirs do you buy?

I like to buy Ni'ihua shell necklaces for my wife and scrimshaw for myself. Over the years we have quite a collection of both and it brings back the memories of our many visits.

California
Level Contributor
36,411 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What kind of Souvenirs do you buy?

I have 2 favorite shops on the island I always go to. One is Sand People (located in Poipu, Princeville and Hanalei) and the other is Banana Patch Studios. My friends love the tiles I buy for them and my nieces and nephews like the books I can get there.

Here is their website.

http://bananapatchstudio.com/

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What kind of Souvenirs do you buy?

Kauai coffee and Maile body lotion

California
Level Contributor
36,411 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What kind of Souvenirs do you buy?

"Maile body lotion"

I can buy that at the local gift shop in my town....and I do!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What kind of Souvenirs do you buy?

They dont have it here//only online

KCMO
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What kind of Souvenirs do you buy?

We pretty much hit everything..from nice to really cheap. And always a Christmas ornament. My favorite had to be the sugar cane. I've always wanted to try it and finally got my chance. It wasn't quite like I thought it would be.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,741 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What kind of Souvenirs do you buy?

kauai coffee

kauai honey

a hand full of sand...i need it for the long winters in idaho

lilikoi butter and other thing made by that company

lots of wonderful pictures

the grocery store is great to look for local items..

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What kind of Souvenirs do you buy?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

There is a line of body products made on Kaua'i - they are called "Malie" - pronounced -

"mah-lee-ay", which means "calm" in 'Olelo Hawai'i".

It can easily be confused with the maile (pronounced mai-lay) vine that is used to make the green, scented leis that you see for special occasions - such as weddings - I have one scenting my room right now - Leilani gave me the one she used for our recent Ho'ike and its scent is filling my room with...."malie" (calm) - LOL!

Here is the website for the "Malie" products - note that it says you can purchase them at the Princeville Hotel - which is closed.

http://www.malie.com/comp_about.html

I saw this line of products just last Thursday at Coconut Marketplace - right down from the room where we were holding our 'Olelo Hawai'i" class - the samples were out in front of the store and I couldn't resist - the one called "Koke'e" is fabulous and smells just like maile and other green forest scents of Koke'e.

I know they have or had a store down at Port Allen as well where you could purchase them.

I'm not affiliated with them in anyway other than I'm hooked on the "Koke'e" fragrance they put out!

I'm also using the "pikake" body lotion that someone so kindly gave me for a gift - with all this cool wind, my skin is drying up and I do need it indeed!

A great souvenir of Kaua'i and one that is made right here on island.

Malama Pono,

Janet