We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

With kids - Kauai or Big Island

Tampa, FL
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
With kids - Kauai or Big Island

We are going to Hawaii for the first time next summer for two weeks with kids ages 8 & 11. We are going to stay in Maui for a week and are trying to decide between Kauai and the Big Island for the second week. Oahu seems too busy and we would rather have a more laid back experience. Am looking for suggestions as to which island would be more enjoyable for the kids and specific recommendations of where to stay - preferably a hotel/resort with a nice beach and a kids club.

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: With kids - Kauai or Big Island

Aloha!

KAUAI...more white sand beaches, VERY relaxed, very pretty. Kauai Marriott for the hotel...decent beach and a kids program and a VERY nice pool. Plus, the resort has a NICE central location to view the island.

Bryan Brown

BBrown9825@aol.com

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,283 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: With kids - Kauai or Big Island

Aloha! I would say to go to Kauai w/the kids. They will love it, and since you are going in the summer, I would try to stay on the North shore, as the beaches are wonderful and the water is very calm then. The Princeville is the only real resort on the North shore, I believe, and I am not sure if they have a kid club. But there is so much you can do w/your kids on Kauai. I am taking my kids next summer again - they just loved it. If you want more specifics, many will be happy to reply, in regard to other accommodations, specific activities, beaches and restaurants. Good luck and happy planning! :)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: With kids - Kauai or Big Island

Right, Oahu is too busy. Spending time on both islands, I favor Kauai, especially for kids.

California
Level Contributor
592 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: With kids - Kauai or Big Island

just came back from the big island with a two year old. kauai is probably the better island with kids. much of the big island beaches are rocky or gravel-like. plus, everything is really far apart - which means lots of time driving - no fun with kids.

kauai's beaches are almost all sandy and things aren't so far apart, and almost all of them are easily accessible. many of the big island beaches require either a long drive, access by trail or a 4WD road.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: With kids - Kauai or Big Island

Kauai has lots to see and do, with lots of beach variety and outdoor activities. AND it is small enough to drive all over and not have the kids comatose in the back seat!

With our kids, we do a daily theme of "A Site, A Hike, And a BEach". So we get up and pack a picnic lunch and drinks, go see a site (say, Waimea Canyon) then do a hike in the general area, then go and relax at a different beach every day. They LOVE it!

Redding, California
Level Contributor
454 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: With kids - Kauai or Big Island

Well, not to seem contrary, I would definitely take them to the Big Island. Your kids are not too young to be totally amazed by what they would see visiting the Volcano. Nor are they too young to have to ride for a bit to get there, especially when you can stop at so many beautiful places along the way. Black sand beaches, green sand beaches, many turtles, great snorkeling tours and boat rides--things to do are endless. Frankly, my kids would be bored in Kauaii at those ages. Just my humble opinion :D.

Southern California
Level Contributor
242 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: With kids - Kauai or Big Island

Kauai for sure! And as I said previously in my other post, stay at the Kauai Marriott.....very very family friendly.....beach is nice too.

California
Level Contributor
592 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: With kids - Kauai or Big Island

saying your kids would be bored on one island but not the other is silly. they wouldn't be bored on either. if they're old enough to be wowed by the volcano, they're old enough to be wowed by waimea canyon or a boat ride around the na pali coast.

both islands are spectacular and great for kids. either way you go, you and your kids won't be disappointed.

San Diego
Level Contributor
108 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: With kids - Kauai or Big Island

We've been often with our kids (now ages 8 and 10), and my suggestion would be to forego Maui and do Kauai and the Big Island -- a week on each. That is what we did two weeks ago, and our kids loved both for very different reasons.

Highlights on the Big Island (according to our kids) -- hiking out to the volcano (w-a-y out -- about 2.5 miles each way); kayaking at Kealakekua (awesome spinner dolphins and snorkeling); night snorkel/dive with the manta rays; hiking down to the black sand beach at Waipio (and back up again -- a long mile!), and spending a day at the amazing pools at the Waikaloa Marriott.

Highlights on Kauai -- hiking into Kipu Falls (and rope swings out over the waterfall); Maha ulepu (another great rope swing and awesome hike); snorkeling at Lawai and Tunnels; boogie boarding at Brennecke's; the Na Pali Coast cruise; Kalapaki Beach; boogie boarding with the turtles at Brennecke's Beach.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: With kids - Kauai or Big Island

I love all the islands, but I have to give another plug for the big island here. Where else on earth (at least where else will you be going) can you stand almost next to red hot lava from a volcano? It's an awesome experience, and all the kids I know that have been have loved it. There are also some great resorts and contrary to the comments, some small but great beaches!!