We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants and Things To Do in Kauai

Boston
9 posts
Save Topic
Restaurants and Things To Do in Kauai

We are traveling to Kauai for a romantic get away in April. Looking for some good recommendations for restaurants (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and also some advice about helicopter tours or boat tours. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Cheryl

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants and Things To Do in Kauai

Aloha from Kaua'i!

It would help to know where you are staying while you are here.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants and Things To Do in Kauai

Chermcgee: I just returned from two months on Kauai. While we are perhaps of the "budget" travel set, we did splurge on dinner at Roy's, Poipu (excellent food); for lunch, our favorite stop was the Fish Express in Lihue. It's to-go only, but we'd find a fabulous beach spot and enjoy a picnic. We also wanted to do a heli-tour, but the weather simply didn't cooperate. You may want to read the following: …about.com/od/…copter_safety.htm and decide which company to go with. There were no NaPali boat tours in the winter when we were there, but perhaps by April, you could even get a snorkel/boat trip?

Boston
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants and Things To Do in Kauai

Thanks so much for your fast reply, and I'm totally jealous that you were there for two whole months; wow! We like to do budget things too, just like to splurge once in awhile for something special. Appreciate your comments; thanks! Any good beaches to recommend? We are staying at the Aston at Makaiwa, but their beach is not swimmable.

Boston
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants and Things To Do in Kauai

Hi Janet:

We are staying at the Aston at Makaiwa. And thanks for your fast reply!

Cheryl

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants and Things To Do in Kauai

You are staying just a short walk down the beach from Hukilau Lanai, at the Kauai Coast Resort -- my favorite restaurant on the island -- a great menu for dinner and reasonable (for Kauai) prices. I also like the King and I Thai restaurant there in Kapaa and the Ono Family Restaurant for wonderful breakfasts with a local feel. You can also grab a good burger at Duane's Ono Char burger on the road north at Anahola -- just a roadside joint, but good burgers.

California
Level Contributor
36,106 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants and Things To Do in Kauai

Tahoequeen wrote:

There were no NaPali boat tours in the winter when we were there.

I am not sure what you mean. There are MANY tour companies to choose from going out of Pt Allen until May when a few companies start back up on the North Shore. Capt. Andy's is one I have been on and enjoyed, plus HoloHolo is a reputable company.

Kimocats rec' of Hukilau is spot on. I also enjoy Olympic Cafe in Kapaa for breakfast, but please take a drive to the North Shore and go to Wake Up Cafe for their famous Over The Falls French Toast. In the cute, quaint town of Hanalei is also BarAcuda for dinner (tapas) and Hanalei Gourmet for excellent lunches. It is located in the old school house.

Close to you is Scotty's, Kintaros, and on the South side is Beach House (good sunsets and make a reservation), Plantation Gardens and Tidepools at The Grand Hyatt.

frommers.com/destinations/…11_inddin.html

Taking a helicopter ride is an unforgettable experience. Type in helicopter tours in the search box and you will see a lot of threads on this topic.

The best advice is buy a guidebook or two.

Remember the waters behind your "resort" is not good for swimming.

Have a wonderful romantic time.

Boston
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants and Things To Do in Kauai

I'm getting so many great suggestions, thanks so much!! My fiance is active, loves to snorkel, etc.; myself I am a beach bum and will be happy to breathe in the beautiful air and smell of the ocean. Any recommendations for a good luau?

California
Level Contributor
36,106 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants and Things To Do in Kauai

Good beaches:

Anywhere on the North Shore, but check ocean conditions, Lawai Beach (small but good snorkeling in Poipu), Lydgate on the East side.

Great bike riding path near your hotel too.

Best Luau is Smith's very close to your hotel.

http://www.smithskauai.com/

http://aloha2hawaii.com/kauai_beaches.html

(beach list)

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants and Things To Do in Kauai

We too will be there in April (5-11).

One of our favorite places for dinner is Duke's at the Lihue Marriott. This is normally our first night on the island dinner place.

Can't say much for breakfast since we have always eaten breakfast in our condo BUT I plan to explore at least once this trip since I've heard there is a great place in Lihue near us (Tip Top Cafe).

I can however recommend helicopter tours and boat tours as we have taken part in these a few times.

We have done the waterfall helicopter tour with Inter Island twice and loved it both times. The tour is of the entire island with a stop at a private waterfall for lunch and swimming.

We also took a tour this past Sept with Wings Over Kauai, fixed wing, and enjoyed it so much. DH even had a chance to fly the plane.

We have also gone out with Kauai Sea Tours for their sunset dinner cruise a couple of times. In April you still have an popportunity to see whales which is really why I go out. The Lucky Lady is a 60 ft catamaran that holds up to 93 pax but they only book 49 per trip. This gives you lots of room to move around.

The dinner includes teriyaki chicken, rice, barbecue beef, dinner rolls, tossed mixed greens salad, tropical fruits and fresh baked desert, sliced vegetable crudite with spinach dip and pretzels to snack. Juices, sodas and water is available throughout the tour. With proof of I.D. for those over 21 years of age alcoholic beverages served beer, wine and Mai Tai's included in tour price.

If you are on the island on April 9, keep an eye out for a TA get together.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,514 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants and Things To Do in Kauai

For a good, budget-conscious dinner, try TC's in the Coconut Marketplace. Good, basic food, lots of local stuff. Their teriyaki beef is especially good, and I also like their panko-breaded fish (and chips).