We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Kauai-trip review

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just back from Kauai-trip review

Had an awesome time! Rented a car with Alamo. They asked if we wanted to pre-pay for gas and then you don't need to return the car full. We thought it sounded like a good idea- but you end up giving them the amount of gas that is in the tank when you return it. Went to Kauai Cost Resort in Kapaa. LOVED it. BEAUTIFUL grounds and rooms. We had a one bedroom oceanfront- about 100 feet from the ocean. The best thing is that both the bedroom and living room face the ocean-one lanai-two sliding doors. We slept with the doors open every night and listened to the sound of the waves. Restaurant-Hikalu Lani was great- torch light every night. We had 3 beached monk seals right in front of our building during the week!

Day one- we went to the north shore- the lKilawea Light house, Kalihiwai Beach Anini beach, Secret beach Hanalei- had lunch at Zelos- very good. Hideaways and Queen's bath- was beautiful but could not go in because the tides waves were to strong. Lumahai beach and Kee beach.

Day two-Went to the East Coast waterfalls-Opaeka'a and Wailue. Went to Kipu Falls and jumped in over the 30' falls and off the rope swing. Had a late lunch at Olympic Cafe. Spent the afternoon at Lydgate Beach. Shopped at the Coconut Market Place and had a late dinner at Tidepools at the Hyatt.

Day 3: Got up early for our helicopter ride leaving from the Princeville airport with Heli USA. Very happy with the company and the pilot. It had rained 5 inches the night before. The skies were gray and night great for photos but WOW- did we see waterfalls!!! We spent the afternoon at the resort.

Day 4- THe south shore Beaches and Waimea Canyon. A must see is Manalupe beach. It is at the end of the road past the Hyatt. BEAUTIFUL. We went to sprouting Horn. Had Shave Ice at Jo Jo's. VERY GOOD. Went on the hike to Waipoo falls. Had dinner at Coconuts in Kapaa.

Day 5: Got up early to be at Port Allen for a rafting tour that left at 7:30 AM. Because of the high winds and tide we were told there would be no beach landing, snorkeling or sea caves. That left a very bumpy ride in a raft on a rainy day. We turned it down and went back to the resort and slept a few more hours. We tried to find sun on the south shore but no luck. Stopped in a Hilo Hatties on way back to resort. Went to a movie at the coconut market place. Took a hot tub after dinner.

Day6: Sunny day! Had the hotel concierge schedule a sunset sail w/ Blue Dolfin on a catamaran. It left from Port Allen at 2:30. We went to Salt Pond Beach and spent the morning and early afternoon there. The catamaran trip was excellent. THe crew was great, the food was delicious and the views and sunset were beautiful.

Day 7: Walked the beach in front of the resort about a 1/2 mile or so and back. Laid in the hammock together for awhile. Went across to the market place for final shopping and lunch before leaving for the airport.

If you have any questions let me know. You will love Kauai. So much to see and do. Very relaxing too. And BEAUTIFUL.

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Kauai-trip review

Thanks for the trip report--lots of good ideas there for our next visit--we're glad you had a good time!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
15 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Kauai-trip review

Great review thanks!

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Kauai-trip review

Great report, I can hardly wait for my trip. You mentioned several good/great places you ate at, but didn't comment on a few. Tidepools? Coconuts? Just curious, I've read reviews that were both good & bad on both of these.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Kauai-trip review

Tidepools: Hard to find in the large resort. It is downstairs and to the right. Not to be mistaken with the restaurant on the left. I was a little disappointed with the location of the table-it was an interior table, not on the edge with the fish. We had called late and they only had an 8:30 reservation left. I wish I would have booked in the day light so I could have enjoyed the location of being on pool with all the fish. The atmosphere was still quite romantic. The food was excellent. My husband had a seafood mixed plate-$35.00. I had Fillet Mignon-$35.00.

Coconuts-Everything was made from cocnuts-tables, chairs, ceiling. More casual but still nice. Food was very good and prices more moderate. Wanted to get to Scotty's beachside BBQ but never did. In Kapaa. All tables are tiered so everyone has an oceanview. Owners wrote Kauai Revealed.