We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something I've noticed

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Something I've noticed

We have been on Maui twice and people always greeted us with aloha and said mahalo instead of thank you. I have not heard a single person say aloha or mahalo to us since we have been on Kauai. It seems strange. Any ideas why?

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Something I've noticed

I live in Texas and all the grocery stores I shop do that.

Kauai, Hawaii
10 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Something I've noticed

AAAAAAAAAAAlllllllllllooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa Lovely!

I agree that it depends on where you go and who you are with. I have friends as new as me that say "Aloha", and friends who's family has been here for generations that say "Hey". Enjoy your visit!

Shootz (bye),

Kai

P.S. My 13 year old son taught me shootz. ;-)

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Something I've noticed

pzp, that isn't just a Kauai thing. Your Safeway card shows your name in their computerized register. Every safeway I've been to on the mainland they'll thank me by name. Or, they TRY to pronounce my last name. I almost wish they didn't even try because they always botch it, in a loud voice.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: Something I've noticed

I'm almost always thanked by name when I use my atm or credit card. I can see the cashiers looking for my name (trying to be discreet) and I appreciate their efforts to be a bit more personal.

About that clip ~ it slays me every time I see it and since Saturday night, I've watched it plenty :O And someone said duane is pretty graceful for a big guy (pzp?) and he IS! He's very fluid in his movement and that's what makes it all the more hilarious :O He's got a great smile too.

Now, Aloha Hard ~ is that kind of like "bite me?" I would LOVE a shirt like that :O My sister is going to Kauai next month ~ I'll ask her to bring one of them home for me :) I bet Rock Aloha Hard T-Shirts will be all the rage in another week or two.

What did you think about the "The Rock Obama" bit when he turns into the hulk when he gets mad?

jc

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,923 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Something I've noticed

The Rock Obama wasn't nearly as good as the opening number and the Kaua`i sketch.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Something I've noticed

One of the funniest moments in the skit was when the one fella slightly paused as he said, "Welcome to....Kauai". All even more funny with the cheesy picture of Waikiki Beach in the background! :)

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Something I've noticed

I guess not everyone thinks it's as funny as we do:

…yahoo.com/saturday-night-live/…tv_hawaii_snl

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Something I've noticed

I thought the skit was great---even added it to my blog.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,923 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Something I've noticed

>> I guess not everyone thinks it's as funny as we do: <<

Well, they're just old poops. :0

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Something I've noticed

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I've not seen any "Aloha Hard" t shirts around here yet - but that's not to say that they aren't coming -

especially if that "catch phrase" catches on!

If you do a "google" you will find them for sale online though.

I've seen Duane on the local news before when he was visiting O'ahu a couple (?) years ago - he visited the Samoan Cultural Center I believe and was invited to a kava ceremony - he also attended high school on O'ahu for a year - so he has some background here.

Here's another write-up from those "not amused" by the skit:

google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hSi9m…

I say "lighten up" personally! I like our Lt. Gov. Duke Aiona a lot, but jeez, have a sense of humor!

Malama Pono,

Janet

P.S. - just so this isn't so off-topic - personally I hear "howzit" as a greeting more than "aloha" - especially among younger folks - Kupuna I think tend to use "aloha" more.

No question both are used heavily in the visitor industry - employees are requested to use them at a lot of places.