We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hukilau Lanai

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Hukilau Lanai

I keep seeing people post that the Hukilau Lanai is inexpensive. I surely didn't see that when we were there a few weeks ago. Did I miss something?

We were in the bar for pupus and drinks and that was not what I would call inexpensive.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hukilau Lanai

seems relatively inexpensive to me.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hukilau Lanai

I guess I woulld call it "reasonably priced for Kauai." We have been there three times and arrived early for the tasting menu, which I really like. We spent about $100 on dinner versus $200 on dinner at Tidepools on the last trip. I liked my food better at Hukilau. So, cheap it is not, but for a good dinner, I don't think you can beat it on Kauai.

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hukilau Lanai

kimocat...that is more like what we saw. We've been to Tidepools once and do not feel the need to go there again. We will hav eto actually eat in the dining room at Hukilau next time.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hukilau Lanai

I would say for us, that the hukilau lanai was a special dinner out.

We really liked it, and the company was marvelous, service was excellent, and food was superb.

I am going to guess that with everything, food, drinks, and probably desert it came to about

$ 50.00 each....does that sound about right for the other posters who have eaten there.

As you two know, we frequent local places, since we just cannot pay that price everytime that we go out someplace. But, we do like to go out to a special dinner once a month.

In fact, I think I hear the beconning of the Nawiliwili Tavern Stimuluous package humming in my ear at this very moment.

Nothing special except $ 5.00 lunches, $ 2.00 beers, or giant maitais for $ 5.00.

Oh, later tonight, even a better deal, the Kauai Athletic Club is having members appreciation night, show your card, and welcome to a free spaghetti dinner, and music by Big John ( you can read about him in your History of Coco Pams book), and prizes and great fun.

I know you all are not members, but we are talking more reasonable venues. Maybe you will join once you move over.....that would be great.

I am off to see some friends, at what once was Donovans Reef Bar. Which, for those who have not seen it, is a very special, feel good movie, filmed here back in 1966...staring the Duke...( John Wayne ).

Hope to see you when you return.

Denny and Erica

California
Level Contributor
36,095 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hukilau Lanai

I've never said it was inexpensive. I think it is mid priced but the best thing about it is if your going to spend a lot to go out to dinner at least we can have a great meal at HL. Last time I was there I think the bill came to $72 for 2 of us. That included dessert. I had lunch at Scotty's the day before and that was $54 for what? A sandwich and beers???? Denny is correct. It's a place you go for a special dinner.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hukilau Lanai

We thought HL was a bit expensive especially when it was converted to Canadian. However, it was also the best meal we ate on the island. The service was great as well.

There were 4 of us. We each had a drink, we shared one appetizer and we all had dessert. The bill was $175.57 US and converted to Canadian it was $227.09.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,429 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hukilau Lanai

Hukilau Lani is "fairly inexpensive" compared with other similar restaurants. You cannot compare it to a lunch spot or fast food restaurant. But if you want a nice dinner, with good food and service, it is lower in price than "similar" restaurants. We have only been there once and we were impressed with the quality of the food and service for the price.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
607 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hukilau Lanai

As of one month ago their food and wine tasting menu, including dessert with many courses and wines was $40 per person plus taxes and tip. In our view this was quite reasonable for the quality of food and wine expertly served in a lovely near-ocean setting. Note that you must be seated between 5-6 PM for this menu choice.

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hukilau Lanai

I've always felt the Hukilau Lanai was about $$$ to $$$$ (out of 5) depending on what you order, but it certainly is worth it. Lots of other places you can spend bigger bucks and get far less quality.

10. Re: Hukilau Lanai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 06:25