We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Botanical Garden Question

Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Another Botanical Garden Question

I posted last week about botanical gardens, just inquiring about the "best" - if such a thing is possible.

Here's another botanical garden related question - which garden is the truest to Hawaii, meaning represents the plants native to Hawaii, presented in a more natural like setting? I guess I'm attempting to avoid "over" manicured gardens that are developed exclusively for appearance. I hope I've asked my question clearly - I'm just looking for the most real place (not overly commercial and artificial).

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Botanical Garden Question

Aloha from Kaua'i!

That would be Limahuli Gardens up in Ha'ena - also part of the National Tropical Botanical Gardens.

Here is a website that give you more info on it:

http://www.ntbg.org/gardens/limahuli.php

Malama Pono,

Janet

Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Botanical Garden Question

Janet - I really appreciate all your help. I hope you're working at the Kauai Museum the day we visit!

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Botanical Garden Question

Thanks for the tip... that garden looks amazing, we will try to stop by while we are there!

Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Botanical Garden Question

Here's a followup to my question - are there any of these gardens with a cafe? I ask because we've had very memorable lunches in gardens in different parts of the country. Most of the little cafes are nothing fancy, some just with picnic tables, but they've created some strong memories. For some reason, it's very relaxing eating in a garden setting.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,627 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Botanical Garden Question

Sorry no cafe at the Limahuli (which is a really lovely garden with stunning views of the coast from up on the hill) but somewhat of a short drive to Hanalei where there are numerous restaurants and cafes to choose from.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,349 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Botanical Garden Question

There are a number of benches throughout Limahuli - you could pick up some sandwiches or bento boxes on your way there and dine informally.

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Botanical Garden Question

I also agree about Limahuli Gardens. I have never done the guided tour.

If you choose the self guided tour they give you a wonderful booklet on native plants, the volcanic and native orgins of Hawaii, an archaeolgical site, along with legends. Sitting on the benches compemplating what the area and native lifestyle was once like for me very special experience.

I am sure the tour is wonderful also.

Seattle
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Botanical Garden Question

The definition of a garden is of a manicured piece of land developed for appearance. You're probably looking to see endemic species. Endemic species are just 5% of the species of the island now( at least according to the guide at the Kilohana Plantation tour.

9. Re: Another Botanical Garden Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 16:16