We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Specific Condos on the South Shore

Franklin...
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Specific Condos on the South Shore

Hello:

We have finally decided that we do want a condo or cottage on the south shore (on or near Poipu beach) and not a hotel. I am overwhelmed with the amount of units out there. Looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom unit with a pool AND hot tub in the complex (that does not close- we can get in the hot tub after a long day of hiking and not worry about it closing on us), within short walking distance of- or on the beach, not on ground floor (worried about noise above us). We'd like a unit that is updated, with a nice TV for movie watching at night and a lanai. Any suggestions would be great. I already have an email into Parrish Kauai, but thought it might be nice to know if anyone has stayed anywhere like this and loved it. You have all been so helpful already! I have been in contact with one condo owner in the Regency Condos and really like that unit, but wanted to see if there is anything else out there. THANKS!

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Specific Condos on the South Shore

Whalers Cove would be a good choice, though it is a bit pricey. (Not sure if you have a strict budget.) The only thing about Whalers Cove is that you're not directly on a beach, though you are oceanfront. It's a very short drive to the closest beach though. It does have a pool and hot tub, though, and I understand it's kind of hard to find oceanfront condos in the Poipu area with both. I don't know the hours of the hot tub, but I can't imagine it closing down much before 8 or 9 pm.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,491 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Specific Condos on the South Shore

saschb,

We rent 99% of our condos and houses from Parrish. They are a top notch company and will help you out!We decided to stay in Poipu Sands #428 for our trip in June. But it is not that close to a swimable beach. It has a nice pool and we wanted to be closer to the Hyatt this time. Try these places on Parrish's website:

Nihi Kai (I like unit #200 but it was not available for our stay) and Kauaigerl00 is staying in builiding 8 in May (forget which unit). Building 8 has some incredible views and it's a short walk to the beach, pool and jacuzzi.

Parrish has two units at Whaler's Cove and they are ocean front with a nice pool. You can walk easily to Baby's Beach from there (about 1 block in a residential neighborhood).

You can also check out Manualoha section of Poipu Kai. Again, close walk to the beach and they have a couple of nice pools.

My husband stayed in Poipu Palms last December (#203). It was a nice unit right on the ocean but he thought it was very small. It might be perfect for a couple. You would need to walk down Pe'e Road to access the beach. The pool and jacuzzi are built on a platform overlooking the ocean. Makahuena, Poipu Makai, Sunset Kahili and Poipu Shores are also along this road.

Regency is a nice area but only offer garden views. They are new and have wonderful interiors. Parrish has 3 units in Regency with access to the nicer pool at the Villas.

I hope this helps. The folks at Parrish are very helpful and can give you a run down on each location and availability. Ask about their specials, too! They are open today (Saturday) so you might want to give them a call on their toll free line.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,491 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Specific Condos on the South Shore

You might want to also check out Poipu Kahili on Hoonani Road. You would have to walk to the beach at Kiahuna Plantation and the Sheraton but it is supposed to be a very nice complex (I've never stayed there). You look across a small road to the ocean and it's all lava rocks there. The Koloa Landing construction is directly behind this complex but most folks say it has not affected their stay.

We also stayed in Mahualoha # 101 through Kauai Rentals in 1998. It's at the end and it a one bedroom/loft. My only complaint is that this rental agency does not maintain their units quite as well as Parrish. But it was a nice enough unit for the two of us. (before kids) I do not remember if they had a jacuzzi since I was pregnant at the time and did not use jacuzzis during my pregancies.

www.KauaiRentals.com and then click 2 bedroom

Franklin...
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Specific Condos on the South Shore

I think Parrish is our best bet. I'm going to give them a call--- excellent suggestions, and feeling like I'm going to find our place today! :) Though Poipu Kapili looks nice, we really don't need such a big space for us (the condos are HUGE), but it would be worth it to give them a call. I don't think they have a hot tub though...

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,491 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Specific Condos on the South Shore

Nihi Kai is really a nice complex. Unit #200 is right at the pool and I wanted this for my kids. But we stayed in Building 8 in early 1998 and absolutely loved the view of the Poipu coastline. You are far enough away from the pool but close enough to walk down and enjoy. Honestly, I do not think I've ever spent time in a jacuzzi on Kauai except at the Hyatt but after a long hike, it would be heavenly. Tell the gals at Parrish that Marti says hi. I have a long history with renting from them and I recommend them highly.

Franklin...
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Specific Condos on the South Shore

Great- thanks Marti- I appreciate it. Going out for a run now, then I'll call....otherwise I'll spend all day while it's finally in the 50's here in Boston online, on the couch- not good! I really like the Nihi Kai condos, and probably will end up there. THANK YOU! Yes, and after a long day hiking, kayaking, or after a good long run, a nice hot tub will be great (we are runners!).

North Texas
Level Contributor
222 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Specific Condos on the South Shore

Also, at Nihi Kai - building 4 has killer views of the surf, close to the pool, but not too close for noise - we've found these, in bldg 4, have lots of breeze when others don't...just go with anything Parrish tells you!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Specific Condos on the South Shore

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I would also recommend Nihi Kai Villas - they are lovely, right across the street from Brennecke's Beach and Po'ipu Beach Park - a lovely swimming pool - but no jacuzzi (at least I don't see it listed as an amenity at the property, altho' there is a keiki pool).

I think that you'll find that most properties that have a pool and/or hot tub/jacuzzi do have posted hours - mostly for the convenience of the guests staying there - while I'm sure you wouldn't do so - many folks will hang in the hot tub or pool and party until wee hours of the a.m. unless there were posted hours. When I worked at the Sheraton we used to get guest complaints late at night that someone was in the pool or hot tubs making noise - then we'd have to send security to have them "informed" of the hours (which were posted).

I would also check out Kiahuna Plantation - wonderful plantation-style condos that are set in a large, beautifully landscaped area - lots of tropical flowers and trees - a pathway takes you directly down to the beach - which is usually swimmable (always check ocean conditions before going in however). The pool situation is the only drawback as it is across the street from the complex.

You are also within walking distance to several restaurants and the shopping at Po'ipu Shopping Village.

I'm not really "into" hot tubs, and so can't tell you who does or doesn't have them except for Po'ipu Kai - I take a water aerobics class there (The Regency area) and there is a hot tub. Posted hours however - most of the time they close at 9 or 10pm I believe. This is also a large, lovely complex of condos - some have oceanviews, there are several pools scattered around the complex and you are issued a key for the one in your area. A lovely greenbelt takes you right to Brennecke's Beach and Po'ipu Beach Park.

These would be my recommendations based on what you are asking for - hope any of it helps!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Specific Condos on the South Shore

<<I really like the Nihi Kai condos, and probably will end up there. THANK YOU! Yes, and after a long day hiking, kayaking, or after a good long run, a nice hot tub will be great (we are runners>>

Oh Nihi Kai is wonderful - I have been in the unit I am staying in in May before - It is a top floor unit, all updated, beautiful kitchen, Killer views from the Lanai of the ocean and mountains - it is unit 833 through Parrish.

www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/NK833.html

I wouldn't hesitate to stay there over and over again.

10. Re: Specific Condos on the South Shore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 02:17