We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip for 2010

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
589 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip for 2010

Going to Hawaii is always a big deal for us. We were last there in 2005 for our 25th anniv. Going for our 30th in 2010 around May. Last trip we stayed on East coast and drove all around to the various beaches. We love Kauai! We coupled that with a week in Oahu. Our main interests are hitting different beaches and enjoying nice dinners out. That being said, what part of the island should we stay at this time around. The north had some great beaches but it does put you far away from the other parts of the island. With beaches and dining being our main focus, what part of the island should we shoot for, and any opinions as to what island to go to for the second week.

Thanks, Linda and Tom

California
Level Contributor
36,451 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip for 2010

Linda and Tom,

I am here enjoying the North Shore of Kauai and I cannot stress it enough how gorgeous it is. I just woke up to clear skies, the mountains are glistening and the waters are calm. Yes it does take 2 plus hours to get to the Waimea area from the North Shore, but if you stayed in Poipu it would take you over an hour to get up here where the good snorkeling is. Friends of mine have spent every day at Tunnels this week. The waters are calm. As far as restaurant choices, well by 2010 the St Regis will be open and you will find many more choices there. There's also BarAcuda, Postcards, Hanalei Dolphin, Med' Gourment and Hanalei Gourmet. There's Nanaea at the Westin, Lighthouse Bistro and maybe by next year Bali Hai Restaurant at Hanalei Bay Resort. From Princeville to Kapaa (where I like to go to Hukilua Lanai) it is only 30 minutes. It would take you that long from Poipu. If you stayed on the East side and enjoyed it there then by all means do that again, but if you want to experience true beauty and the tropical island feel, stay on the North Shore in May.

Happy Anniversary.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip for 2010

Your interests sound similar to ours. We been going to Kauai for many years and have favorite beaches, restaurants, shops etc. that are located all over the island. So, last trip (also our 30th anniversary), we stayed in a cottage on Anini Beach, a very quiet, low-key residential area with a wonderful calm beach and easy access to other north shores attractions. The second week, we moved down to Poipu on the south shore where we stayed in a great condo at Kuhio Shores and enjoyed all of our area favorites in this more tourist oriented part of the island. There is plenty to do on Kauai for 2 weeks and you don't have to waste a day of your precious vacation sitting in airports, returning rental cars, etc.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip for 2010

For fine dining, the North Shore is the weakest part of the island. We almost never drive north and head to Poipu when we go out. We'll have to see how the restaurants in St. Regis stack up but the North Shore restaurants get iffy reviews on service on top of high prices even for here from me.

The beaches are great though so you have to trade something off here. And if depends on what you want to do at the beach. Poipu beaches are beautiful as well and Lydgate with 1+ miles of sand to walk is a nice beach to play at with room to get away from others if that's what you want. Kalapaki also. The Marriott there could be a good choice if you want to be central and a number of good restaurants on site/within 5 min walk.

If you are looking for fine dining, Maui has much more to choose from. That would be my second week choice.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,640 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip for 2010

Have you visited Maui? It has the widest choice of lodgings and restaurants outside of Honolulu, beautiful beaches (much better snorkeling than anywhere except Big Island), an imposing volcano (Haleakala), a deeply tropical portion (Hana), cool winds and pines (Kapalua).

Choose West or South Maui. I prefer South for first-time visitors because it's easier to tour the rest of the island from there, and there are excellent beaches all the way from the Kamaole Beach Parks in South Kihei south through Wailea and Makena.

Do you want hotels or condos? Budget?

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip for 2010

Yes, there are more options on Mauai for dinning, better nightlife, more people and there is very good snorkeling (as there is on Kauai in May).

I would not rule out spending one week in the South and one in the North on Kauai. To me staying on both shores feels like visiting two different Islands. But if you are set on seeing 2 Islands IMO Mauai would be a good choice for what you are seeking.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,610 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip for 2010

Maui is far more built-up, crowded and commercial. You won't get anywhere near the atmosphere of Kaua`i. Maui is also the most expensive island to visit.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a trip for 2010

I think if we were going to Kauai in May, I'd try for the North shore area, even Princeville. We always go in the winter, but love heading north on good days.

Maui would be my 2nd choice, too. If your main interest is hanging out at a beach and sightseeing, there's lots of free stuff to do on Maui. If you go there, definately head up Haleakula---doesn't even have to be for sunrise. We liked the south side of the island, too---sort of like a bigger Lihue.

Kauai
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a trip for 2010

This map is easy to use and it shows various places to stay around the island:

www.summitpacificinc.com/kauai_map.html

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
882 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a trip for 2010

If you are splitting up your time between two different islands, be sure and schedule Kauai last. Otherwise you'll just spend that second week wishing you were back in Kauai!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a trip for 2010

It is also our 30th wedding anniversary next May and we have been considering Hawaii (Pearl anniversary + Pearl Harbour link!)

Haven't a clue where to start planning, I had a brochure from United Airlines today which gives me some ideas.

It is a long flight from the UK so we would probably have to do a stop over in each direction. We have already been to San Francisco so perhaps LA and Las Vegas?

If anyone has any tips I would be very grateful. Also, what is the weather like in May and what would be the approximate cost of a two week trip?

Thanks