We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is an Itinerary Necessary?

Oregon
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is an Itinerary Necessary?

I've noticed over the past year that many people plan out their days for their vacation, sometimes hour by hour. I know it depends on the person(s) involved and the extent of planning they require and expeditions they've booked, but so far I haven't made any sort of detailed plan of places to visit on Kauai in our 2 week visit in mid-July.

Is it a mistake not to have anything written down and mapped out for day-by-day plans? I'm taking two guidebooks, printed info I've found at Tripadvisor, and will have my laptop at the condo to consult; however, I don't want to plan everything too rigidly because so far I've been the major player in finding airfare and the condo, renting the car, and obsessing about the trip (in a good way) by reading this forum. I'm pooped! I can't wait to just get there and relax!!! LOL

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Is an Itinerary Necessary?

Thanks vrjenia!

I sound relaxed? Good - I'm printing your post out to show my bf, haha. :) The post-its are my attempt at breaking away from the overplanning. Like your husband, my better half tends to panic when he sees my list of the things we "have" to do on vacation.

CLKL, I'm jealous of your two weeks (compared to my one week) in Kauai! I don't think you're making a mistake by not having a stringent itinerary...two weeks should give you plenty of time to have some days that are "scheduled" and some that are laid back and lazy - enjoy!

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Is an Itinerary Necessary?

Coalminer-

your itinerary looks like mine. Actually the only thing we have definately schedule is arrival and departure. No big activities this time (unless its free) I was in your neck of the woods last summer! We had a blast, but was packed with scheduled activities and long days! Kauai is so opposite!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,831 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Is an Itinerary Necessary?

muffya - I know what you mean! I don't think I could vacation in Alaska . . . I really don't like planned itineraries, and you really have to do that up here or you won't get a chance to do anything. We go camping every summer, but plan nothing. Glad you had a good time - it is really beautiful right now. :)

I think that is also why I treasure my vacations I have had in Kauai - I think they have been the most relaxing vacations I have ever had!! :)

Canada
Level Contributor
9,346 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Is an Itinerary Necessary?

What's the secret to a long and successful Marriage???

Spontaneity!

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
277 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Is an Itinerary Necessary?

We make a list of things we'd like to do/see that happen only at specific dates and times. In our case, these are Farmers' Markets and Concerts. We go to some of those, but otherwise we just Hang Loose. Have fun!

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Is an Itinerary Necessary?

aloha clkl :)

I am a planner. But I've learned over the years and trips that what I miss this time, I will pick it up next time. That being said . . .

I book in advance things I definitely want to do that require reservations. I have a basic plan in mind, like north shore day, east coast day, and I read up on everything that appeals to me in those locations and then head out. If I know what's available, I don't waste ANY precious time while on the island trying to figure out what I want to do next.

Another thing I do is study the maps so that when I arrive, I have a pretty good idea in my head of where things are and I rarely get lost. If I do get lost, it's an adventure. Do your homework ahead of time to ease the newcomer's panic at being in a new location. Besides, who wants to look like a dork tourist? Knowledge is power. Best to try to blend in, I always say :)

Happy planning!

jc

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,890 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Is an Itinerary Necessary?

this is our 4th trip and I am making less plans. I know what I want to do. I have all my guide books. I find myself slowly getting excited, the long planned trip is approaching. not yet, still working so my excitement has to wait. I do not think it is a mistake not to write down plans... you have a car, laptop, cell phone, and bathing suit. books,what else do you need... money... it's paradise.... you have a condo... I love Kauai so just being there is enough for me.

Fort Huachuca
7 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Is an Itinerary Necessary?

I agree that it's a very good idea to have a list of activities you would like to do during your trip, but don't overbook your vacation. I notice that some people plan so much to do that they don't have time to relax and really savor the laid-back lifestyle of the island.

Oregon
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Is an Itinerary Necessary?

I really appreciate reading all the comments/suggestions/info from all. After a quick trip to the Chicago area for a wedding this weekend, I'm SO looking forward to this upcoming island vacation. And yes, though my DH doesn't care to plan (he doesn't even want to waste time shopping for anything), it sounds like an informal list is a good thing to do. Mahalo!

30. Re: Is an Itinerary Necessary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2009, 05:16