We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling with kids

Ohio
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling with kids

Can you rent those boards with the windows in them for snorkeling? If not, I've read you can buy them at Walmart and such. Are they very expensive?

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling with kids

A good while ago, we used inflatable ones, for our grand-children, on Oahu. They were probably around $5.

I would look at K-Mart and Wal-Mart.

Hank

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,429 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling with kids

Leslie,

We rented one at the little shop next to Outfitters in Poipu. Maybe "koloagirl" can tell us the name because I can not think of it. Normally, we would leave stuff like behind in our rental for the next family to enjoy but we could not find one at Wal-Mart when we went to pick up beach stuff on our first day.

You might want to check into your rental and see what they have first. Then call Wal-Mart or K-Mart and see if they have them or not. Otherwise, you can rent one for $4.00/day. Snorkel Bob's probably has them as well.

Marti

wdl
Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
232 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling with kids

Last year I bought a inflatable sea window raft online from isnorkel.com. My son, 5-year by then, loved it. I think it was something like $20 plus shipping. And because it's inflatable, it won't take much of your luggage space.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling with kids

Snorkel Bob's does rent them for $26 a week

http://snorkelbob.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/sbservices_flotation.html?L+scstore+vmtl5949ffdacada+1248685551

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,429 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling with kids

<<Snorkel Bob's does rent them for $26 a week>>

The place next to Outfitters (called Sea Sports Divers) in Poipu was $25/week.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling with kids

<<The place next to Outfitters (called Sea Sports Divers) in Poipu was $25/week>>

Wow a whole $1.00 LOL -- we have had very good quality things from Snorkel Bob's was one reason I was recommending them :)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,429 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling with kids

Just giving the folks options. I used the place next to Outfitters since we were renting a bike there anyway. No need to make a special trip if the price is pratically the same.

Ohio
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling with kids

I went to Snorkel Bob's website, and I see something called a Looky Board that you can purchase for $120. Is this what they rent? I'm trying to figure out what the "skirt" is that is retractable. Do you have to pull that up to see down in the water?

alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling with kids

We bought one for our son this past March at Walmart. I don't remember exactly how much we paid, but it was around $25-$30. Well worth it, since he was too nervous to stick his head under the water, and there is so much to see!

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling with kids

Anyone know if someone on the North Shore rents them and for how much? Thanks!

--CeciMami