We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something I've noticed

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Something I've noticed

We have been on Maui twice and people always greeted us with aloha and said mahalo instead of thank you. I have not heard a single person say aloha or mahalo to us since we have been on Kauai. It seems strange. Any ideas why?

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Something I've noticed

KK said, "Aloha and mahalo have their own uses; to plug them in for every hi, bye, and thank you is a tourist industry deal."

From the point of view of a tourist (or whatever you wish to call me...nicely of course), I must agree with KK.

Just this little example: I don't even feel right when the girls checking me out at the ABC Stores feel obligated (that's my opinion of course) to say "mahalo" for shopping ABC. I never say "mahalo" back, I only say "thank you". Because "thank you" is the right thing to say.

And please excuse, I don't mean to open a can or worms on this discussion.

Consider the source of the word "aloha". That means the most, I say. (Wonder how many times "aloha" is said at the typical luau! Yikes! A bit too much!)

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Something I've noticed

Thanks Janet for the link!

"Aloha Hard"! LOL. Certainly applies to some (all present company excluded of course) I'm still LOL...

BTW, I'm printing T-Shirts for sale. They read: "Aloha Hard Using Maui Reviled!"

Is anyone LOL? Send PM with address and $19.99 via PayPal to Caddy! :)

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Something I've noticed

Folks that I know who grew up in Hawaii are more ilkely to "howzit", as least to me.

And thanks for posting that video Janet -- it was a hoot.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Something I've noticed

I guess that would be like saying since I am from Texas you would expect me to say " Howdy Y'all" with my hellos and a " Y'all come back now - hear" with my good byes !

I loved that video and the shirts " Aloha Hard". Are they selling them anywhere on Kauai ? I'll be there in July and would love to have one ! I usually stock up on T-shirts at the ABC stores while I am there.

Joseph, Oregon
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Something I've noticed

That clip was hilarious! It sounded like Duane has a pretty nice voice and he can really bust a move, too! Thanks for the mid-afternoon giggle.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,923 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Something I've noticed

Duane does have a nice voice, and he's surprisingly graceful for a such a big guy.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,982 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Something I've noticed

the grand kids love it when we say..."get out the pu pus"...they just laugh and laugh...we use that term on the mainland all the time. no matter what, the grandkids laugh.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
28 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Something I've noticed

Lovely2: I spent 2 months on Kauai, staying in Princeville, and if I had a nickel for each "Aloha" and "Mahalo" I got shopping around town, it would pay may way back there. Despite the tough economic times all around, everyone was super friendly! Even airport security ... when I forgot to remove my laptop from my backpack. I will definitely miss the people over on Kauai!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,923 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Something I've noticed

What I like is that when you use a club card (or maybe it's the credit card effect) at Safeway, the cashiers actually look at the receipt and thank you by name. They also ask if you need help with carry out. Never experienced this on the mainland; certainly not in the NYC area.

Lucky I live Kaua`i.

Bay Area California
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Something I've noticed

pzp,

That is a total Safeway thing. I've had them do it all over California and AZ when you go to a Safeway. I always wait to hear how they mispronounce my name because no one seems to get it right. I actually feel sorry for them in my neighborhood. I live in an area where it looks like the United Nations and they are trying to figure out how to say all those foreign names.