We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will rain ruin my vacation?

Orange Counth
6 posts
Save Topic
Will rain ruin my vacation?

I will arriving at poipu tomorrow June 24th; however, weather.com says it will be cloudy and raining for the most part of my vacation, I never been to Kauai, will the weather ruin the fun? Or is weather.com exaggerating?Thanks

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,458 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will rain ruin my vacation?

ah . . . well because it might sprinkle somewhere on the island at some point during the day, the weather.com lists rain. Most rain occurs on the northshore and usually only as a brief passing shower. I highly doubt your vacation would be ruined but it is best to ignore weather.com. Have a great vacation! :)

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will rain ruin my vacation?

Do NOT use weather.com for Hawai'i weather. It is not accurate. The National Weather Service gives the best forecasts, here is a link to the Poipu page:

forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php…

The forecast looks fine. Partly cloudy with only about a 30% chance of rain most days. Sounds great!

Joseph, Oregon
Level Contributor
450 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will rain ruin my vacation?

Some of my best memories from our recent trip to Kauai are getting caught in a passing warm rain shower during our morning walks. No rain, no rainbows as they say. If it is raining somewhere on the island it is almost always sunny somewhere nearby. The weather forecasts for Kauai almost always include clouds and rain. Unless your trip will be ruined if you see rain at all, you'll be just fine.

California
Level Contributor
35,821 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will rain ruin my vacation?

30% (to me) means a very quick passing shower somewhere near Lihue. When it says 50% or 70% that is a good rain for maybe 1 hour or longer somewhere closeby.

I remember reading the weather sites before my May trip and every day it said rain in Princeville. Out of 10 days on the island it rained pretty hard the very last day (all over Kauai) and that was the only day it said over 80%. The days before it said 50% and not one drop. Maybe on the mountain it rained.

During the summers you will be happy to feel some light rain anyway.

I bet you'll have sunny skies with an occasional rainbow. Lucky you. Have a great time.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,323 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will rain ruin my vacation?

www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/kauai.php…

Not to worry. Your question is a common one. I like weather.com for their averages, but their day-to-day info isn't good. Sure, you can bet that somewhere on Kauai it will be raining. The rainest place on earth is on Kauai. But the beaches are usually dry, warm (to very warm) and a passing shower is not uncommon (look for rainbows).

Not to worry.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
373 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Will rain ruin my vacation?

Yes, its completely ruined. Now send your plane tickets and hotel room to me. I will suffer for you and brave this so called rain you speak of.

Orange Counth
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Will rain ruin my vacation?

Thanks for your helpful feedback. It truly makes a difference to get such a positive feedback from this forum. Have a great summer...

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
90 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will rain ruin my vacation?

Thanks for asking this question! I was thinking the same thing...I am leaving on Sunday and weather.com projects mostly rain the entire time I am on the island...thanks for the links to the other weather sites! Can't wait!!

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
727 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Will rain ruin my vacation?

Whatever any weatherman says, you can look at this, and see for yourself what the weather is doing in Hanalei, Kapaa, Lihue, and Puhi:

www.hawaiistreaming.com/affil/index.cfm…

When it is raining, you can see reflections of objects across the street, in the wet roads.

Hank

California
Level Contributor
35,821 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will rain ruin my vacation?

I look at these pictures almost every day, Hank. Looks like a gorgeous day on Kauai.