We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Salt Restaurant

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,386 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Red Salt Restaurant

For those of you that have been to Red Salt, how would you compare this restaurant with Plantation Gardens, Tide Pools, Dondero's or The Beach House? I would really like to try it and will probably make this a special dinner out with hubby while we leave the kids back at the rental. I'm hearing great reviews from different sources but I'm trying to get a feel for the ambience. Thanks!

Bellefontaine, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Salt Restaurant

I have never been but I can tell you the name does not leave a good taste in my mouth, first thing that they need to change "the name". Makes me think all my food will be way over "salted"....OR am I missing something :)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,386 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Salt Restaurant

Yes, I think you are missing something. We have several different kinds of gourmet salts in our kitchen including Himialayan Pink Rock Salt, different Sea Salts and Alaea Sea Salt from Hawaii which is red in color. It is actually healthier and tastes much better. Iodized salt tastes horrible and does have that over powering salty taste.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,386 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Salt Restaurant

Well, I made reservations (via Parrish's acitvity desk) for Sunday, June 14th. I'll let you know howit goes!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Salt Restaurant

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I've spoken to two different folks who have eaten there since it has opened - one was a breakfast buffet and the other a dinner - both said that the food was very good and the view was lovely.

I've only seen it from outside the restaurant - I have looked at their menu - probably comparable in price to "Plantation Gardens", maybe a little less than "Beach House" - I didn't care for the look of it during the day - white, white, and more white - very sterile looking - but I'm sure in the evening with candles and the ocean view - it would be really lovely.

If I had a choice of the 3 places myself - I think I would choose "Plantation Gardens" though - just less high maka-maka feeling and I love the ambiance of the old plantation building - the view of the gardens is lovely as well - altho' I do realize that most visitors would probably prefer an ocean view.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,386 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red Salt Restaurant

Janet,

We are definitely going to have dinner at Plantation Gardens during our two week stay. It is still our favorite restaurant on the island. We are going to skip our usual trip to Dondero's. Hubby was very disappointed with the small servings (and he is not a big eater). We are also looking for a different experience than Roy's or Tide Pools; we have not had much luck with The Beach House in recent years. I did notice the ultra contemporary decor of Red Salt on the website which is not my taste. But we thought a nice dinner out without the kids would be nice for a change. Just trying to get a feel for what to expect with comparision to the places we are familiar with.

Marti

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Red Salt Restaurant

Can't wait to hear the review from Marti. We always love new places to eat.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
429 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Red Salt Restaurant

What is the web address for the Red Salt Restaurant?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,386 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Red Salt Restaurant

Not much information but they talk about the restaurant at the hotel website:

www.koakea.com

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
429 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Red Salt Restaurant

Thanks for the info. Looks a little too foo-foo for us! I think we'll stick to the Plantation Gardens!

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Red Salt Restaurant

When we walked into the resort (Koa Kea) two weeks ago it was virtually empty at 8pm (2 tables in use) so I wonder if reservations are necessary (maybe at 6pm?). They told me that we could come over at any time for a meal. The bar was also completely empty. We were going to order pupus but it was so empty and stark I just couldn't make myself confortable. The prices looked typical upscale Kauai but with a very limited menu. I did ask what the cost of the breakfast buffet was...$25/per person. Not really a buffet in that other than the fruit and pastries everything is custom ordered through the wait staff. Very European. The pool is nice but not very tropical. Looks like a typical hotel pool with some fake rock in one or two places along the edge. It is very...stark is the only way I can describe it.

Everyone there was incredibly friendly and invited us back to view the rooms (during the day). We never made it back to look. I'm sure it is lovely but not really our style.