We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luau

RI
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Luau

Do I need to make a reservation for a Luau in Kauai? We are going in September.

California
Level Contributor
39,638 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luau

Probably a good idea and you can always change it within the cancelation policy. Smith's is pretty large so booking a few weeks out you should be fine. If you are thinking about the one on the North Shore, it is smaller and therefore you might need to reserve a month out. Sept isn't as crowded as July, but it is still pretty busy.

RI
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Luau

Which one would you recommend?

California
Level Contributor
39,638 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luau

Where are you staying?

Smith's is very popular and the Smith family go back many generations on the island. It is in the Wailua area on the East side of the island. The one at Mediterranean Grill in Haena is a small production but the food is good according to another DE for Kauai. Hanalei Bay Resort will start up a luau in August but until someone has reviewed it I can't help you there.

I'm going the middle of Sept and can review it then.

smithskauai.com/

Some people recommend just doing the show part of Smith's and having a nice dinner somewhere closeby like Hukilau Lanai.

Mentioned in this post
Wailua
Wailua
Kauai, HI
Haena
Haena
Kauai, HI
RI
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Luau

We're staying at the Aston Beach in Wailua.

Mentioned in this post
Wailua
Wailua
Kauai, HI
KauaiBeachLover
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luau

Take a trip up to the North Shore in Haena. The Mediterranean Gourmet at the Hanalei Colony Resort has a fantastic luau! The food is right up in their award winning quality and the Mai Tai's are KILLER!

Mentioned in this post
Haena
Haena
Kauai, HI
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,120 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luau

We have loved the Smith's luau. As far as reservations go, I think it would depend on how long you are in Kauai. If you have a week or more, you could wait until you get there, see what day works best for you. But if you are there less than a week and you don't want to miss, I would book that online before you get to Kauai. Have fun! :)

California
Level Contributor
39,638 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luau

<<the Mai Tai's are KILLER!>>

Long, winding drive back to Wailua so make sure one person doesn't have those killer mai tais (and yes they are realllllly good), but I would say do Smith's since you are right there. There are differences between the one in Haena and Smith's. Do have dinner at Med't Gourmet though. It's very good.

Mentioned in this post
Wailua
Wailua
Kauai, HI
Haena
Haena
Kauai, HI
RI
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Luau

Thanks...I was wondering how the drive would be after a few Mai Tai's... O)

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,997 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luau

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well, I'm always an advocate for Smith's Family Lu'au, simply because it is that - it has been put on by the Smith (a Hawaiian family, despite the name) ohana for over 50 years in the same location - wonderful local folks and a little more

"Kaua'i-style" than some of the big productions from Tihati that come out of Honolulu - much more flashy and glitz, but Smith's just is probably just what a commercial lu'au was like back in the 1960's or late 1950's - and isn't quite as high tech as some. Local dancers and many cultures are showcased, more Pacific Rim countries are represented than just the usual Hawai'i, Tahiti and Samoa (fire knife) - they add some others as well. The location at the beautiful Smith's Tropical Paradise is also fantastic.

Wherever you decide to go, please have a designated driver - obviously mai tais are fun to have at a lu'au, but the narrow, winding roads that are much darker than most visitors are used to combined with drinking = disaster. They always serve virgin mai tais or guava punch, etc. for the designated drivers at all lu'aus.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Samoa
Samoa
South Pacific
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luau

We're staying up at Sealodge in Princeville, so we're going to the Mediterranean Gourmet Luaua this Tuesday. Will knock back a couple killer mai tais and stay late!

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI