We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free guided hike into Na Pali area May 9

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
739 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Free guided hike into Na Pali area May 9

honoluluadvertiser.com/article/…1001

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free guided hike into Na Pali area May 9

For clarification, according to the article you are starting from the last lookout and go about the Pihea trail. This is not the Kalalau trail.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free guided hike into Na Pali area May 9

The Sierra Club organizes hikes most every weekend to somewhere. Not 100% free IIRC. Believe there's a nominal $5-10 donation.

Their hikes are listed in the Things to Do section of the paper.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free guided hike into Na Pali area May 9

GUess I should have read the link first. This is DNLR led so probably 100% free.

Sounds interesting.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free guided hike into Na Pali area May 9

Hank,

You will be hiking the PIHEA ( Pee-hay) trail from the pu'u o kila lookout. You will have some fabulous views of the kalalau valley.

But, as mentioned, this is not the kalalau trail that leads to the kalalau valley from Ke'e beach area on the north shore.

For this you drive to the west side and up wiamea canyon road , until it ends past the koke'e museum at the pu'u o kila lookout.

Check the hiking section in the Utimate Kauai Guide Book for many of the Koke'e state park other trails on all of the different shores of kauai.

I think you would have a marvelous hike, and learn a lot more than those of us who have not gone with guides...since they will be highly knowledgeable about the plants and trees and other aspects.

In fact I may let erica know , that we could be learning by going along with the BLM, as well.

Mahalo,

Denny

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free guided hike into Na Pali area May 9

Sorry , it is the DLNR, and NOT the the BLM...I will need to beat feat to make it up there by 09:00, after getting off work at the gym.

I still think it would be worthwhile, for our visitors to also go along, and gleen some great info, as well as well as get in a fairly easy 2.5 to 3.0 mile r/t hike.

We would also check on the trail conditions if we have been having rain up there....it can get a bit slippery and muddy....if those are the conditions we will go to plan B.

Denny and Erica

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Free guided hike into Na Pali area May 9

Denny wrote:

>>I still think it would be worthwhile, for our visitors to also go along, and gleen some great info,<<

Unless I read the article wrong I believe the guided tour is for Kauai residents only.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free guided hike into Na Pali area May 9

Well, I missed the "only" part. Since it did not exit, but I did kind of skip on down to the main information. What, when, were, and who.

Just wondering, which of the non residents who read this will be on island and were planning on doing the hike. If you were, my appologies.

We also hike with the Sierra Club, and you do not have to be a kauai resident,or a member. They have guided treks almost every week. They do ask that if you are not a member, to donate $ 5.00.

Visitors are always welcome, and actually are on the hikes.

Mainland members, no charge, any chapter is welcome.

Erica is a member, no fee, I am not, I happily donate.

So , for those of you who are not residents, but come over as visitors, and would like to go on a guided hike..with the Sierra Club , you are weclome. No worries.

It was good that my enthusiasm about the guided hike with the DLNR, saying kauai residents, was noted.

Of course , anyone can walk that trail, at the same time, or whenever they wish...the views and the pihea trail are open to everyone.

And, if the weather is as clear and sunny as it is today...well, there will be fanastic photo ops of the very picturesque kalalau valley.

Regardless, I talked with Erica, and we will be up there on saturday with the requested hiking boots, and water.

Will let you all know how it went. It should be very interesting.

And, HankD, MAHALO for your original post, it is appreciated.

Denny and Erica

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free guided hike into Na Pali area May 9

Good News..

The DLNR hike, contrary to Kailua Mommma's post that it was kauai residents "only " is open to every one !

To Visitors as well as residents. So bring your hiking boots and water.

I just checked with Emma Yuen who is the DLNR rep who was named in the article as the contact.

It just did not seem correct to me, that they would have such a restrictive rule, since other organizations are open, and I was correct.

Emma Yuen said that " Everyone is welcome ".

See you on Sat, May 9th.

Denny

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Free guided hike into Na Pali area May 9

Denny, it wasn't I who said the tour was for Kauai residents---it was the article that was linked in the original post.

I think it's absolutely wonderful that it is open to everyone. Great.

We'll all be looking forward to the blog report I'm sure! Enjoy! ;-D

10. Re: Free guided hike into Na Pali area May 9

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2009, 03:28