We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grove Farm

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Grove Farm

Hello all, I just picked up my airline and car rental docs today and my TA told me to go to Grove Farm. Does anyone know about that and is it worth the trip. She couldn't tell me much about it.

Thanks

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grove Farm

it's a tour of a plantation era home. You get lemonade and cookies at the end. There's not much there beyond an old home some old farming equipment etc IIRC.

If you've got an hour or two in the middle of the day when it's too sunny for the beach it's worth a quick visit. Believe you need to pre-book though (been a long time since I've been).

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,551 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grove Farm

WE did this years ago and enjoyed it very much. It's a little 'time capsule' from the plantation days.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grove Farm

What kind of plantation? Is it sugar? I went to the big island last year and went to a coffee plantation that was run by the historical society. Very interesting. I do like historical cultural things.

Thanks for the replies

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grove Farm

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Grove Farm Homestead Museum is a very special place -it is one of the overlooked treasures for visitors as far as I'm concerned since they don't do much advertising at all. It is located on Nawiliwili Road in Lihu'e - past Borders Books about 1/4 mile on the left side of the road - a small wooden sign simply says "Grove Farm" with a driveway.

It is a plantation owner's home and beautifully preserved - it used to be an 80-acre sugar plantation that belonged to George N. Wilcox (Wilcox Hospital, etc.) and his nieces who built their home there in 1864. It was turned into a museum in 1978 and now presents the sugar plantation era of the Wilcox family. The main house is in pristine conditon with walls and a staircase made of native Koa wood. Also on the grounds are a wash house, tea house, and guest cottage.

It is a real treasure and someplace that I always recommend to visitors when I work at the Kaua'i Museum - if you are interested at all in Kaua'i history, this is a wonderful place to visit.

Tours are available at 10am and 1pm on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday - you need to call ahead to make reservations as space is limited. 245-3202.

For $5.00 admission it is one of the best "values" here on Kaua'i in my opinion.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grove Farm

Thank you Janet, I absolutely will put that on my itinerary. That's the kind of stuff I and DH like to do. AND the price is right for the budget. After all we need to educate ourselves in our newest states history.

Thanks for the description

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grove Farm

It's now $10, but it is well worth it. We did the tour last month (March).

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grove Farm

This is on our list of places to visit! I'm always looking for places to learn about history.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
436 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grove Farm

I just have to figure which day to go so I can make reservations. We are leaving on a Wed on a Red eye flight so that might be a good day to go. It will give us something to do as we have to check out early while waiting for our flight.

I hope this post will give the Grove Farm more advertisement as a budget friendly activity. I'll post a review when I get back

Thanks for the replies

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grove Farm

Guiltygirl - what other kinds of activities do you have lined up? I ask because you said the Grove Farm was the kind of thing you and your husband liked to do - same with me and my husband! I'm just curious what you have planned. We're leaving in about 2 weeks, so I still have some work to do on my itinerary.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grove Farm

There is the Wai'ole Mission House in Hanalei. The phone number is the same as the one for Grove Farm - I found that interesting! I hadn't noticed that before. It is open Tues/Thurs/Sat.

Only problem - perhaps someone can give up-to-date information? - there may be renovations going on at the Mission House right now, keeping it closed. Can anyone confirm?