We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shade Trees

Michigan
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Shade Trees

Hello. My wife and I, two very fair skinned people, are looking for nice beaches that we can hang out at with plenty of places to sit on the beach, but still be in the shade. Thank you.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shade Trees

Most of the beaches I have been to have lots of shade available. You will need a very strong sunscreen..some people say 70 or so. I am very fair skinned also and as long as you are careful you will be fine. Just remember the sun is very strong in Hawaii even in the shade. Have fun you will love it!

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Shade Trees

Personally one of favorite spots is between the Sheraton and Kiahuna Plantation - Palm Trees to sit under. Poipu Beach also has alot of trees. Another more secluded beach is at Mahaulepu beach. Of course these are on the South side

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shade Trees

I like Anini Beach near the end of the road -- lots of pine trees right in the sand -- you can have your toes in the water and still be shaded.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shade Trees

I'm about as fair as you can get - and then some! My two favorite beaches for terrific shade on the sand are Anini and Kalihiwai. Particularly Kalihiwai! Gorgeous. At Salt Ponds, you can sit very near the sand and be shaded, too. My favorites.

We love the beach at Kiahuna - spend most of our time there, but there is no shade on the sand after mid-morning. There is a fabulous lawn with palm trees right behind the walkway, tho. A beautiful place to spend time.

I've never had a burn on Kauai yet, so taking good, practical precautions with sun screen works!! My DD and DS are dark like their dad and get burns - but they refuse to be careful.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,812 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shade Trees

mezzsop, you and I love the same beaches! Kalihiwai is my very favorite! The ironwood trees are a little back from the water, but still do-able. Park your car under them. Picnic tables too.

Make sure you look up before sitting under a palm tree. Especially at Salt Pond, falling coconuts!

3Chihuahuas

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,705 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shade Trees

We like Anini and Ke`e.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shade Trees

You have to hike to get there, but both Hideaways and Selodge Beach have those wonderful false kamani trees, which IMO are a lot better than the pines - no needles. We like to hang out for most of the day at either of those beaches because of the great shade. Don't ever have to worry about gettting burned.

California
Level Contributor
36,656 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shade Trees

Anini is one of my favorite shady areas. I go down towards the very end too. I also like it because I can park my car right in front of where I'm sitting.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,705 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shade Trees

I don't trust those "pines." (They're actually casuarina with leaves, not needles. Weird, ya?) I don't like all the litter under me, and the seeds are sharp. Even with the false kamanis you should clear the leaves off where you want to sit; centipedes like leaf litter. DH had a closer encounter than he cared to.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shade Trees

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yes, those ironwood trees (pine trees) were planted in many spots all around the island as a wind break, but they also have little pine cones that are really "poky" if you step on them and the needles aren't a great deal of fun either as mentioned!

And then of course if you are sitting under a coconut palm - look up and be sure there aren't any large coconuts hanging off - those can be deadly! I almost got hit with a falling coconut frond the other day - and let me tell you - those things are heavy as well! Good thing I jumped fast!

Most County Parks have shade trees of some type- County Parks also regularly maintain their coconut trees so there is no danger from falling nuts - I have to also add this - if you are hanging out at a beach with "no facilities" if you know what I mean - I'd stay away from the areas right behind the beach with trees or bushes for somewhat obvious reasons - nasty!!

Malama Pono,

Janet