We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying up late at the car rental counter

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Staying up late at the car rental counter

I'm flying on AA from LAX directly into Lihue. Our flight doesn't arrive until 9:20PM (assuming they're on time) and the car rental (AVIS) closes @ 9:30. I called AVIS and they said, "don't worry" they'll know a late flight is coming in and they wait for you. It looks like this flight is scheduled for the same time everyday at the same time. Has anyone caught that flight and had any issues with car rentals? It been a while since I've been to Lihue, how far away is the counter, I think it was right there in the terminal, but not sure?

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying up late at the car rental counter

We use that flight every time we go. We book with Budget and they always wait for us. I assume the other rental places do, too. When you book your car, let them know you're on that flight. They do ask that one person stay and wait for luggage while another person goes and gets the car. The shuttles are caught right across the street from luggage claim (in the parking lot). The rental places are just a couple minutes shuttle ride away.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying up late at the car rental counter

If you have given Avis your airline and flight number, they will send the shuttle around in time to pick you up after your flight arrives, even if your flight is late. Even if you don't give them that information, they certainly have other car rental customers on the same flight. They would be crazy to close up shop early on nights when those late flights come in. Avis has a very good reputation for staying for that last flight. (As does Budget - owned by the same company.)

The Avis counter is right across from the Baggage Claim area. However after 9PM, that staff in that little booth often go home, putting a sign in the window indicating that renters should go behind the rental counter booth to wait for the Avis courtesy shuttle. You never have to wait long - the bus comes and takes you to the big Avis Rental Office and Car Lot that is on Airport property.

Don't worry - if you have given them your approximate arrival time and flight information, your rental experience should be a smooth one. Have fun!