We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants close to HBR

ek
San Carlos, Ca.
Level Contributor
871 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants close to HBR

What is the closest place to HBR for a simple dinner? and what are your recommendations for a leave the kids home with a pizza and have a low key but memorable nite out for us? Oh and where do we get the pizza, or burritos or something easy for them to cook?

Thanks

California
Level Contributor
36,651 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants close to HBR

Simple dinner suggestions? I would go to Hanalei about an 8 minute drive. For something closer, Westin, Saffrons or CJ's. Really simple would be Fredericos behind CJ's for yummy burritos. At the North Shore Cafe inside the Chevron gas station is a pizza place. For really good pizza there's a place is in Kilaeua.

The sundry shop at HBR rents movies. Go grab a pizza in Princeville, plop them down in front of the VCR and have a nice dinner out.

ek
San Carlos, Ca.
Level Contributor
871 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants close to HBR

sounds just right.

ek

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,703 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants close to HBR

I'm under the impression that Saffron is very, very expensive - like $20 small bowl of chowder expensive. This from another TA'er.

California
Level Contributor
36,651 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants close to HBR

I just got a phone call with my son who is staying at HBR and he went to Saffron's last night, looked at the menu and walked out. He didn't want to pay $24 for a small bowl of fettucine. He said no one was in there and now we know why.

He went to CJ's. He said service was very good. His GF ordered coconut shrimp and it was burned on the outside and raw on the inside. He asked to have it taken back and they did. Second order came out even more burned. They ordered scampi instead and she said it was very good as was his steak. Salad bar was just ok. Prices were high but not like Saffrons.

He did tell me the wait was over half an hour and the bar was buzzing.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants close to HBR

We need for the HAPPY TALK to re-open....we loved that place.

Friendly, and fun, great view, wonderful tropical ambiance, good food and drink,and even entertainment.

That was our favorite north shore place.

When up north we now go to:

Mediteranean Gormet...near tunnels, alwlays fun, and actually is on the beach, with large windows for an ocean view. Easy going, and friendly

Calypso in Hanalei Town....had good drinks and food and service there a few weeks back, also a light and happy atmosphere. Felt great for us.

Hanalei Dolphin..need to get there before , I think 3:00 pm for the lunches, and we liked to sit on the veranda or out at the tables next to the river.

We have eaten there often, and had great experiences, and good service and food. Usually we are fairly hungry after hiking and snorkeling, and order the Bull Burger ( filet mignon ) and a Keoki Beer.

Now these are not big time resort places, with high out of sight costs, but spots that we have had a great fun time, as well as good food and service.

Seems like we prefer happy times along with our meals, and that is just us.

Just FYI...

Denny and Erica

California
Level Contributor
36,651 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants close to HBR

There is no one else on earth that would like to see HTL reopen. The only bright light is at least they have changed the sign from "closed indefinitely" to "opening soon". I will not hold my breath any longer as I don't trust the owners to do as they say.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,551 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants close to HBR

<<what are your recommendations for a leave the kids home with a pizza and have a low key but memorable nite out for us? >>

We really like Mediterrean Gourmet in Haena (about 20 minutes past Hanalei). They have some great nightly entertainment as well. They have belly dancing on Thursdays and hubby went there in March and he enjoyed a classical guitarist. The food is excellent. We also enjoyed BarACuda in Hanalei (tapas) but it's a bit on the expensice side. I also hear the restaurant at the Westin is very nice. Hanalei Dolphin is good, not great (IMO). But for a special night, you might try Mediterrean Gourmet.

California
Level Contributor
36,651 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants close to HBR

I completely agree about Med' Gourmet in Haena but I would not call that close to HBR. We can't wait for a review of the luau they have started. Please, if anyone has gone let us know. I think for the money Med Gourmet has a fabulous menu but if you aren't into garlic stay away. The young chef loves garlic. He told me so!!!!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,551 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants close to HBR

jebett,

We are going to the luau on June 23rd. I'll let you know how it is. We think the classical guitarist plays on Wednesdays but I would check with them to make sure.

Marti

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,551 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants close to HBR

I would agree that Med. Gourmet is not necessarily "close" to HBR. It's 20 minutes past Hanalei so about 30 minutes all together. But if I was looking for a nice place for dinner on the north shore away from kids, I would pick this place. Our plan is to set up our kids in our room at HCR and have a nice dinner in late June. We'll probably get a pizza and set them up with a movie and walkie talkies.