We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is an Itinerary Necessary?

Oregon
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is an Itinerary Necessary?

I've noticed over the past year that many people plan out their days for their vacation, sometimes hour by hour. I know it depends on the person(s) involved and the extent of planning they require and expeditions they've booked, but so far I haven't made any sort of detailed plan of places to visit on Kauai in our 2 week visit in mid-July.

Is it a mistake not to have anything written down and mapped out for day-by-day plans? I'm taking two guidebooks, printed info I've found at Tripadvisor, and will have my laptop at the condo to consult; however, I don't want to plan everything too rigidly because so far I've been the major player in finding airfare and the condo, renting the car, and obsessing about the trip (in a good way) by reading this forum. I'm pooped! I can't wait to just get there and relax!!! LOL

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is an Itinerary Necessary?

Suspect you know the answer already. It's just a matter of preference.

Having a list of things you'd like to do is probably enough as long as you can stand the idea of having so much fun just living in the moment that it's possible you might skip something on the list.

Some of those itinerary leave me tired just reading them.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is an Itinerary Necessary?

Yes, I think that it is wise to have a plan, even if it is a loose one. You are staying in mid-July ... so things like Na Pali boat cruises or helicopter rides should be booked in advance. Also some restaurants.

I agree, some of the minute-by-minute itineraries we see make me crazy ... but having a general plan is a good idea. It cuts down on the "Whadda we do now?" "I dunno, what to you want to do?"

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,440 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is an Itinerary Necessary?

The only advance plans you really need to make are for things like Na Pali Boat Tours and Zipline that tend to book far in advance. This last trip we didn't book anything ahead of time. We scheduled our helicopter tour after we arrived once we had a better idea of what the weather would be like.

As others have said, it's a matter of personal preference, but the main reason we come to Kauai is to relax. I get worn out just reading soome of these intineraries and I can't imagine actually trying to fulfill them. Your approach is like ours - just do what you feel like each day. Be flexible. Some days we just pack a picnic lunch and our snorkel gear and get in the car and just see what works that day. Ocean conditions and weather can change rapidly so it seems a bit foolish to me to plan each day so rigidly.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is an Itinerary Necessary?

I'm one of those anal people that plan things down to the minute - then when we get there we glance at the itinerary once in a while and use it as a reference point ! haha !!! Planning for me helps widdle away the hours before we get there ! I like to have it because it reminds me of which restaurants we may want to try on the side of the island we are that day. It also reminds me what day our excursions are so that we don't miss out on things we want to do and have to work into the vacation depending on our excursion time frames. I in no way keep to it for certain - if I have a restaurant on there for the North shore but end up leaving earlier then dinner time - Oh well - it goes back on the list for next time ! But I don't have a laptop and I don't want to be somewhere thinking - where did they say the best snorkeling on this side of the island was ???? I got it all written down in a book for reference. I've only got 17 days to go - so the planning stage is done and the pre-pack and re-pack dance begins ! haha !!!!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,943 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is an Itinerary Necessary?

We are here for two weeks and there are some new things we want to try. So I wrote down a rough itinerary with lots of wiggle room. I also made dinner reservations at the places I knew we wanted to try. And we reserved a Zipline tour. So my itinerary may have one or two things on each day like the day time activity (beach, golf, zipline, Waimea, relax, etc.) and then what we want to do for dinner (Plantation Gardens, luau, sunset barbecue at Polihale, dinner at the rental, etc.) Hubby is working again today so we might hit the beach or the bird talk show at the Hyatt. Not sure yet...

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,943 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is an Itinerary Necessary?

Another reason to make a rough itinerary. I tried to make reservations at the Hukilau Lanai for next Monday. They are closed on Mondays so we'll have to make a few adjustments if we still want to have dinner there.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,574 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is an Itinerary Necessary?

Short answer: NO

Longer answer: 24 hour planned out itineraries just not necessary. A list of things you think you'd like to hit is a great idea though. Unless it's something you should might need a reservation for (boat tour, etc), just go with the flow and fit in your 'to-do's' as you go along.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,506 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is an Itinerary Necessary?

For our first few trips here I went through several guidebooks and did a table of things to see, hours, fees, recommendations, etc. (Hadn't discovered TA yet.)

I grouped them by location and bold-faced the must-sees. Then we sort of followed the itinerary. Back then you didn't have to book things way in advance, though.

After about 3 trips we spent a lot more time snorkeling, beach-walking or just hanging out on a beach with books.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is an Itinerary Necessary?

I think a lot of first timers plan down to the hour because they don't want to "miss" anything -- particularly if they are going to be there a week or less. When you have longer it is not so important. As the others said, you might at least try to figure out what restaurants you want to hit and coordinate that with your driving around the island. Make sure you can get in popular reswtaurants, like the Beachhouse at sundown, etc. or paid activities. Then relax.

Bellefontaine, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is an Itinerary Necessary?

CLKL,

I think you probably have taken a look at the many things that Kauai has to offer with your guidebooks.

I am sure you have in your mind some things you want to do. You are going to be there for 2 weeks. If doing the more expensive things are in your mind, you may want o go a head and book early.

If you are like my husband and I we just drive,take the guidebooks with us and make stops along the way.

Just relax and let the mornings make your day!!!