We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How reliable are the cars from Alamo Rent a Car

New Zealand
Level Contributor
712 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
How reliable are the cars from Alamo Rent a Car

We have reserved a car from Alamo Rent a Car and was wondering if anyone else has used Alamo and what sort of service they got from Alamo.

Also is pick up of cars at the airport?

Thanks for your help

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How reliable are the cars from Alamo Rent a Car

I've rented from Alamo a number of times on Kauai, and have never had an issue. Pick up of the rental cars would be at the airport, unless otherwise stated. Some companies have locations at hotels (ie. Avis at the Grand Hyatt). The off airport locations generally have cheaper rates.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,743 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How reliable are the cars from Alamo Rent a Car

They have a desk at the airport but if you have reserved ahead of time (HIGHLY recommended) then just go in back and all the car rental places run little shuttle buses to the lots where the cars are. The cars used to be directly across the street from the terminal, behind the car rental counters, but they had to move to lots farther away after 9/11.

Have used Alamo the last few times with no problems.

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How reliable are the cars from Alamo Rent a Car

Sparkel, I've used Alamo for 7 out of 11 trips. Mechanically, I have had no problem with them. Usually service is more than adequate when at the counter (I hesitate to use the word fast in context of the rental agency).

Some of the cars I have rented had interiors that were a "little" used, ground in dirt and burns in the seat. Not that they weren't cleaned, just that cleaning no longer helps.

My other suggestion is to go over the outside of the car and dutiful mark on their form all dents and dings. Also note that you were unable to view the undercarriage. These latter tips are applicable to all rental car agencies.

Bill

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,240 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How reliable are the cars from Alamo Rent a Car

Alamo cars are fine. The shuttle buses are across from baggage pickup. Have one of you wait for the bags and the other grab the shuttle (it's a pain hauling bags on the shuttle).

The only issue I had with Alamo was the really pushy lady behind the counter...I must have said NO 10 TIMES to all the extra insurance & pre-pay gas option they want to sell you.

3Chihuahuas

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
607 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How reliable are the cars from Alamo Rent a Car

Over 28 years and 75-80 trips to Kauai wherein we have always utilized rental cars, we have secured cars from all the major firms including Alamo, Dollar, National, Budget, Thrifty, Hertz, Avis.... We have seen little difference in the quality of their cars or the level of their service, which has been universally good to excellent. Accordingly, on each trip we simply contract with the firm that offers the best rental rate for our visit particulars. As noted by other responders, long gone are the days when your rental car awaited you in the lot directly across the street from the baggage claim areas. However, the shuttle buses for each agency run very frequently to the off-airport storage facilities that are but a 5 to 10 minute trip away. Should you join the various free "clubs" that each rental car firm have, the shuttle bus will often take you directly to the specific car that has been assigned to you following your advance reservations process. I am usually able to complete the car pick-up and return back to the airport for my wife and our luggage within 20 to 30 minutes.

indiana
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How reliable are the cars from Alamo Rent a Car

I am also renting from Alamo in May and had this question plus another: Some posts are suggesting the hubby get the car while the wife gets the luggage. Does this work if the wife is an additional driver on the car?

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How reliable are the cars from Alamo Rent a Car

shinningstar - no, additonal drivers have to sign some paperwork.

Bill

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How reliable are the cars from Alamo Rent a Car

We've rented from Alamo the last two years and the service at the counter was friendly but not exactly speedy and you get to choose your car. They send you out to the row you reserved (compact) and you get to choose what is there.

The cars are not what I would say pristine but it is hard to keep rental cars that way with sand and red dirt readily available.

I normally go get the car while DH waits for the bags and have never had an issue with him needing to sign as a second driver. You may want to verify with Alamo ahead of time to be sure with your reservation.

As others hasve siad, if oyu exit baggage claim and walk across the street, the shuttles are behind the rental car building. Just hop on and take the 2-3 minute drive to the lot. Two weeks ago, I was the only one on the shuttle because I made a bee line out after landing to beat the crowd!

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How reliable are the cars from Alamo Rent a Car

Just wanting to confirm a detail about Alamo - do you get to choose your car (as long as it's in the correct class)? Meaning, can I walk the lot until I find "my" car?

Also, is Alamo connected with National on the same lot, with same cars? thanks

Thornton, New...
Level Contributor
966 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How reliable are the cars from Alamo Rent a Car

Out of the seven rental cars our group currently has - six were rented from Alamo.

My son had a problem with his car, went to Alamo and had a new one in ten minutes.

Service was fast and efficient for all of us, a very short wait.

Alamo and National are now affiliated, but the actual facilities are still separate.

We wanted the extended four-door Jeep Wranglers. Alamo only had one left, but they brought two over from the National lot - the wait for those was about 15 minutes.

WE were glad we had rented the Jeeps for our drive up to Waimea and out to Ke'e. These can be done in regular cars, but we wanted to access a couple of trailheads that were a bit out of the way, and with the recent rains, there was a great deal of water on the roads.

The four-door jeep is perfect for us - plenty of room for four adult and the roof panels are easy to remove and replace.