We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We loved Kauai!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
We loved Kauai!

I've been so busy since arriving home that I haven't had a chance to post a trip report. Right now, I want to thank all the experts on this forum for their advice. We have been to Maui twice and this was our first time to Kauai. We are very torn as to which island we like the best. I think we will just have to come back to do more research! :o)

Everyone says that Kauai is very rural. We did not find it that way. In fact, we found it more urban but we live in a small community. We found the roads better than on Maui and easier to get around. We also found the shopping equal if not better to Maui. We never once met an unfriendly person in stores or restaurants. Everyone seemed to have the aloha spirit no matter where we went.

We stayed on the east side. First at Wailua Bayview from March 3 - 18 and then at Waipouli Beach Resort from March 19 - 30. No problems either place. We went north 3 different times and unfortunately, it rained every time. However, I love that area and would like to go back when the weather is better. We went south too many times to mention. We also went west to the Waimea Canyon (which is beautiful) and on a catamaran tour of the NaPali coast with Captain Andy's. Once again, the weather wasn't great but we did enjoy seeing the coast.

We saw whales, turtles, bottlenose dolphins as well as spinner dolphins. The highlight for me was the day we came upon 2 monk seals on Ke'e Beach. It made my day. Of course, the roosters, hens and chicks were every where and always gave me a chuckle when I saw them.

We ate out everywhere from the Kalapaki Beach Hut to Hukilau Lanai. The meal at Hukilau was awesome as was Kauai Pasta. We also ate at Kountry Kitchen twice, Eggberts twice, Duke's three times, Keoki's, Koke'e Lodge, Hanalei Gourmet twice, Kauai Pasta twice, Moloa Fruit Stand, Tahitian Lanai Bar and Grill twice. Geez, I didn't think we ate out that much!

The only glitch we had in the month we were there was with our car from Alamo. We rented a convertible and the trunk would not close or lock the first night. We took it back the next day and they just adjusted the latch. It worked until the day we went to the Waimea Canyon and wanted the top down. The trunk would not close and so the top would not come down. No matter what we tried it would not go down. We took it back to Alamo and they decided to give us another car. The first car was not full when we took it back since we didn't know they would give us a new car. At the end of the trip we were charged $14 for them to fill the tank. I didn't think that was right since it was not our fault we had to return the car. However, my husband just paid them and didn't question the charge.

Our two daughters joined us for the last 9 days on the island. They really loved Kauai as well. We all enjoyed and were impressed with Waipouli Beach Resort. The condos are very nice and never felt crowded with the 4 of us in a one bedroom. The pool area is very nice.

All in all, we had a great stay on the island except weather could have been better. When I look through our over 500 photos there are very few where the sky is a clear blue. We had two very nice days spent at Ke'e Beach and Waimea Canyon. The rest of the days were hit and miss with clouds, showers and cool temperatures. However, we wore shorts the whole time and were quite content in knowing that at home it was snowing and very cold. Life was good on Kauai. Once again, thanks to all the Kauai experts!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We loved Kauai!

wow! great report//too bad the weather did not play nice!! Sounds like you had a great trip//I cant wait to get there!!

California
Level Contributor
37,007 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We loved Kauai!

Hurry back and do it in May or September. You'll wish there were a few days of rain.

Where is Tahitian Lanai Bar and Grill? Is that at WBR?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,853 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We loved Kauai!

Glad to read about your trip - yes, rural means something entirely different when you really live rural - I find everything very handy on Kauai! :) Sounds like you had an enjoyable month - I am envious! So - what is it going to be next time for Hawaii?? :)

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We loved Kauai!

Wow! Thanks for the trip report! We'll be at WBR for 10 days in July. Did you go thru vrbo or Remax with WBR? Which condo # did you get if you don't mind me asking? You can PM me if you like.

Would LOVE to know some of the meals you had at the restaurants you went to and what you liked the best- most of those places are on my list too! What did you like the most at the Tahitian Bar and Grill?

Did you use the grill at WBR? Did you grocery shop at Safeway or Costco or both?

Thanks for any info! Welcome home!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,884 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We loved Kauai!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"Jebett" - I'm not the OP, but I do believe that the Tahitian Lanai Bar and Grill is the name of the new restaurant/lounge at WBR - I see the banner as I drive by on my way to hula!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We loved Kauai!

Lovely,

So glad you enjoyed Kauai. And you are so right - nothing there could compare to the way winter has hung on back here in Canada!

It sounds like you had a wonderful time!!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,776 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We loved Kauai!

lovely, I think we residents are also ready for a little less rain and a little more sun and warmth. It's been a rather atypical year for weather.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We loved Kauai!

I will try answer all of your questions.

jebett: Janet is right the Tahitian Lanai is oceanfront at WBR. The setting is nice but the service was slow. We had good food one night and not so great the next. It is what it is - a resort bar and grill.

coalminer: Today I was already looking at the Revealed books for Oahu and the Big Island. There will be another Hawaii trip - may next year as my husband retires in June. We both love the islands.

mezzsop: You are so right about the weather hanging on in Canada this year. After arriving back in Canada we started the drive home and ended up in a small blizzard close to home. We woke up the next morning to a winter wonderland. Some welcome home!

huladolz: We stayed in unit G307 at WBR. We booked through www.vrbo.com/107690 I'm in love with the kitchen and bathroom in that place. My husband used the grill a few times. They only have two for the entire complex but he didn't have any trouble getting to use it. You have to get a staff member to light it for you which seemed kind of dumb but that's the way it is.

Groceries: We bought groceries at Costco, WalMart, Safeway, Big Save and Star Market. Because Safeway is across the street from WBR we shopped there often but I found it to be one of the worst Safeways I've ever been in. They rarely had bananas at the store which drove my husband crazy. The fresh pizzas at Costco are so good! There is also a Shrimp Seafood dip at Costco that is so good. Also a mango salsa that is very good. We used Star Market all the time on Maui and found the one on Kauai is not as good.

Restaurants and what we ate:

Kalapaki Beach Hut - fish and chips and they were good.

Kountry Kitchen and Eggberts: I had bacon, eggs, hashed browns and toast at both places. Kountry Kitchen had better food and service by far. Their hash browns are so crispy and good.

Hanalei Gourmet: First time some type of chicken sandwich. Second time fish and chips. Okay.

Moloa Fruit Stand: A turkey sandwich loaded with veggies. It was very good but pricey. I also had a chai latte there that was good.

Koke'e Lodge: can't remember what I had but it wasn't great and rather overpriced.

Keoki's: Chicken Stir Fry which was very good.

Duke's: I had their almond chicken stir fry twice. I had fish and chips another time. Nice atmosphere.

Tahitian Lanai Bar and Grill: Shrimp Coconut which was good but the second time I had Kauai Pork Nachos which were cold when I got them. I didn't enjoy them nor did my husband.

Kauai Pasta: We went there twice and both times our meals were excellent. I had a seafood stew (not on their menu)which they just made special that day and it was so good. Next time I had chicken parmesan which was good as well. They also made me a virgin lava flow which was so different but very good. I believe they only serve beer and wine there.

Hukilau Lanai: We started off with their sweet potato ravioli - yummy! I had sugar cane shrimp and chicken which was also very good. I had the chocolate cake for dessert and by that time I was about ready to explode! Yummy though!

I now have over 500 photos to scrapbook. Give me time and patience and I'll get it done.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We loved Kauai!

You stayed for a month, I'm so jealous!!!!

Love the report, especially all the food - now I'm hungry.

3Chihuahuas

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We loved Kauai!

We were there for part of the same time. Wish we could have stayed a whole month, too!

We thought of going to Eggbert's once, but it looked like it was closed. I was surprised to read that it was open.