We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captain Sundown OR Na Pali Catamaran??

SoCal
Level Contributor
36 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Captain Sundown OR Na Pali Catamaran??

I'm having a hard time deciding which to do? Both leave from the North and both look great. Can anyone help me decide?

Captain Sundown has a great looking boat with lots of room but doesn't go in any sea caves and Na Pali Catamaran goes in the caves, but the boat does not look as roomy or nice??

Comments from anyone who has done either would be appreciated!!

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Captain Sundown OR Na Pali Catamaran??

I took the Na Pali Catamaran morning trip in June, and we all loved it. The boat is small, everyone sits on a bench seat facing out, but this was fine, you could stand up, walk around if you wanted. The sea caves were interesting and I was glad I got to go in one, but you can pretty much imagine what it is like so if a bigger boat is important to you then I don't think the brief time spent in a sea cave would outweigh that. In the small boat, it was a lot of fun as a boat ride, in addition to the spectacular scenery, snorkeling, etc. In other vacation spots, on bigger boats than this, I did not experience the sensation of a boat ride as much. I liked the people at Na Pali Catamaran, everyone was helpful, friendly and accomodating to each passenger's requests, e.g. to take a picture, follow dolphins, and that is something that would be more difficult to do on a bigger boat with more people. I was completely satisfied with our boat trip but did not go on Captain Sundown so cannot compare the two companies.

SoCal
Level Contributor
36 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Captain Sundown OR Na Pali Catamaran??

Thanks needsavacation. Na Pali Catamaran sounds great.

Has anyone else tried Captain Sundown???

Baltimore
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Captain Sundown OR Na Pali Catamaran??

When are you planning on going? We will be in Kauai in October which is the last month the boats from the north shore go out for the winter since the seas tend to get rougher this time of year. I am considering Captain Sundown from the north shore but they told me they do have some cancellations due to rough seas in October. We are also considering Liko which leaves from the west shore and they use a power catamaran which allows them to go farther up the coast than the other west side companies and their boats can go into sea caves (weather permitting). Also their boat seem to be able to handle rough seas better.

Southern California
Level Contributor
242 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Captain Sundown OR Na Pali Catamaran??

Yes, we booked with Captain Sundown in July. We had a great time. He and his son "Larry" are a couple of very sweet, scruffy lookin characters.....we loved em! They were VERY professional. They were very knowledgable and experienced. Larry told lots of tales and stories all the way down the coast....he was funny, kinda goofy at times.....but again, professional and knowledgable.

No, we did not go into any seacaves because the catamaran was too big for that.....but we saw a lot up close. Captain Sundown said he always felt one takes a risk when going into those caves (a big wave comes in, and thats it!) But this time of year, I wouldnt worry about that too much. Besides, on the way back up the coast they go in pretty close to the shore, so you can see into a lot of the caves.

They took us to the very end of the Napali coast. We snorkeled in a very safe spot (inside a reef), then came back real close to the coastline so we got an amazing view of everything, the beaches.....and Larry pointed out famous beaches that certain movies were filmed on.

They were always very saftey minded, and I appreciated that. They were always mindful of not littering in the ocean (as so many do) But we were allowed to throw any uneaten food in, as the fish come up to eat it. We saw dolphins and all kinds of beautiful fish. We had a great deli lunch and fruit, drinks, and chips...even oreo cookies!

I HIGHLY recommend Captain Sundown......you will not be disappointed. We will definitely use him again when we go back. Hope this helps you make up your mind!! Have fun!

Southern California
Level Contributor
242 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Captain Sundown OR Na Pali Catamaran??

P.S. Yes, in October there could be some weather issues. They have you call in the morning of the sail to see if the trip is still "on". But you spend more time seeing the Napali Coast if you leave from the north shore than from the south shore. this is the only way to go in my opinion.

Southern California
Level Contributor
242 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Captain Sundown OR Na Pali Catamaran??

Correction: You see more of the Napali Coast if you leave from the north shore rather than leaving from the WEST side. Ive done that before, and the whole trip is just cruising over to the north shore, and then not spending as much time on the Napali Coast. You must definitely leave from Hanalai Bay (on the north shore).

Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Captain Sundown OR Na Pali Catamaran??

We did a sunset cruise with Captain Sundown and absolutely loved it. We really enjoyed talking with Larry, he was very informative and funny. Although we weren't able to go inside the caves, Captain Bob made sure he got as close as he could. He pulled the catamaran right up to a waterfall and got my son wet, it was a great photo op.

jq
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
661 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Captain Sundown OR Na Pali Catamaran??

So are we saying the tour boats don't do the Na Pali tours from North shore in early Nov? Not interested in snorkeling, just a chance to see the cliffs from a different perspective.

Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Captain Sundown OR Na Pali Catamaran??

jg - If I remember correctly, Captain Sundown said they could go out up till December, but they stop at the end of October. I guess it gets pretty rough out there because Larry (the first mate) said "it's tourism, not terrorism." LOL!!!

S>F>
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Captain Sundown OR Na Pali Catamaran??

Aloha, I have sailed 3 times with Captain Sundown. Guaranteed you will have the time of your life. He goes close to sea caves, and really sets the pace by his visitors. The boat oat is fabulous, and he is one of the only tours that goes from Hanalei, because he is so eco-conscious. Plus you sail Hanalei Bay as well as the coast, stopping to snorkel of course. I reccomend his tour wholeheartedly!!