We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why should I go to Art Night in Hanapepe?

North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
350 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Why should I go to Art Night in Hanapepe?

For some reason this idea intrigues me, but I don't really know what to expect. Do artists actually display their wares on the street or do you go inside the stores? Are there any edible treats to try while there? Please tell me what to expect!

Thanks....only 26 more days until we hear the roosters crow!! Can't wait.

-Donna

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,383 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why should I go to Art Night in Hanapepe?

There are usually a couple of vendors on the street, but all the stores are open on Hanapepe Rd. It's just a few short blocks. The buildings are very old with lots of outside lights and places to sit. We never miss going - it's so fun to look at the art, koa wood designs and Ni'ihau Lei. A street musician or two.

I like getting an early dinner at da Imu Hut a couple of blocks up on the Hwy. Great local food. There's a couple of other places to eat on Hanapepe Rd that get good reviews.

Fun way to spend a couple of hours.

3Chihuahuas

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
337 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why should I go to Art Night in Hanapepe?

Do NOT miss Art Night in Hanapepe! My wife and I went in August 08 and loved it! Such a quaint little historic town with great shop owners - especially the little book store on one end of town.

They had a young couple with a tent at the end of the street seeling these amazing burritos or wraps. Another vendor was selling these little herbal juice shots that made you feel a little loopy.

All in all, it's a great experience that no one should miss. You won't regret it.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,383 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why should I go to Art Night in Hanapepe?

<They had a young couple with a tent at the end of the street seeling these amazing burritos or wraps.>>

Thank you!!! I've been asking if they were still around - never got a firm answer. Had their burritos and satay sticks last September. Even got a jar of her homemade salsa. Such good food - made from scratch including the torillas.

September 09 just can't get here fast enough!

3Chihuahuas

Bellefontaine, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Why should I go to Art Night in Hanapepe?

Well I am not as excited as some about "Hanapepe" and Art Night. When we were there, there was no one with art outside, maybe a glass jeweler, you had to go inside various shops. Now if you like to look at Art Paintings then go, there are some wonderful paintings from various artists and "free wine" in some shops....Also the swinging bridge is there. The town is very small maybe a dozen shops. There was a slack key guitar concert, not sure if still there.You must at least go once when you visit Kauai to say you went.

If you enjoy art you may go again. I like Art Paintings, love to look at peoples art just was not impressed with the small strip..

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Why should I go to Art Night in Hanapepe?

If you're not an art night type, Hanapepe probably won't change your opinion - at least for me so far.

I'd also like to extend a most sincere welsome back to Cueball!

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why should I go to Art Night in Hanapepe?

We were there exactly one week ago and the place was hopping. The shops were open, there were a few street vendors selling their wares and some live music.

We had our dinner at Bobbie's. Not exactly white tablecoth but good food.

We really enjoyed ourselves and helped stimulate the economy by buying s few goodies.

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why should I go to Art Night in Hanapepe?

We never miss Art Night. But I really enjoy local art and crafts, along with the music ouside of the bookstore. I always find it quite festive in a very low key way. Two years in row we have bought each other a painting for an anniversity gift. It makes for great memories.

This year we cancelled our reservations at the Hanapepe Cafe to eat the yummy street food.

I am sure it is not for everyone!!!

North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
350 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why should I go to Art Night in Hanapepe?

What street food do they have? Also, where is Bobbie's and what does she serve? I have read some reviews of haupia pie at Yumi's. Is Yumi's in Hanapepe?

California
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Why should I go to Art Night in Hanapepe?

I'd like to know, too. Thanks.

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why should I go to Art Night in Hanapepe?

Sorry i have not been on this site for awhile....On to planning future trips... The best cure for returning. I just read my last post and what i meant about street food were the two venders grilling fish, veggies, and we had the fish burrito at one vender(very fresh and excellent). I believe they were making some other plates, but that may have been the other vender. I did not do any comparing, since the first one smelled so good.

I don't have a clue about the other places that were mentionted.

Also Art night is fun if you enyoy local art along with meeting the artists and are around the area. There is also a terrific old map and print shop that i have to drag my hubby out of, along with a wonderful book store with many old used books...quite a few about Hawaii.