We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poipu Kapili or Whaler's Cove?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Poipu Kapili or Whaler's Cove?

Thinking of going to Kauai in the next few months-two teenagers and my husband and myself. We usually stay at hotels, but was thinking of trying a condo this time so we'd have more space. Would you pick the Poipu Kapili or Whaler's Cove? They both look very nice.

Thanks for your help!

California
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poipu Kapili or Whaler's Cove?

Both are excellent choices. PK is across the street from the water and WC is right on the water. Read the reviews as I have read the units vary quite a bit. Both condos are large with a nice pool. I think the choice would come down to which units are available as the most popular ones are probably booked for the summer.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,167 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poipu Kapili or Whaler's Cove?

Boy..Flip a coin... Each are upscale condo waterfront properties. Some units in Poipu Kapili have added A/C if that is a concern for you. Whaler's ..I'm not sure. Most do not have A/C. Their location/views are quite similar. Depending on individual unit decor and pricing..up to you!

You will have an amazing time whichever you choose.

Congratulations on the conversion from Hotel to Condo...you won't look back!

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poipu Kapili or Whaler's Cove?

If price is not an issue, I would probably go for a Whalers' Cove unit. I have walked the road a lot in front of Poipu Kapili and the ocean front lanais there are right at ground level with folks walking past and cars on the the road. I remember seeing one woman sitting there enjoying her morning cofee in her housecoat. I thought it was not private enough for me. At Whalers' Cove, there is no one between you and the ocean -- quite a bit more private.

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poipu Kapili or Whaler's Cove?

I have never stayed at Whaler's Cove so can't comment on the condo's.

We have stayed at Poipu Kapili when our kids were teenagers. I liked the location since it was a very short walk to the beach. You may have to drive the kids from Whaler's Cove. (that may or may not be a concern for you)

We also really love the townhouse layout of Poipu Kapili with 2 bedrooms upstairs and two baths separating them. I would only stay oceanfront at the Poipu Kapili. The master bedroom has a killer ocean view as does the living area. I never really felt a lack of privacy, but the road is in front. Also some of the units have a side lanai along with the front lanai. We were on the go a lot and relaxed by the pool when at the resort.

Since the condo's in both are privatly owned it may come down to what you can get.

Good Luck!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poipu Kapili or Whaler's Cove?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Personally I would choose Whaler's Cove in a heartbeat - I love the secluded location on the end of a little cul-de-sac - perched directly above the crashing waves below (with a knock-em-dead pool right above) - top of the line interiors and well away from Koloa Landing Development (I'm sure some units close to the ocean aren't affected by noise, but I'd be concerned about the ones that are close to the construction).

You can easily walk to Baby's Beach down the street, as well as Lawa'i Beach - it is just a lovely, quiet area.

My personal opinion only.

Malama Pono,

Janet

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
607 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poipu Kapili or Whaler's Cove?

I would also vote for Whalers' Cove because it is right at the ocean's edge, excellent pool location also at the ocean cliffside, considerable privacy versus Poipu Kapili. Both vastly better than a standard hotel room....

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Poipu Kapili or Whaler's Cove?

<<Thinking of going to Kauai in the next few months-two teenagers and my husband and myself>>

Well I think I will swing the other way and vote for Poipu Kapili, only because I have heard the Whalers Cove is for more "mature" persons. I think the teenagers would have more fun near the Sheraton.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,500 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poipu Kapili or Whaler's Cove?

Whaler's Cove is a great location with truly ocean front units. Poipu Kapili is across the road and I personally do not like that location. If your teenagers want to walk over to the Sheraton, they can do this easily from either location. Whaler's is just a bit farther but not by much. We make the walk from Baby's Beach to the Sheraton quite often. They can also walk over to Lawai Beach or Baby's Beach easily from WC. Lawai is known for good snorkeling (except this week with the large surf on the south shore). Also, for you and your hubby, I think you would love the ocean front location with no traffic in front. I'm considering WC myself for our trip next June.

California
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Poipu Kapili or Whaler's Cove?

Poipu Kapili gets rave reviews as does WC so as discussed before it will depend on what's available.

To put a crimp in the planning, have you looked into staying The Marriott or Kihuna Plantation?

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60625-d87371-R…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60625-d87379-R…

I also see this add for 50% off WC. I have never been in this unit but have been in many WC condos.

Up to 50% off last minute specials 2 bed /2 bath oceanfront Whalers Cove

View photos at:

summitpacificinc.com/whalers-cove-222.html

Oceanfront 2 bed / 2 bath

Infinity Oceanfront Pool

Hot tub

Large lanai

Great Views

Wifi

Beach Gear

Special 2009 Pricing for all dates - please inquire for best rates:

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Poipu Kapili or Whaler's Cove?

Poipu Kapili would get the nod from me for YOUR situation. I give it the edge because it is just a 5-minute walk from one of the best swimming beaches on the island. You're also walking distance to shops and restaurants at the Sheraton , Plantaton Gardens Restaurant, and the shops at the shopping village across the street.

While Whaler's Cove is ideal for privacy and an adult environment, I would recommend PK for your situation. The teens can get out and walk around a bit by themselves and give you some peace and quiet if you need it. I've stayed in both an oceanfront 2-level 2-bedroom and a 1-bedroom tucked further back into the property. Traffic on the small road right in front of the unit didn't bother me at all. It's not really that heavily trafficked, compared to what we mainlanders think of as 'traffic'. Yes, an occasional person walking or jogging by but again, didn't bother me again. They didn't stare at us, we didn't stare back! Everyone is doing their own thing. Plus, we had a short hedge between us and the road.