We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report April 5-12

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report April 5-12

The first two days of our trip was posted on another thread.

Tuesday, 4/7 – the day started at 5:30am for me (still on Pacific Time). Did my trip report for the first two days while enjoying a Hawaiian Sun fruit drink.

Had a tee time at 9:18 at Wailua so I got DH up for breakfast around 7ish. Headed over to the golf course a little early to see if we could get on the course any earlier than 9:18, and we could. Total cost for DH and I was $82 including a cart. We were paired up with two locals which was nice. Talked story with them while golfing. Richard’s, one of the guys we were golfing with, family owns Pacific Island Bistro in Kapa’a. The other guy, Chris, manages rentals on Oahu and was moving back over there as soon as he sold his place in Princeville ($2M home).

Since we finished golfing early enough to go have lunch so we decided to try out Pacific Island Bistro. Very nice people and really good food. We shared chix pot stickers and lemon tangerine chix.

After lunch DH went down to Supercuts (a few doors down from the restaurant) to get his hair cut. He loves to wait until we are in Kauai to get a hair cut. I shopped at ABC for some goodies.

Met up with a few TA friends (pzp and hula4me) at Hukilau Lanai for drinks and pupus at 6pm. It is so nice to be able to talk to people who live on the island and get the inside scoop.

Pzp and her DH just built a Bali home in Moloa’a so we followed her to see it. WOW is all I can say. It is absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately it was dark by the time we got there so we didn’t get the full view from their huge lanai that overlooks the valley.

Wednesday, 4/8 – had breakfast in the condo and then drove to Lydgate to take a long walk along the trail and beach.

Met our realtor again to look at more homes. Found one we really liked this time. It is off of Kamalu and Olohena in Kapaa.

Had planned a sunset cruise with Holo Holo but they called early in the day to cancel. What a bummer. I was looking forward to see whales and dolphins. Since they did not go out on Thursdays and we had plans for Friday already, we just asked for our money back.

Decided to walk over to Kalapaki Joe’s for dinner. BIG mistake. The service was very slow. Ordered drinks and appetizers and it took quite a while to get our luke warm pork won tons. We waited another 30 minutes or so and no meals so we decided to leave. Went to the bar to pay our tab, bartender was waiting on us, and she offered no compensation for our wait so we paid and left. Just as we were walking out, the food was coming out of the kitchen, too late we were not happy and were not going to stay.

Thursday, 4/9 – had breakfast in the condo and then headed out to the Hyatt to hike to Maha’ulepu beach. It was quite humid and windy for so early in the morning. We walked for about 40 minutes and decided to call it quits and head over to Poipu Shopping Center. Had lunch at Poipu Tropical Burger and it was surprisingly good. I had read bad reviews on TA but DH didn’t want a dog at Puka Dog so the next best place was the burger joint. DH had a mushroom burger and I had a teri chix sandwich.

We decided since we were in the south part of the island that we would head over to Kukiolono golf course for a quick 9 holes of golf. I was a bit concerned because the sky was quite dark but what the heck. The cost was less than $30 for both of us including a cart. We did get poured on a few times but it was still fun.

Went by to see the house that we found yesterday in Kapa’a and met with the selling realtor to ask some outstanding questions.

We then headed back toward Lihue while deciding where to eat. We decided to stop by the Kauai Beach Resort to see what they had for food. The restaurant is pretty expensive so we headed to the bar. DH ordered a pizza and I had the chix ceasar salad. Both were quite good.

Friday, 4/10 – This morning we decided to eat breakfast out and headed to Tip Top Café for banana/mac nut pancakes. They were very yummy and cheap.

Stopped by Kmart to pick up some malasades from the lady outside. They were nice and hot and had one as soon as we got back to the condo.

Met our realtor early in the afternoon to put together an offer on the house in Kapa’a. Had lunch with our Banyan Harbor friends, Denny and Erica, at the Nawiliwili Tavern. Both DH and I had a drink and quesadillas. Not bad for bar food!

Our realtor called to let us know that the sellers had countered our offer. Had a discussion about it and wanted to think about our next move.

We then hung out at the condo and around 5:30pm headed to Hanapepe for Art Night. What a great experience. The place was hopping. We explored a bunch of the art studios and bought a few gift.

Had dinner at Bobbie’s in Hanapepe. DH had the tempura shrimp sandwich and I had huli huli chicken with rice and mac salad. We sat outside and watched the movement of people through the street. Both meals were very good. I had leftovers to take back to the condo.

Saturday, 4/11 – had breakfast in the condo.

Since we had to check out of the condo we were headed to Honolulu for a night before we headed home on Sunday.

Before we checked out, we both ate leftovers from the night before. My huli huli chix was just as good ad the night before and DH had leftover pizza from Thursday night.

Talked to our realtor and told her that we were not planning to counter there counter at this time.

I had made prior arrangements to have Star Taxi pick us up at the Honolulu airport. I called them as soon as we got our bags and we were picked up within 5 minutes. They charge a flat fee for trips into Waikiki and it was just the two of us in the car.

We checked into the Royal Kuhio which is two blocks away from the Royal Hawaiian Hotel and Waikiki beach. We couldn’t get our keys right away so we stored our bags and went out to explore the area for a while until we could get our keys.

Had dinner at Tony Romas down from the condo. Food was pretty much just like home but DH’s chicken tender platter was $16.99 ($10.99 in CA)! We also asked when we came in about Happy Hour and the girl sat us in the restaurant. Lo and behold no Happy Hour prices in the main dining area. DH had a talk with the manager about the price of the chicken and why we couldn’t take advantage of Happy Hour since we did not choose to be sat in the dining room. The manager gave us 30% off the entire bill for the inconvenience.

Sunday, 4/12 – We got up and headed to Ihop for breakfast and then took a walk along the beach. DH wanted to watch the Masters Golf so we headed back to the condo to finish packing and watch golf.

It was off to the airport at 11am with Star Taxi and heading home at 1pm. Flight was uneventful with the exception of the crying baby when we took off.

Looking forward to returning to Kauai and finding our retirement home!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report April 5-12

Great report!! Thanks. Yes we were watching the Masters here also. Just a few more days. You are so very very very fortunate to be able to look for a home on Kauai. I bet you find exactly what you want. Also my dh and I were just talking about Tony Roma"s the other day. I miss that restaurant they shut down in thie area. Chicken $16.99 ???????

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,777 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report April 5-12

I've been waiting for the trip report. Kukiolono and Hanapepe - what fond memories. I feel like I'm there again - thank you!

Did you notice if the young couple that makes burritos still set up (under the easy-up) by the swinging bridge in Hanapepe?

Tip-Top Cafe for breakfast is added to my list of "New Things to Do, See & Eat"

Gotta go find your other report,

3Chihuahuas

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,212 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report April 5-12

Sorry about the house but the right one will come along. thanks for the report. Malasadas, will have to check that out this trip. Had great ones in Makawao on Maui.

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report April 5-12

Got an email from our realtor. The sellers now want to talk again. They are willing to make concessions.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report April 5-12

While I love Kalapaki Joe's, I agree that service there is always REALLY slow. I make sure that I am not starving whenever I go there.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report April 5-12

Good luck 1delphi!!!

Southern California
Level Contributor
14,261 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report April 5-12

Really nice report, 1delphi, good luck with your house.

Can you tell me where is Pacific Island Bistro, do not recall hearing or seeing this place before.

Unfortunately my next trip is not until September, but looking forward to Mexico next month.

Thanks again.

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report April 5-12

Pacific Island Bistro is in the Safeway shopping center in Kapaa. It is a couple of doors to the left of the ABC store and to the right of Safeway.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
543 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report April 5-12

Sounds like you had a great time. Good luck with the real estate purchase! Thanks for sharing.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report April 5-12

Wow - great report. I know you had said you were looking at property on Kauai but I thought you meant "picking up the realtor magazines and daydreaming about it while at work" like we do - but you really are looking at property! Good luck finding your dream home.

"Stopped by Kmart to pick up some malasades from the lady outside. They were nice and hot and had one as soon as we got back to the condo."

I can't believe you could wait until you got back to the condo - is is bad form to stand in front of the cart making inappropriate "mmm"ing noises while inhaling sugary donut goodness? That's what I'll be doing....

"Flight was uneventful with the exception of the crying baby when we took off."

I apologize in advance to anyone on the DEN-HNL United flight on Sept 20 - babies can't help crying on take-off when the air pressure changes in their little ears... we've avoided the fussing so far by giving him a bottle to suck on to help with the pressure.

Thanks for the great report - we're not golfers but might have to take it up just to see one more aspect of Kauai...